what amp for spendor A6

rrm

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Just heard the spendor A6 driven by a Mcintosh integrated and was impressed with the coherence .Could use a bit more PRAT though.

Any ideas about an amp that would give it a bit more life without losing the other splendid musical qualities?

rrm

rrm said:
Just heard the spendor A6 driven by a Mcintosh integrated and was impressed with the coherence .Could use a bit more PRAT though.

Any ideas about an amp that would give it a bit more life without losing the other splendid musical qualities?

rrm

Hi rrm

What amplifier, source component/s and cabling are you currently using?

What do you generally listen to?

Is your preference for an integrated amplifier, pre/power or either?

Your general listening level?

Power requirements?

Your overall budget?

In the mean time ATC's SIA2-150 MK2, Naim NAC 202/NAP 200 and Densen's B-150 Plus or B-200 Plus/B-320 plus are worth bearing in mind.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

rrm

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for responses.

I am currently using a Plinius 8200 integrated( a bit on the warm/lazy but very pleasant side), lots of power and firm bass control driving Epos ES 14s . I listen mostly to classical on vinyl. Looking for another integrated up to ~ 2000 pounds. Was wondering about valves with the Spendors...... or would I then not get the PRAT I am looking for. I dont want to compromise the tonal balance.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
rrm said:
Thanks for responses.

I am currently using a Plinius 8200 integrated( a bit on the warm/lazy but very pleasant side), lots of power and firm bass control driving Epos ES 14s . I listen mostly to classical on vinyl. Looking for another integrated up to ~ 2000 pounds. Was wondering about valves with the Spendors...... or would I then not get the PRAT I am looking for. I dont want to compromise the tonal balance.

Maybe consider the following amps:

Unison Research Unico Secondo
Sugden A21 al
Electrocompaniet ECI-3
Musical Fidelity M6i (if you can find one ex-dem)
Pathos Classic One Mk111

I'm not sure how much better or not they are to the Plinius....maybe just different.

rrm said:
Thanks for responses.

Hi rrm

I deal with Plinius products and if you're happy to consider a used/discontinued amplifier then the Plinius 9200 is worth seeking out as it will build on the qualities of the already impressive 8200 by giving better quality of power and all round performance which will include a cleaner and more detailed presentation with greater drive, grip, control as well as pace, rhythm and timing. You should find a 9200 around £2k.

A little over budget but Densen's B-130 Plus @ £2150 is also worth a look.

I can't see why you can't get a valve amplifier with good pace, rhythm and timing. Hopefully Forum member Globs will see this thread and can advise you further on valve amplification.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

rrm

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the comments so far.I am still with my Plinus 8200 but looking to improve. It s a bit dark sounding with the spendors

I put on some early Elton John from the early seventies when he was quite young and he sounded like baritone-an elderly baritone at that!

Any ideas/sugestions about a suitable valve amp to drive the Spendors. I had always assumed that they need well damped solid state -if only to control the bass I am concerned that unless I spend way over budget (£1.5 K) I wont be able to get enough power from valves but I would be interesting in trying some out if anyone can point me towards something suitable

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts