What amp for my speaker and turntable

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Now I’ve seen your speaker pictures, it looks like they were set up for bi-amping, or bi-wiring. You’ll need a separate pair for both bass and treble for each speaker. Therefore, instead of the usual pair of speaker cables for stereo, you’ll need four (two pairs). I’d hesitate to get pre-made bi-wire cables as the distance between the speaker input looks quite large.

If you’re fully aware of this already, then as you were. If you haven’t the faintest idea what I’m on about, please revert!

Last edited:

Jimboh

Jul 27, 2021
Visit site
Now I’ve seen your speaker pictures, it looks like they were set up for bi-amping, or bi-wiring. You’ll need a separate pair for both bass and treble for each speaker. Therefore, instead of the usual pair of speaker cables for stereo, you’ll need four (two pairs). I’d hesitate to get pre-made bi-wire cables are the distance between the speaker input looks quite large.

If you’re fully aware of this already, then as you were. If you haven’t the faintest idea what I’m on about, please revert!

Hi, thanks for the input. I think they were originally used for bi-amping. I think, to start with, I will bi-wire. I have naim speaker cable already, and it’s still in the condition it was for bi-amping. I just assume when it comes to bi-wiring, I’ll need to remove the banana plugs from the wire going into the amp? (Not that I’m 100% sure yet on how to biwire)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 2
If they’re actually banana plugs, then they’re pretty universal, but Naim use those ones pictured with the pins at a fixed distance apart. The thing is, the Naim amps only have a single pair of speakers ‘outs’, so you’d need a Naim dealer to advise how to get four wires into one of those plugs. I’m not sure it'll work!

Any other amp with A+B speaker outputs will accommodate the wiring, however. Perhaps you need a jumper connection on the speakers, but if they’re just sockets it’s harder that when you have sockets that take plugs, spades or bare wire - these are common on contemporary designs.

You could try Naim’s own forum, if you’d prefer not to ask a dealer. Or somebody here may chip in, because I can see the issue but I’m unsure of the best solution!

insider9

I have been speaking with the nice folks over at Richer Sounds, and they reckon I need a more powerful amp for the speakers I have - I’ve attached some photos. They’ve suggested the Cambridge AudioCXA81 amp - but at a cool grand, this is not the cheap starter set up I was looking for. I want cheap, but I don’t want to damage anything either. The cheaper amp they reckon is underpowered is the Sony STR-DH190.
Ok, so they think that Sony at 100Wpc is underpowered and then they suggest Cambridge at 80Wpc? I appreciate that power isn't everything but crikey what an "advice"

I don't believe your speakers are a difficult load. That Sony should handle them and so should most reasonably built amps. I'd get whatever meets your criteria in your budget and then with time you'll know what you like/dislike and whether you want an upgrade.

Reactions: Al ears and Jimboh

rainsoothe

Ok, so they think that Sony at 100Wpc is underpowered and then they suggest Cambridge at 80Wpc? I appreciate that power isn't everything but crikey what an "advice"

I don't believe your speakers are a difficult load. That Sony should handle them and so should most reasonably built amps. I'd get whatever meets your criteria in your budget and then with time you'll know what you like/dislike and whether you want an upgrade.
Maybe the dealer was talking about current delivery, which can easily be interpreted as having a discussion about power.

Jimboh

Jul 27, 2021
Visit site
Little update on this. I visited the Naim forum (with some fear and trepidation) and I have learnt a lot. It would appear that my father removed the crossover box from the speakers, setting them up for active. This means to get these speakers working I will need two power amps, an electronic crossover, and a preamp 😬

Suffice to say, this is going to be a long term project.

I’ve also realised I’ve said I’ve got a Rega 2, when in actual fact it’s a Rega 3.

I still want to get the turntable working, so...open to recommendations for used affordable speaker amp combinations - I want to get the Credo’s working in due course, so don’t want to spend big money now.

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
“Naim cables can be costly”. That’s not entirely accurate. Linn k20 aka naca4 is 5quid a meter so about the same as “cheap” qed and more importantly is bang on spec if needed. As I stated will cost about 40quid for the required lengths for the pair.

As I stated only needed on the early examples. Chrome bumper for example.

Naim nait 5i the op would be absolutely fine. As they include that all important network and you can use what ever cables you like. and the credos will sound as intended by there manufacturers.
I worked for an Audio and Television company and the sound engineers while assessing sound components used 13amp mains cable for speaker wire.

D

Deleted member 116933

I worked for an Audio and Television company and the sound engineers while assessing sound components used 13amp mains cable for speaker wire.

That's great and that works for many system's, but for naim and early models, in particular, need a very specific cable at a very specific minimum length. To not use it with these amps will lead to the amp running away and overheating and causing damage which to this day naim write in the manual and warranty void on some models if used without the right cables..

I'm not talking about sound quality here I'm talking about manufactured spec

TenTonTarantula

Aug 17, 2021
Visit site
no no no you don't need to spend that kind of money on a Cambridge audio cxa 81

Did you say it's a temporary amp ?

Rotel a11 tribute for £500 can do it mabye even better than the Cambridge audio cxa 81 and have more then enough power for your speakers

View: https://youtu.be/eby5aN5D1hw

View attachment 2632

I just bought the Rotel (from RS) to drive some LS50s after coming across exactly these two bits of info. Works a treat.

Reactions: gasolin

TRENDING THREADS