What albums to test your Hi-Fi

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
These tracks pretty much tick all my musical boxes and are what I would normally use to demo equipment.
The Who - Who's Next (Baba O'reily & Behind blue eyes)
The Who - Tommy (Overture)
Frank Sinatra - It was a very good year
Lenny Kravitz - Let love rule (freedom train)
Red hot chilli peppers - Bloodsugar (funky monks)
Led Zep 1 (babe I'm gonna leave you)
Mike Oldfield - Tubular bells (parts of side one)
Crosby, Stills & Nash - You don't have to cry
Pink Floyd - Dark side (Us & them)

A

Anonymous

Cassandra Wilson now there is a lady who knows a thing or two about jazz. She has some class albums.

A

Anonymous

I.D.C.:
lydgate,Your choice of music is very good. BUT and it's a "BIG BUT" The production on these albums are not the best. I have them also. You might not agree which is fair enough just my opinion. The original poster should take the music he likes the most. Music he knows very well is important. Not new sounds to him.

You may well be right, I'm just saying I test with albums that I know very well and enjoy. I'm interested that you don't think that Talking Heads aren't well produced -- do you just think that album isn't well produced, or that Brian Eno isn't a good producer? What do you think of the albums he did with Roxy Music (Roxy Music, For Your Pleasure) or the albums he did with David Bowie (Low, 'Heroes', Lodger)? What about his album with Byrne (My Life in the Bush of Ghosts)?

I think all those albums sound very good and it never occurred to me that they weren't well produced -- but maybe that's just a problem with my hifi :p

jubair

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
I'm not too bothered about production, I tend to choose something from each genre of music I listen to and albums I've listened to a lot so I'm familiar with the music. I auditioned some speakers yesterday and chose the spendor a5's in the end.

The music I used to test them was:

ghostface 'supreme clientele'

weezer 'pinkerton'

david bowie 'low'

interpol ' turn on the bright lights'

air france 'no way down'

michale mayer 'immer'

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts