What amplifier

2chris

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
I have just moved home after getting married and between us we have a Roksan caspian m2 cd player and Kef ls50 speakers. We now want to update an old (and very loved) cambridge audio amp that I have had for 20 years. At my age I have a lot of LPs as well as CDs and also use headphones (grado). I have resigned my self to having to get a separate headphone amp but would appreciate advice on what amp might go with the roskan and kefs and has a phone stage.

It will go into a relatively small room approx 15x15ft that also serves as a library.

Was thinking of a Rega Elicit-R but wondered if anyone could advise?

Chris

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
I have'nt heard the Elicit-r  but recently demo the Elex-r vs Arcam A29. I end up ordering the Arcam to replace my Brio-r. I'll post a new thread to share my experienced when it arrived
Good job....I didn't know there was an A29.

2chris

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi there,

Thanks for this. Interestingly a month or two ago I did try the Arcam - it had the phono and headphone links, but I thought it sounded rather thin when in this combination. Amy Winehouse came through really clearly but to the detriment of the background music. Simialrly Daltry was almost in the roo on Quarrophenia but the wonderful sense of the waves crashing around you was los - it was alomst as if the tide had gone out! I have looked for a dealer who stocks Creek, Kef and Roksan so I can test but ith no uck at all here n Devon but the 100a is one that interests me.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Which Arcam did you hear and in what system?

It seems strange that the Arcam sounded "thin", as this is not a trait I would associate with the brand. They can be a little smooth and unexciting for some tastes, especially the older models. I suspect something else was at play here and it may be worth giving it another try....especially those with Class G topology.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
The newer Arcams still sound big and warm but I feel they are a more muscular sounding than my old A28 and my current A38. I would agree with Cno and check em out again as they sound far from thin!

Good luck!

iceman16

The A29 never sounded "thin" IME during the demo with the ls50. The scale, dynamics, transparency and depth are quite remarkable at this price point IMO. The Elex-R sounded lean and with less bottom end compared to A29. Im not quite a big fan of the previous Arcam amps but the new class-G really impressed me.
regular_smile.gif

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
The A29 never sounded "thin" IME during the demo with the ls50. The scale, dynamics, transparency and depth are quite remarkable at this price point IMO. The Elex-R sounded lean and with less bottom end compared to A29. Im not quite a big fan of the previous Arcam amps but the new class-G really impressed me.
I have found that Arcam's Class G has a quality that has echos of the 35i...in fact the A49 is (IMO) so good that it was snapping on the heels of the MF. So I'm not surprised at your decision. I know how good the AVR600 sounds with the LS50s

2chris

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
I have not heard the A29 but the one I tested with a roksan m2 and kefls50s was the a39. I had read that the bass was strong but in this combination the individual vocalists sounded superb but almost to the detriment of the instruments. I appreciate everyone has a slightly different perception and this is why I was particluarly interetsed in how the rega might sound in this combination. I had considered the Creek 100a but cannot find a dealer locally who stocks the appoproate combination.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Chris, you could join the half million yen 30kg amplifer club for less than the price of a new Rega Elicit R:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Yamaha-M-2-High-End-Endstufe-sowie-Yamaha-C-2a-High-End-Vorverstarker-Set-/231677506345?hash=item35f10e3329

Or you could join the Accuphase Owners Club:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Accuphase-E-301-High-End-Vintage-Vollverstarker-/281764807418?hash=item419a7dc2fa

Or you could make an offer on this SAE combo:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/COMBO-SAE-MARK-IB-PREAMPLIFIER-AND-MARK-IV-CM-AMPLIFIER-/191677051749?hash=item2ca0d7b365

Or you could get the same amp as Gromit:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Sony-TA-F770ES-Esprit-High-End-Verstarker-Amplifier-mit-System-FB-RM-S703-/311323587444?hash=item487c54f374

Etc etc etc...

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
M22 with a suitable pre-amp would be a good choice.

If buying amplifiers from the States, be aware of possible 120 volt mains issues (which can be overcome).

2chris

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Well, Thanks to everyone and their advice. I have finally plumped for a rega elicit - r, which had been returned after 6 months as the owner wished to upgrade.

To recap the system is now KEF LS50s, Roksan Caspian M2 CD and Rega Elicit -r amp.

I have to say the sound is sublime and it is as if they were made for each oher. Female volaists such as Amy Winehouse are clear and powerful and appear to be in the same room as me. Backing music, whether classical, jazz, blues or rock also manges somehow to have great component clarity across the while musical range whilst retaining a feeling of whole and great musicaity.

I am blown away by this combination and also the fact that I picked it all up through clearance or returns at a fractionof the full cost and yet one its all less than 6 omths old or has full guarentee.

If you are looking to upgrade, do give this combination a try. I know all hearing is different but I'm as pleased as punch.

Now looking for a headphone amp to go with my Grados!

Chris

SteveR750

2chris said:
Well, Thanks to everyone and their advice. I have finally plumped for a rega elicit - r,  which had been returned after 6 months as the owner wished to upgrade.?

To recap the system is now KEF LS50s, Roksan Caspian M2 CD and Rega Elicit -r amp.

I have to say the sound is sublime and it is as if they were made for each oher. Female volaists such as Amy Winehouse are clear and powerful and appear to be in the same room as me. Backing music, whether classical, jazz, blues or rock also manges somehow to have great component clarity across the while musical range whilst retaining a feeling of whole and great musicaity.

I am blown away by this combination and also the fact that I picked it all up through clearance or returns at a fractionof the full cost and yet one its all less than 6 omths old or has full guarentee.

If you are looking to upgrade, do give this combination a try. I know all hearing is different but I'm as pleased as punch.?

Now looking for a headphone amp to go with my Grados!

Chris

Great news, well done!

Headphone amp try ebay for musical fidelity.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Good stuff, always great to hear when folks have found their audio nirvana!

ive not had a proper session with the Rega but when I did hear it, it sounded great with vocals as you have mentioned but I found it every so slightly thin. Maybe I'm just used to my Arcam!

Most of my gear has been ex demo or new second hand too. In fact, my new speakers have been one of my only full priced purchases (other than the odd cable and my new bluray!)

Enjoy!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
the Elicit R is a transparent clean amp, wouldnt call it thin !

It will reveal the quality of the source to a degree, so as always buy the best source you can afford.

a £200 source through a £1600 amp is going to be somewhat unblanced !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts