What are you listening to now ?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
I like the DECCA label and Deutsche Grammophon, especially for piano work. The music is authentic, usually without fancy interpretations or embellishments. Some cheaper labels give you some very strange and sometimes rushed renditions.
Yeah, me too. I accidentally wrote Hyperion because I was thinking about Stephen Hough's release on Hyperion at the time, whilst writing that.
I read another review by a member of the public who definitely knows his music. He concluded reluctantly, apparently, after hours of comparisons of all the versions he has, over several days of listening then re-listening that Hough's release with Hyperion is the best available. Needless to say I found the cheapest "Very Good", secondhand copy I could and bought it.
I look forward to listening myself and seeing if it beats Earl Wild's sheer power, exhuberance and virtuosity.
So far, for me the Wild version, is undoubtedly the best I've heard.

Last edited:

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Yeah, me too. I accidentally wrote Hyperion because I was thinking about Stephen Hough's release on Hyperion at the time, whilst writing that.
I read another review by a member of the public who definitely knows his music. He concluded reluctantly, apparently, after hours of comparisons of all the versions he has, over several days of listening then re-listening that Hough's release with Hyperion is the best available. Needless to say I found the cheapest "Very Good", secondhand copy I could and bought it.
I look forward to listening myself and seeing if it beats Earl Wild's sheer power, exhuberance and virtuosity.
So far, for me the Wild version, is undoubtedly the best I've heard.
I listened to Stephen Hough playing the great man's work. I can't help but say I'm perplexed at the dude on the forum I was reading. How he came to the conclusion he did is beyond comprehension.
Stephen Hough is nowhere near Earl Wild. In fact, his version is bottom of my list of preferred recordings. I choose Valentina Lisitsa, Lukas Vondracek, both of Vladimir Ashkenazi's versions, one from the late 1960s and the other from the 1980s, as listening material before Stephen Hough. Sorry Stephen.IMG_20240111_083714.jpg

jeery111

Jan 9, 2024
Visit site
The Style couuncil.
Hello Andy!

It seems like you have a fantastic audio setup, with a mix of Marantz components, Rega turntable, and Q Acoustics speakers. Your diverse sources, including the Marantz CD player, turntables, and cassette deck, suggest a love for different formats of music.

What are you currently listening to on your impressive system? Whether it's a favorite album, an exploration of new genres, or a classic track, feel free to share your current musical preferences!

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
Hello Andy!

It seems like you have a fantastic audio setup, with a mix of Marantz components, Rega turntable, and Q Acoustics speakers. Your diverse sources, including the Marantz CD player, turntables, and cassette deck, suggest a love for different formats of music.

What are you currently listening to on your impressive system? Whether it's a favorite album, an exploration of new genres, or a classic track, feel free to share your current musical preference
Hello Andy!

What are you currently listening to on your impressive system? Whether it's a favorite album, an exploration of new genres, or a classic track, feel free to share your current musical preferences!
Thanks Jeery

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts