What advantage using DAC

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
What advantage is there in using a DAC converter rather than just having a lead from my laptop headphone socket to the 'audio in' socket on my amp?

noogle

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
1) Better sound quality. The DACs built into laptops aren't very good and can also pick up electrical noise from the other components in the laptop.

2) Support for hi-rez digital music download formats e.g. 96/24 or 192/24.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Because the standard built-in sound card, found inside the average computer, probably has about 20p worth of components dedicated to the quality of the analogue output which will - invariably - be designed to be used with a pair of sub £50, plastic desktop PC speakers.

A standalone DAC costing £200 will have about £20's worth of components and will make a much better job of it. (Probably as good as the DAC found inside a £500 CD player or a top end AV reciever.)

Basically it's going to sound better because the manufacturer can spend 100 times more money on much higher quality components and still make a nice profit.

A

Anonymous

swoosta said:
What advantage is there in using a DAC converter rather than just having a lead from my laptop headphone socket to the 'audio in' socket on my amp?

Better sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts