What am I doing wrong here?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
This is my first setup, and I'm having difficulty getting the quality of sound I was expecting.

First off, here's my setup:

Pair of B&W 685's, the model before the latest version

Arcam A65+ Amp

Can't remember the cabling, but it's of medium quality.

Here's the crutch though, I'm using a 3.5mm to phono cable to connect my Laptop/iPod into the amp.

When I play music, the quality isn't discernable between 128kbps MP3, and uncompressed wav files- or can I only really expect awful sound when using a 3.5mm cable?

Should I buy a DAC, or perhaps get a good iPod dock like a cambridge audio id50?

Any help is much apprecated :)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
e10-fred said:
This is my first setup, and I'm having difficulty getting the quality of sound I was expecting.

Arcam A65+ Amp

Here's the crutch though, I'm using a 3.5mm to phono cable to connect my Laptop/iPod into the amp.

When I play music, the quality isn't discernable between 128kbps MP3, and uncompressed wav files- or can I only really expect awful sound when using a 3.5mm cable?

Should I buy a DAC, or perhaps get a good iPod dock like a cambridge audio id50?

Sounds like your sound card is letting the side down. A DAc will help

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
e10-fred said:

Arcam A65+ Amp

Sounds like your sound card is letting the side down. A DAc will help

matthewpiano

That is never going to be the most spritely sounding combination though the Arcam and the B&Ws together should give you fantastic imaging and tonal quality. I agree that you need to invest in a good quality USB DAC. I'd probably avoid the Arcam rDAC and go for something a little more lively sounding to balance the system out a bit.

A

Anonymous

I'm learning here too...

Would the 128kbps files not have a bearing, you're well away from lossless recordings?

With bitrate removed, then fired through a quite basic connection into a nice amp/speaker combo, would you not be on a hiding to nothing trying to improve the kit... it's the source, the mp3 file, surely?

matthewpiano

What the OP is saying is that it makes no difference whether he uses a basic MP3 file or an uncompressed WAV file. This shows that the connection is limiting his system (the amp and speakers are more than good enough to reveal the differences in connection/DAC).

Fisherking 145

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
It must be the connection. 3.5mm to phono cables aren't known for sounding the best, so yes, I'd agree with everyone else, a USB DAC will be the way to go. If you are mainly going to use the iPod, a GQ 24 cable would be a worthwhile investment, and would bring an improvement.You might be able to get one to try.

A

Anonymous

As other forum members have said, a dac will make a difference, i found the jump from 3.5mm/phono to my usb dac was huge, the sound becomes more 3 dimensional, every aspect of the sound quality will improve, also imo 128 bit mp3 sounds poor but its up to you test various file formats and let your ears decide :grin:

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you need a better DAC. The DAC inside your computer isn't up to the job.

A USB DAC like the HRT Music Streamer or MF V-DAC should produce a significant improvement.

If you prefer to listen via the iPod more than computer, docks are worth a look. Some output analogue for connection to amp, other docks output digital for connection to a DAC. Some offer both. You might lose a small amount of sound quality for a bit more convenience.

John Duncan

Do you have your laptop plugged into the mains or are you running off battery? Whilst the guys here are right that a DAC will make a big difference, your soundcard might not be *that* bad - however, laptops are (generalising) horrendous things electrically and can add huge noise to the audio out if plugged into the mains. Unplugging from the power supply will make a big difference, and subsequently adding a DAC will make things better still.

The headphone out of an iPod is to be avoided as well, in my experience, and even a modest dock should offer an improvement.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys, seems like the HRT Music Streamer is in order! My 3.5mm to Phono is only a £7 belkin wire so not much can be expected. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts