Question Wharfedale Linton or rather something else?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jorge

Apr 9, 2020
Visit site
The problem is that at 63 years old I have not planned a change of address and I would like to enjoy something better than what I have had for 30 years and I am very clear that my B&W DM 220 will last longer than me.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
The problem is that at 63 years old I have not planned a change of address and I would like to enjoy something better than what I have had for 30 years and I am very clear that my B&W DM 220 will last longer than me.

Hello sir :)

I had the first gen bluesound power node, which is still doing stellar duty in my sister's place, coupled with the qacoustics concept 20's.

In my place, I was running it with the qacoustics concept 40's. Then on a whim, I added a qacoustics q2070i sub, through the sub woofer output, crossed over at 80hz. And the bass got deeper and cleaner.

Since the qacoustics concept 40's are very efficient at 90db sensitivity, i would recommend to look at speakers in this range of sensitivity only. However, the rear port on the concept 40's, needed a minimum of 40 cm from the rear wall in my room, to stop booming. However, if you cannot accommodate that distance, I would recommend to add a small QA sub to avoid the above issues.

However in the end, auditioning is the key. But if you like the B&W House sound, then you might end up liking the concept 40's. All the best.

Jorge

Apr 9, 2020
Visit site
The truth is that the more I look for a possible substitute for my old B&W speakers, the more I get messed up, I started thinking about the Dali Oberon 5 that due to their dimensions would be worth it without changing anything but their rear reflex output does not quite convince me even when in the instructions They only ask for 20 cm, which matches the ones I have, I have not been able to listen to them but the specialized magazines put them very well, then I have looked for closed type screens and the ATC appear which have very very good criticisms and no They present problems in principle by putting them near the back wall but prices skyrocket significantly and their smaller size compared to mine, make me harbor certain doubts, the Oberon are 800 euros but the ATC depending on the number 7, 11 or The 19 are 1295, 1895 or 3150 euros, I could look for them second hand but they are still expensive and if you do, who guarantees you that they are well, the truth is I do not know what to do, also ATC need supports I imagine they will not be cheap at all, the Linton I love how they sound but they have rear reflex and the Evo 4.3 that also fit me in my room has a sound that I don't quite like although its price is like the Linton more affordable, I am not waiting for your recommendations.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
The truth is that the more I look for a possible substitute for my old B&W speakers, the more I get messed up, I started thinking about the Dali Oberon 5 that due to their dimensions would be worth it without changing anything but their rear reflex output does not quite convince me even when in the instructions They only ask for 20 cm, which matches the ones I have, I have not been able to listen to them but the specialized magazines put them very well, then I have looked for closed type screens and the ATC appear which have very very good criticisms and no They present problems in principle by putting them near the back wall but prices skyrocket significantly and their smaller size compared to mine, make me harbor certain doubts, the Oberon are 800 euros but the ATC depending on the number 7, 11 or The 19 are 1295, 1895 or 3150 euros, I could look for them second hand but they are still expensive and if you do, who guarantees you that they are well, the truth is I do not know what to do, also ATC need supports I imagine they will not be cheap at all, the Linton I love how they sound but they have rear reflex and the Evo 4.3 that also fit me in my room has a sound that I don't quite like although its price is like the Linton more affordable, I am not waiting for your recommendations.

The sealed ATC's definitely won't pose room placement problems. But all the ATC models need a very grunty amp to really wake up. Secondly, they need a good volume level to really wake up and sound their best. So depending on your amp, you might also be looking at significant investment in amplification. But once done right, the ATC's sound lovely. 2 of my friends run ATC scm 40's and they sound great.

As an alternative you can look for used pmc db1i gold. These look small, but sound big and beautiful. The bass coming out of those small cabinets is unbelievable. They do have a rear transmision line port. But when I tried them at home, pushed up to the wall on my media cabinet. They still didn't boom at all. And they are efficient and easy to drive speakers too.

But both pmc and atc are very neutral speakers, and are not on the warmer side if that is what you're looking for.

Another option worth considering are the floor standers from neat, called neat iota alpha. I haven't heard them, but they get very good reviews. And all neat speakers are always designed to work close to the rear wall. And these neat iota alpha might just be the size you are looking for. So please check them out too. All the best :)

rainsoothe

I really don't think you can go wrong with Dali, they have a great enveloping sound and aren't that fussy in regards to placement. But of course it's a matter of personal preference. I still stand by my previous Oberon 5 / Focal Aria 906 recommendation.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I have the DENON PMA 920 amplifier that gives 115 watts at 8 ohms which I think will move the ATC speakers with ease

Humbly and deeply sorry sir :(

That denon just won't be enough. When I tried driving the small atc 17's or 19's i don't remember n my room, with a parasound halo integrated with 160w at 8 ohms. It just didn't cut it. By the way parasounds are huge and high current amps, Even that was not enough :(

We need absolute monsters to drive them at their best. One of my friends runs atc scm40's with nuprime sta-9's mono blocks. These are cheap, but very high power amps. Amd don't they sound splendid on the end of the atc scm40's?....every drum hit sounds like the realest I've ever heard.

Jorge

Apr 9, 2020
Visit site
In the ATC SMC 11 speaker specifications it talks about an amplifier between 75 and 300 W, my Denon PMA has 8 Ohms 105 w, which I hope will be enough to move them freely enough to take advantage of all its quality.

Jorge

Apr 9, 2020
Visit site
A new question about these ATC SMC 11 speakers, is it true that low volume loses a lot of quality? I like to listen to music at night and I live in a building with neighbors, I can't use the volume of a disco to make them sound good.

A new question about these ATC SMC 11 speakers, is it true that low volume loses a lot of quality? I like to listen to music at night and I live in a building with neighbors, I can't use the volume of a disco to make them sound good.
They will lose definition at very low volume levels, they are basically monitors made to be played at reasonably high volume.

matthewpiano

Certainly not, in that case I would be using headphones, anyone playing music after midnight is an unsociable individual that shouldn't be living in an apartment block..... :)

We live in a modern end terraced house, but we have set ourselves a cut-off time of 10:30pm for music and tend to start lowering the volume from around 9.30pm onwards (not that it's very high during the day). The neighbours don't need to hear our music.

I have an acoustic upright piano in our lounge but I'm also very careful about when I play that, and I have a decent digital upstairs for times when I've got lots of new music to learn.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts