mr brightside

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi, could one of you guys tell me which amp originally went with this system? Ignore the CD-RW at the top, that's not part of it; the units are- ST-GT350, SL-P277A, RS-BX501. It was for sale at a village fair for £30, but i'd only turned up to do the fell race and thought about it for a bit too long. When i went back the guy had split the set and sold the amp for a tenner, i did however get the speakers for £5- Mordaunt Short MS20i, and managed to secure the rest of it yesterday.

All i can remember about the amp is that it had the same nipple shaped bass/tre/bal knobs as the tape deck has on it, they were on the left with the vol knob in the middle, it was big- at least the height of the tape deck, it had an extractor fan in the back, and it had 200w screen printed on the back. I'd like to reunite the proper unit with the set, i'm guessing i can pick one up online somehow. Cheers!

26863080054_c5e85be76d_c.jpg

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
mr brightside said:
I'd like to reunite the proper unit with the set, i'm guessing i can pick one up online somehow.

It's not so much a set as a stack of Technics separates - the more square-cut CD player sticks out from the curved front-plates of the rest of the stack, for example.

The amp was probably an SU-A600 or SU-A700, which was part of Technics' early 1990s attempt at challenging the Arcam amps then prominent in the UK market: it was a 'UK tuned' project between the Japanese engineers and staff based here.

So one of those amps, or even an SU-A800 or SU-A900, would match nicely, both visually and sonically. They're not too hard to find on the usual 'pre-loved'(!) sites.

mr brightside

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
Bought an A700 from everyone's favourite internet auction site to complete the set, cheers for the input (no pun intended).

I've also decided to change the amp on my turntable setup to a Denon 350 or similar, is it wise to avoid the PMA-355UK? I've heard they can become faulty due to excessive heat buildup- dry solder joints and the like. I lost out on a good looking 350 because the seller timed the auction to finish at 1.30 monday afternoon (today), very annoying, not being an expert like a lot of you i rely on good photos to assess condition and nothing seems to fit the bill right now.

manix

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Even that SL-P277A would have a decent laser mech in by todays standard, probably something like a CDM4/11 or 19 which I could only wish my cyrus had the same quality in.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts