What AV receiver to buy for £400ish?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Got a Panasonic plasma 42" & getting Panasonic BD30 blu-ray player(saw it working in a shop today - awesome!). Having a bit of a problem on deciding on what AV receiver to buy? I have an extensive vinyl LP collection. (Haven't got Marantz CD6002, PM6002 amp or Pro-ject RPM1 Genie yet). I've been looking at Onkyo model 605(606) as these have rave reviews for home cinema. But should I be looking at Pioneer and Yamaha models as well to cater for my music as well? Looking to spend no more than £400ish. Salesman in shop put me in 2 minds said Onkyo was aimed at Japanese market?!

I've only been in this game a few months so sorry you gotta start somewhere.

A

Anonymous

Hi mate i don't no much about the onkyo 606 but know the 605 is both good for music and films i went for the onkyo 805 in the end to be honest i think they are leading the reciver market at the moment.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]

Onkyo 606 review due up here by Monday....

[/quote]

Yes, Boss!

emotion-2.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]As the song goes: 'whip crack-away, whip crack-away, whip crack-away'
emotion-5.gif

[/quote]

If you get a whole load of pervy responses to that, you've only yourself to blame...

emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

As the song goes: 'whip crack-away, whip crack-away, whip crack-away'
emotion-5.gif

[/quote]

Change your picture to one of Ann Widdicombe and you will get away with that.

A

Anonymous

demo a denon or yamaha before you make a choice on a onk you might be surprised, i think its a great shame that these companies will not send some kit to whf to demo :p

A

Anonymous

[quote user="theysuckedhisbrainsout.com"][quote user="Clare Newsome"]
As the song goes: 'whip crack-away, whip crack-away, whip crack-away'
emotion-5.gif

[/quote]

Change your picture to one of Ann Widdicombe and you will get away with that.

[/quote]

im sure some sicko would still get off on that lol

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="darkside82"]demo a denon or yamaha before you make a choice on a onk you might be surprised, i think its a great shame that these companies will not send some kit to whf to demo :p[/quote]

We had a very productive meeting with Denon today - we'll be getting its new-season receivers, so there are some great Group Tests ahead.

FYI- have met with Yamaha, too. its 2008 receiver range starts at @£500 for HD audio models. They'll be in the review mix, too.

And as you'll see from this thread, we've bought the new Onkyo, too, to get the review to you first.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="matt444_2000"]
why wont denon or yamaha send kit?

[/quote]

Denon sent many of last years' models, but none could quite match the Onkyos (or indeed some of the Sony or Pioneer models) in our opinion. Rather like no-one else could match the Denons a few years back when they almost swept the board in our receiver Awards - these things are often cyclical, when one manufacturer judges the market/technology/pricing just right.

It seems Denon then wanted to wait until its new models - which are due anytime soon - were out. We'll be reviewing them when they're available.

Yamaha seemed to rather miss the boat on spec last year, which appears meant they didn't feel competitive enough to join in the test action. Again, that seems to have changed for 2008.

All good news for the consumer!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="darkside82"]demo a denon or yamaha before you make a choice on a onk you might be surprised, i think its a great shame that these companies will not send some kit to whf to demo :p[/quote]

We had a very productive meeting with Denon today - we'll be getting its new-season receivers, so there are some great Group Tests ahead.

FYI- have met with Yamaha, too. its 2008 receiver range starts at @£500 for HD audio models. They'll be in the review mix, too.

And as you'll see from this thread, we've bought the new Onkyo, too, to get the review to you first.
[/quote]

as mr burns would say "eeexcellent"

Hems

Nov 21, 2007
Visit site

[/quote]

Did Denon say when their new receivers will be available as i'm not sure if I should wait until they're out before I buy my first AV receiver.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts