What are you listening to?

Page 196 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

idc

Electronica Post Rock instrumental by Talkdemonic who are from Portland, Oregon. Simple synth beats accompained by traditional instruments such as the banjo and violin. The album is called 'Beat Romantic'.

61y5XUHLftL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

idc

Described as experimental rock, Danish band Staraffenland have a lovely harmonic male vocals mixed with strong jazz/rock rhythms, some electronica and accoustic guitar and horns. It is really happy and uplifting music. Superb.

51JQWYnW4KL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

EDIT - Deep mega joy, Slaraffenland are the backing band for Efterklang who I have tickets for in April. Must be the influence of Bang & Olufsen and the bacon.

idc

Talk Demonic are another US post rock instrumental band who are folk, accoustic electronica. One big feature of post rock is the jazz drumming and how the drums are an integral part of the sound and not just provision of rhythm. I found this clip on YouTube of the track "Black Wood Crimson". I had not realised that the very complex arrangements were down to the two band members, Kevin OConnor on drums and Lisa Molinaro on violin and pre recorded music on a computer! This is wonderful.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXv_I6_RyNI&feature=related

...and an brilliant example of the US Post Rock music scene.

idc

Going from Talk Demonic to the Icelandic band Mum. Percussive, accoustic, electropop with harmonised vocals this has a lovely mellow and lush sound. The album is called 'Sing along to songs you don't like', but be assured there is nothing not to like here. If you like The Kings of Convenience try this....

51xY1OY0QkL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

idc

Got tickets to see Grails. It has been bugging me for a while why their sound is somehow familiar and now I realise it is because they have the North African influenced heavy rock sound of Robert Plant and some of his solo work, particularly the Mighty Rearranger album.

51fZPcJFtjL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

idc

dim_span:

That album reminds me of a trip to Austria. They dont have much morning TV, but we did find a programme that played music which was reminiscent of that album to pictures of Austria scenery. Wierd, but an enjoyable background to getting up. The Moody Blues are a much under-rated prog rock band IMHO.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts