What a beauty...line magnetic LM 219ia

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
newlash09 said:
Those tubes are supposed to reach 3900 fareinheit during operation. And due to direct heating of the tubes, they consume 1000V dc per tube :)

Brilliant! Central heating, toaster and amp all in one.  ;-)

Must have some cunning cooling because glass melts at around 2600 F.

Must be a mistype in the review I just perused then :)

But will still do the all in one job if required

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
newlash09 said:
Those tubes are supposed to reach 3900 fareinheit during operation. And due to direct heating of the tubes, they consume 1000V dc per tube :)

Brilliant! Central heating, toaster and amp all in one. ;-)

While we are being picky, nothing 'consumes' voltage. The measure of power is watts - which is volts x amps.

These amps are dreadfully inefficient. All the problems of class A, plus the need to have a red hot filament in the valve.

Impressive, in the same way a steam locomotive is impressive. Give me a transistor any day.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
andyjm said:
Al ears said:
newlash09 said:

While we are being picky, nothing 'consumes' voltage.  The measure of power is watts - which is volts x amps.

These amps are dreadfully inefficient.  All the problems of class A, plus the need to have a red hot filament in the valve.

Impressive, in the same way a steam locomotive is impressive.  Give me a transistor any day.

They are all gaga over the tube sound. I had heard a high end system with a ayon tube preamp and SS power amp feeding the B&W 800 series diamond floor standers. The smoothness in the treble was the best I've heard. And female vocals were the ' singer in the room' experience. I thought it was because of the tubes. Do you think it was because of the speakers. And does a pure solid state A class amp, resemble the tube sound. Thanks

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
newlash09 said:
andyjm said:
Al ears said:
newlash09 said:

While we are being picky, nothing 'consumes' voltage. The measure of power is watts - which is volts x amps.

These amps are dreadfully inefficient. All the problems of class A, plus the need to have a red hot filament in the valve.

Impressive, in the same way a steam locomotive is impressive. Give me a transistor any day.

They are all gaga over the tube sound. I had heard a high end system with a ayon tube preamp and SS power amp feeding the B&W 800 series diamond floor standers. The smoothness in the treble was the best I've heard. And female vocals were the ' singer in the room' experience. I thought it was because of the tubes. Do you think it was because of the speakers. And does a pure solid state A class amp, resemble the tube sound. Thanks

To my ears, Tubes sound different to Transistors, even when in class A circuit. Tubes seem to have an uncanny ability to sound holographic and more realistic than most SS Amps can manage. The speakers are merely telling it as it is.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
newlash09 said:
andyjm said:
Al ears said:
newlash09 said:

While we are being picky, nothing 'consumes' voltage.  The measure of power is watts - which is volts x amps.

These amps are dreadfully inefficient.  All the problems of class A, plus the need to have a red hot filament in the valve.

Impressive, in the same way a steam locomotive is impressive.  Give me a transistor any day.

To my ears, Tubes sound different to Transistors, even when in class A circuit. Tubes seem to have an uncanny ability to sound holographic and more realistic than most SS Amps can manage. The speakers are merely telling it as it is.

That is what I experienced when I heard my friends system. Though it was just a tube preamp. The female vocals were there in the room. I guess iam now hooked to the tube sound :)

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Infiniteloop said:
newlash09 said:
andyjm said:
Al ears said:
newlash09 said:

That is what I experienced when I heard my friends system. Though it was just a tube preamp. The female vocals were there in the room. I guess iam now hooked to the tube sound :)

I’m at the Sound and Vision show in Bristol. Just heard PMC’s being driven by a Cary integrated Valve Amp. Definitely one of the best sounds here.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
newlash09 said:
Infiniteloop said:
newlash09 said:
andyjm said:
Al ears said:
newlash09 said:

I’m at the Sound and Vision show in Bristol. Just heard PMC’s being driven by a Cary integrated Valve Amp. Definitely one of the best sounds here. 

Really glad to know the combination is working out well :)

As and when I plan to go the tri amping route, I plan to try a tube amp for the middle and highs atleast. :)

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Infiniteloop said:
newlash09 said:
Infiniteloop said:
newlash09 said:
andyjm said:
Al ears said:
newlash09 said:

Really glad to know the combination is working out well :)

As and when I plan to go the tri amping route, I plan to try a tube amp for the middle and highs atleast. :)

I wouldn’t bother making things so complicated. A single integrated will make them sing.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Probably it will...but it wouldn't give many options to tweak the system, whenever Iam bored.

I just saw the Cary website describing their demonstration kit at Bristol. There was one tube integrated called the Cary sli100 and one normal integrated with tube pre amp stage called the si 300.2 d. The latter looks like a normal hifi amplifier with two displays. Which was the one you heard playing. Thanks :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts