• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

What are the benefits of servicing an amp?

Al ears

Moderator
insider9 said:
What are the benefits of servicing an amp? And how often does one do it? Thanks
Benefits, I would have thought, are self explanatory but many people don't keep theirs along enough to require servicing. It you buy older amp then it may be necessary as capacitors and the like can degenerate. Pretty much depends on the type and make of amp. Most people, as I understand, don't bother.
 

insider9

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2016
739
298
5,270
I'm impressed daily with my setup so don't think I will be upgrading the amp anytime soon.

It's about 15 years old and sounds stunning. Would it be a good age to have it serviced? Is it likely to improve sound quality?
 

jmjones

Well-known member
Mar 8, 2009
49
12
18,545
Had my power amp serviced after some 15 years, and the only maintenance prior to that was occasionally blowing out with compressed air. Service chap replaced some capacitors and told me two of the channels were "down 20%". I think it's largely about avoiding long term degradation. Given it's age, his advice on frequency was to bring it back in three years - seemed reasonable. You need someone you can trust to avoid being fleeced. I'd suggest it's more about peace of mind than anything else.
 

insider9

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2016
739
298
5,270
I've contacted Primare UK service centre. The price seems reasonable at £150 for full service. Or is it? As it would take 7-14 days I'd have to wait until the summer so it's done when I'm away.
 

jmjones

Well-known member
Mar 8, 2009
49
12
18,545
£150 would seem reasonable to me for the price of the amp. Why don't you try it once and ask them to detail any findings? Did they have a recommendation for frequency?
 

insider9

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2016
739
298
5,270
I've only exchanged emails with them and didn't go into details. Enquiry was price and time frame. Since time frame is a bit more than I'm prepared to wait I didn't ask about details. I will ask closer to time and post any findings. Thanks Jmjones and Al Ears.
 

Al ears

Moderator
insider9 said:
I've contacted Primare UK service centre. The price seems reasonable at £150 for full service. Or is it? As it would take 7-14 days I'd have to wait until the summer so it's done when I'm away.
That doesn't seem bad at all. You are lucky to own an amp that still has a recognized service department.. :)

Me, I guess I am lucky also, it just goes back to the man down the valley.
 

insider9

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2016
739
298
5,270
Al ears said:
insider9 said:
I've contacted Primare UK service centre. The price seems reasonable at £150 for full service. Or is it? As it would take 7-14 days I'd have to wait until the summer so it's done when I'm away.
That doesn't seem bad at all. You are lucky to own an amp that still has a recognized service department.. :)

Me, I guess I am lucky also, it just goes back to the man down the valley.
Indeed, very lucky to have gone with Primare. All credit goes to you Al for recommending it :)

Primare UK service is done by a company called Karma AV located in York so could even pay them a visit. They also service Mark Levinson, Revel, SVS so can't see them doing a poor job with companies like that trusting them with their products.
 

Al ears

Moderator
insider9 said:
Al ears said:
insider9 said:
I've contacted Primare UK service centre. The price seems reasonable at £150 for full service. Or is it? As it would take 7-14 days I'd have to wait until the summer so it's done when I'm away.
That doesn't seem bad at all. You are lucky to own an amp that still has a recognized service department.. :)

Me, I guess I am lucky also, it just goes back to the man down the valley.
Indeed, very lucky to have gone with Primare. All credit goes to you Al for recommending it :)

Primare UK service is done by a company called Karma AV located in York so could even pay them a visit. They also service Mark Levinson, Revel, SVS so can't see them doing a poor job with companies like that trusting them with their products.
Apparently they are very good, purely word of mouth you understand. It becomes more difficult if you own an old amp from a manufacturer that no longer exists. Yes an amp is an amp but it's always handy for repairer if he can actually see a circuit diagram. ;-)
 

Gaz37

Well-known member
Sep 23, 2014
58
0
10,540
I guess moving parts such as controls are cleaned and lubricated but otherwise I can't see what is involved, there are no adjustable parts or parts that are routinely replaced (like oil & air filters on cars) are there?
 

jmjones

Well-known member
Mar 8, 2009
49
12
18,545
I'd suggest the biggest problem is capacitor degradation. Effectively, you lose power/efficiency and potentially things start to hum!! So it's a circuit check and replacement.

Unlike a car, you probably have nothing to do for a long time before things start to deteriorate. Worth a check after 15 years though.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts