What AV Receiever for Best Music

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,I have been driving myself mad by reading endless forums/reviews on this matter but I thought I would ask the experts. I owned until recently an Onkyo 675 and was never entirely happy with it. My main focus for an AV receiver is 70% music and 30% movies. I have done a lot of reading about the Onkyo 875 and the Yamaha 3800 but can't decide which one or any other for that matter would give me better music performance. I am planning to attach an iPod dock to the receiver or I am going to stream MP3's from my PS3.On the movie side I know the Onkyo appears to have a better upscalling chip but as I was never happy with the 675 I am tentative to go for an Onkyo again. They seem to have won all the awards this year but when your main focus is on music which one(s) should I consider? Any ideas/comments?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
FWIW I'm running an 875 through PMC OB1 speakers, and well over 50% of my listening is to CD and radio. I'd have no hesitation in suggesting it as the solution to your needs.

A

Anonymous

Cheers Andrew.

I was moving towards the Onkyo after doing more reading, it seems like the Reon processor produces better results and the onkyo has more future proofing technology. As I said in the orginal post I am not using CD's but either an iPod dock or the PS3. Can you suggest any other cheaper speaker options that would complement the 875?

Also, if the Onkyo wasn't out there, can I ask what you would go for?

Does anybody else have any views?

Thanks for your help!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I really only mentioned the OB1s to show that I reckon the 875 is capable of driving some very superior speakers with no problems - and it's even better with a pair of Musical Fidelity Superchargers on the front left and right channels, but that's a different matter.

The likes of the Tannoy Arena Highline 500s, a Monitor Audio RS package or the Dali Ikon 5.1 would work very well with the 875.

And if the 875 didn't exist? I'd go very oldskool and opt for the Audiolab 8000AV/8000x7 combination.

A

Anonymous

Cheers, would recommend anything from the B&W range?I am also considering the Onkyo 605 with the KEF KHT3005SE but I am not sure it would produce the same musical results.Last time I had a mix for my speakers with the Onkyo, is mixing brands not really a good idea?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
You could go the B&W 685 surround system route - while I think the KEF SE system is excellent, some full-size speakers such as the B&Ws would be a better bet for music.

Yes, mixing speakers is to be avoided if at all possible.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew.

Just one final question, do you think the 685 package would be good for the onkyo 875 or is it more geared towards the 605?

I like the Tannoys but I am moving to dubai and don't think I can get them out there.

Thanks again

Ian

A

Anonymous

Cheers. Can't decide whether to go for the onkyo 605 or the 875 as the prices with matching speakers are hugely different (ie tannoys or kef 3005SE) though the yamaha is still in my mind. What would you choose for the "average" user wanting a better music performance?

Also, have you or do what hfi have any plans to test the yamaha against the onkyo as the only thing against either Onkyo's is that they are damm ugly!!

A

Anonymous

Ive just bought the yamaha after listening to both the onkyo875 an yamaha and the yamaha won for me with stereo music

greetz Tamar

A

Anonymous

Cheers Backx

Can I ask what speaker package you listened to the Yamaha with? How did you find its movie performance? The Onkyo seems to have more in it but I am reading everywhere about how hot it gets. Also, was there a major difference for your ears with stereo performance?

kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
I compared yesterday the Onkyo 875 to the Yamaha 3800 and I must say the difference in stereo performance is not huge, also when using decent speakers as B&W or Dynaudio.
Unfortunately the dealer did not have the Pro AC speakers ( studio 130 or 140 ) which I would have liked to audition also with these receivers.
All in all I found the sound of the Yamaha slightly more pleasant for my ears.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Haven't heard the Yamaha, but I really rate the performance of the 875 in stereo, as well as with movies. But would suggest that to hear what it can really do some very serious speakers are needed.

A

Anonymous

i agree btw on the speaker question i listened to dali ikon 6 b&w 683,685 i think im going to buy the 683s for stereo but mainly the 683 over the ikon 6 becouse of my plans to run it without sub and i have a big room so the 683s are better for me....stil have to try them at home tough anyone got any more alternatives in this price range? and what kind of speaker cables would you reccomend?(not expensive couse i`ve already blown my budget a bit

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts