Wharfedale Evo 4.2 - A Story Of Love & Heartbreak (Powered by Cambridge Audio CXA 81)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
KEF and Celestion are part of Gold Peak Acoustics.......Wharfedale are part of International Audio Group...a completely different company.
Thank you, i wasn´t sure of that. i had read in a newspaper of the changes and a friend also told me. I didn´t doubt of he telling me that it was the same group of kef and celestion wich i also didn´t remenber the name of the group, regards

Last edited:

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
My combination is a Cambridge Audio CXA80 (the previous model of the OP's amplifier) with a Dali Oberon 3.

I can attest that the amplifier tends to sound boring, with really fast music being kind of tasteless.

gasolin

gasolin

one can not own a neutral sounding speaker that is at the same time energetic and punchy

Dynaudio Evidence Master

dynfig3.jpg

How about Dynaudio emit 20 or Evoke 10 ?

AJM1981

Dynaudio Evidence Master

dynfig3.jpg

How about Dynaudio emit 20 or Evoke 10 ?

Meant it more in the way like..

Neutral is a signature
Energetic and punchy is a signature

If a speaker is punchy, it is not neutral
and vice versa.

If I would not have monitors, I would like a neutral speaker for producing, mixing and mastering. But I am into slight coloration when it comes to playback so I would not mind auditioning those loudspeakers.

On the other hand, speakers can transpose in signature with amps and settings, so things are not carved into stone.

My Denton 85th..'s (second set) are being described as natural; probably due a little coloration in the female vocal freq range They have good bass but when I crank up its bass with a setting on my amp for a movie I often wonder why I ever got a sub for our bedroom (that one doesn't dig as deep as the one in my living) They sound unbelievably big and deliver this high quality cinematic bass experience in a breeze. My previous diamond 11.2 did ok, but not this well and to me that definitely justifies a price difference. Also received good praise for that in reviews. Loads of potential and detail in the lows without it sounding muddy. But for music I don't really like to utilize that. The versatility of these speakers with the right amp is huge.

Last edited:

Gray

If a speaker is punchy, it is not neutral
and vice versa.
My speakers are most certainly both punchy and neutral - and I wouldn't want to be without both qualities.

'Neutral' is most commonly (if not exclusively) used to describe tonal balance.
No speaker can be truly neutral of course, but ideally it neither adds, nor takes anything away - from any aspect of the sound.

Music is punchy. If a speaker "doesn't sound punchy" then it is unquestionably not neutral - it is taking something away from the music.

I know it's a controversial statement (especially to those that favour a warm, 'safe', 'forgiving' or a non-punchy sound but .....to me, anything less than neutral is wrong.....and that means the sound must contain as much punchiness as the music itself does.

I suppose some might say a speaker can sound too 'punchy'.....for their taste maybe, but it can't add any punchiness that isn't in the music....can it?

AJM1981

My speakers are most certainly both punchy and neutral - and I wouldn't want to be without both qualities.

'Neutral' is most commonly (if not exclusively) used to describe tonal balance.
No speaker can be truly neutral of course, but ideally it neither adds, nor takes anything away - from any aspect of the sound.

Monitors should be as close to neutral as possible in order to mix well on them.

Music is punchy. If a speaker "doesn't sound punchy" then it is unquestionably not neutral - it is taking something away from the music.

I know it's a controversial statement (especially to those that favour a warm, 'safe', 'forgiving' or a non-punchy sound but .....to me, anything less than neutral is wrong.....and that means the sound must contain as much punchiness as the music itself does.

I suppose some might say a speaker can sound too 'punchy'.....for their taste maybe, but it can't add any punchiness that isn't in the music....can it?

Sure, pop, rock, disco, dance (etc) music is punchy and a track can be produced and experienced as really punchy on a neutral monitor after producing. A punchy speaker just emphasises that same punchiness by a factor. Loudspeakers made for clubs or concerts are often punchier than the average.

That's why for 'reference' (not especially for playback in my opinion) neutral without any coloration is better. Perhaps a bit comparible to the white point in photography. The idea being is that when you have a neutral image someones screen can be a little warmer in color,it stilll looks good. When you want a warmer picture on a neutral setup screen, you adjust the picture to be warmer, let's say "+2", one with a warmer screen will have a virtual +4 . But when one would master on a warmer screen one would say "it is already ok" from the initial photo, resulting in an unwanted cold output on a neutral calibrated screen. (In reality this also comes a bit closer to the curvature settings, but just to describe the point...)

Signatures of loudspeakers can be plotted out in radar charts. So it can be well that it is slightly more punchy but still in the middle when it comes to the other frequencies and still experienced as neutral.

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
After getting the Onkyo 6130 network streamer on the used market the Cambridge Audio CXA80 can finally handle fast/quick tempo music. That happens when I use the analogue outputs, and keep the digital filter setting to "SHARP".

Apparently the amp needs to be matched with a source with a strong emphasis on dynamics.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts