Wharfedale Diamond 220 Vs. Q Acoustic 3020

robdmarsh

Hi Federico

I'm facing the same dilemma - finding a really good but inexpensive modern bookshelf which meets my needs. I should say straight off that I'm strictly a music audio user, I'm not into the home theatre thing.

Anyhow, I have the Wharfedale diamond 220s and while they have got better over the two weeks I've run them in, I must say I'm a bit disappointed. My other speakers are 20 year-old Celestion 3s, with a damaged tweeter, and though they don't have the weight and dynamic range of the 220s I still prefer them. They draw you into the sound more, seem more musical and subtle and have a sweet midrange I'm finding hard to track down in a moder £200 speaker. That's not to say they can't kick when the music gets busier - they're also brilliantly rhythmical. I listen to loads of genres of music, rock, jazz, acoustic (on a Marantz m-cr603 which I love) and right now I'm listening to Brahms requiem and just tried both. The Celestions win easily to my ears - the Wharfedales just try too hard.

So, anyway, that's my view of the 220s. I've heard the Q 3020s and I think they do the same modern trick of trying to sound dynamic. I'm going to get a used pair of B&W 601 s2 or s3, hoping that I'll find the same engaging sound in an older speaker as my Celestions but with more power.

I did hear Dali zensor 3 the other day and thought they sounded pretty good, but.... £300! I think used may be the way to go. It would be interesting to hear what others have to say about new vs old budget speakers. I think new designs favour punch over other attributes.

Rob

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Both connected to Yamaha RX-V473 in Pure Direct mode:

- Q Acoustics 3020 sound cleaner and more natural
- QA3020 tend to generate sibilance (probably because of the bright Yamaha receiver)
- WD220 are laid back, very easy to listen and show no sibilance or harshness whatsoever
- QA3020 sound a bit bright (on Yamaha) and WD220 are dark
- WD220 have more bass although both lack proper bass
- WD220 cabinet had a tiny peeling issue while QA3020 cabinet was good

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I have also tried the QA 3020s. Obviously being so small they are bass shy and a wee bit 'thuddy' for my liking. They are a bit 'brighter' than the 2020is and Concept 20s and don't come close to the imaging ability of either - need to get the positioning / toeing in just right if it matters to you. They have the same kind of openess and 3D-like positioning within the soundstage as both QA 2020is and QA Concept 20s which is appealing but after 48 hours of listening I decided that I didn't like them for a primarily music setup. My main speakers for music are QA Concept 20s and in my opinion the 3020s aren't a patch on them but that said, they would - I think - be ideal used primarily for home cinema.

Michael Earl

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Ive had my 220's for about 2 weeks now and Im in love with them. I use them mostly for music (90%) the rest is TV and movies etc. Im not filling a large room with them but I find them a stunning speakerr for the price.

I must also admit that good cable is also a contributing factor (as im sure were all aware)

amitksvs

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi there, what did you finally choose? Wharf 220 or QA 3020? I am in the same dilemma; wish to choose a pair of Front speakers for a Denon AVR X1200W; which one would you suggest of the two? with the little I have read, Wharfedale said to be relatively darker would go well with tad brighter Denon amps (relative to Marantz and likes). Please help me decide.

P.S.: I am going to add a Wharfedale Subwoofer too; so lower bass should be addressed by that; so looking for good midrange performance with the Fronts.

Thanks.

Feb 15, 2016
Visit site
amitksvs said:
Hi there, what did you finally choose? Wharf 220 or QA 3020? I am in the same dilemma; wish to choose a pair of Front speakers for a Denon AVR X1200W; which one would you suggest of the two? with the little I have read, Wharfedale said to be relatively darker would go well with tad brighter Denon amps (relative to Marantz and likes). Please help me decide.

P.S.: I am going to add a Wharfedale Subwoofer too; so lower bass should be addressed by that; so looking for good midrange performance with the Fronts.

Thanks.

Do not replay my mistake... I have QA2020i, yes it's good speakers for its size, but too boring for music, they do not fill room with proper low end, my room is 16 square meters... Now I'm looking into B&W 685 S2 for better low end and sound stage...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts