Question What £5,000 amp?

Forkbeard

Sep 19, 2017
Visit site
Hi Guys, I am not looking for recommendations, just subjective opinions. I am about to spend £5,000 on a Yamaha A-S3200. If you were about to spend £5k on an amp which amp would you go for and why and what speakers would you partner it with?

Reactions: MUSICRAFT
Hi Guys, I am not looking for recommendations, just subjective opinions. I am about to spend £5,000 on a Yamaha A-S3200. If you were about to spend £5k on an amp which amp would you go for and why and what speakers would you partner it with?
The question is why are you spending £5000 on the Yamaha and what speakers do you plan to use it with?
Nobody can answer your question about speakers as we know nothing about your listening room, it could be a barn.... :)
My money would be on a Luxman L-507uXII

Reactions: rainsoothe

Forkbeard

Sep 19, 2017
Visit site
The question is why are you spending £5000 on the Yamaha and what speakers do you plan to use it with?
Nobody can answer your question about speakers as we know nothing about your listening room, it could be a barn.... :)

Well actually that wasn’t the question because I wasn’t looking for recommendations, I was just interested to know what people are spending their money on but fairs fair 😁, the reason I am buying that particular amp is because I have had a Yamaha A-S1100 for a few years and I absolutely love it so when Yamaha brought out the A-S3200 I felt it was time for a change and when I listened to it I was blown away by the sound, and who couldn’t love those VU meters 🤣. My partnering speakers are Monitor Audio Gold 200’s.

rainsoothe

Same as above, depends on speakers. For my tastes, it would be sh Naim pre-power - a Nac 282 and Nap 250dr, but I'd also look at Accuphase, and I've also been reading great stuff about a brand called Moonriver Audio - and if they sound as good as they look (and reviewed), they're worth very serious consideration.

Reactions: Forkbeard
Same as above, depends on speakers. For my tastes, it would be sh Naim pre-power - a Nac 282 and Nap 250dr, but I'd also look at Accuphase, and I've also been reading great stuff about a brand called Moonriver Audio - and if they sound as good as they look (and reviewed), they're worth very serious consideration.
Agree with you on Moonriver 404 Reference, was interested myself but so difficult to get to audition.
PS:- I don't think you are going to find a new Accuphase for £5000......

Forkbeard

Sep 19, 2017
Visit site
I must admit I have heard very good things about Accuphase, perhaps I will go and audition one.

Gray

Based solely on a review I read, I think the Hegel H590 might be good. Then I remembered that one is £9000, so I'll need to save for an extra week.

(To be honest, I couldn't justify 5 grand in a semi-detached house).

I suppose the pertinent question is what £5k to match the Monitor Audios? Other than Yamaha, I would look at Arcam A49 (only available s/hand now), Leema Tucana Anniversary - one of the best sub-6k amp I've heard, based on the MKII version I owned.

In addition Creek Voyage i20 should be a cracking match, as should be Cambridge The Edge.

With all the above you could look at speaker upgrade such as Monitor Audio Platinum range.

Luxman is a good shout from @Al ears but would guess Monitor Audios wouldn't be a great match. I would look at Wilson Benesch or Harbeth 5HL.

All depends on sources. If you have vinyl few at that price come with built-in phono stages, so factor in a budget for that.

One thing I do know for sure is you are unlikely to pick up a poor amp, but synergy is crucial.

I suppose the pertinent question is what £5k to match the Monitor Audios? Other than Yamaha, I would look at Arcam A49 (only available s/hand now), Leema Tucana Anniversary - one of the best sub-6k amp I've heard, based on the MKII version I owned.

In addition Creek Voyage i20 should be a cracking match, as should be Cambridge The Edge.

With all the above you could look at speaker upgrade such as Monitor Audio Platinum range.

Luxman is a good shout from @Al ears but would guess Monitor Audios wouldn't be a great match. I would look at Wilson Benesch or Harbeth 5HL.

All depends on sources. If you have vinyl few at that price come with built-in phono stages, so factor in a budget for that.

One thing I do know for sure is you are unlikely to pick up a poor amp, but synergy is crucial.
I'd be interested to know why you consider Luxman and MA not to be a good match - with apologies to the OP

Funnily enough last Sunday I brought home a pair of Monitor Audio's 5G Gold 200's to use during this lockdown period. Current system is - dCS Network Bridge > DENAFRIPS Ares II > Sugden Audio A21 SE Signature > 5G Gold 200. This system sounds mighty fine :)

Btw, 5G Gold 200's also work well with amps such as Sugden Audio's Masterclass ANV-50 and ATC's SIA2-150MK2 (y)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts