Wharfedale Diamond 220 or Denton 80th Anniversary Speakers

Will62

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
Debating as to which pair to buy. Living in the USA but can't seem to find any reviews from people that have owned or tried both pairs of speakers.

Quick background. I have a house with plaster walls and hardwood floors. The room where the speakers will be located has 9 foot high ceilings and is 14 feet by 12 feet. Roughly 3 meter ceiling and 4.5 meters by 4 meter room dimensions. Have a pair of Jamo C 601 speakers that are ideal for this environment since they are neutral and lean a bit warm in the lower midrange region. But one glaring problem. They need to be placed two feet from the back wall (over half a meter) to sound right and project the right sound stage. I don't have the luxury of that kind of room in this house since it is pretty small. Even shaving a foot (one third of a meter) off the required space from the back wall that the speakers need will be a big help and allow me to properly place furniture and my CD case.

I've read the Dentons are warm and while they have a rear firing port, don't need a lot of space from the back wall to sound right. And the new 220 has the downward firing port and a rep with Wharfedale said they need only be a few inches from the back wall to sound great. I prefer a neutral to warm sound. Hate bright high end and boomy bass. Prefer subdued bass and a smooth high end and overall polite sounding speaker. Slightly forward midrange is acceptable.

I am using a Dayton DTA 120 T class amp. Very low THD and runs 40 wpc into 8 ohms. 50 wpc into 6 ohms. 60 wpc into 4 ohms. Very clean amp which easily drives the Jamo's which are 6 ohm and a sensitivity of 86 db. Will be using a Yamaha CD S300 CD player. Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables, Pangea 14SE power cables and Audio Art IC3 interconnects.

Can anyone with experience with both of these speakers offer some feedback as to which speakers would work best in that environment?

bebelacus

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Heard the 220s but never the Dentons. I also listened to Dali Zensor 3 in a similar room as yours. Dali Zensor 3 sounded really sweet, powerful, very musical thru a Marantz PM7005 and an old no name cd player connected via optical to PM7005's dac. Zensor 3 are by far one of the most enjoyable and most fun to listen to. Give them a try.

Will62

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
bebelacus said:
Heard the 220s but never the Dentons. I also listened to Dali Zensor 3 in a similar room as yours. Dali Zensor 3 sounded really sweet, powerful, very musical thru a Marantz PM7005 and an old no name cd player connected via optical to PM7005's dac. Zensor 3 are by far one of the most enjoyable and most fun to listen to. Give them a try.

Seriously considered these as well as the Zensor 1's which Stereophile ranks as far superior to its price. The What HiFi review says they are a little unrefined which may not be a good attribute in a room with plaster walls and hardwood flooring.

Can these be placed closer than 2 feet to the back wall and sound fine?

After I have my taxes done in early April I will know if I can afford something more expensive than the Diamond 220's.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I somehow doubt anyone here has compared the two but who knows ...

As for the Dali Z3, never heard them (had a look at them at R/S) but they are big n'ugly (imho) so the Denton would be my choice anytime.

However, as others throw in suggestions and in the interest of confusing you further, may I suggest Usher's S520. Gorgeous and sound nice.

Will62

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
drummerman said:
I somehow doubt anyone here has compared the two but who knows ...

As for the Dali Z3, never heard them (had a look at them at R/S) but they are big n'ugly (imho) so the Denton would be my choice anytime.

However, as others throw in suggestions and in the interest of confusing you further, may I suggest Usher's S520. Gorgeous and sound nice.

For some reason Dali speakers are priced at roughly twice the cost in the USA when compared to England. Someone else on another forum also recommended the Usher speakers. That has possibilities. Little question the Denton will sound good in that room based upon the numerous reviews I've read. Not even remotely close to having any bright character in its high end and the bass will not be over powering or boomy. They are on sale in the USA at half price which makes them a very attractive speaker at that price. Higher than the Diamond 220's but if the extra cost will yield a far better speaker then I may be able to swing it.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Wharfedale are not stupid.

It is unlikely the 220 will be as 'good' as the Denton, being that model is higher up the range.

The two speakers are however aimed at a different market.

The 220 is probably made for the new hifi user with budget equipment in mind ie. it is probably more sensitive and easier to drive (I haven't actually looked up the spec so may be wrong).

The Denton is presumably more for the mid market customer requiring a small but more refined speaker. It will likely have better drivers, a better cabinet and better Xover components (again that's an assumption but Wharfedale have been in the game for a long time).

I once read an interesting article, an interview with Peter J. Comeau, Director of Acoustic Design for Wharfedale and others about the differences between brands and levels of products made by IAG and there are obviously clear differences. Quad is made for customers which listen more to Acoustic, Jazz and Blues (on mid/higher priced systems) rather than Pop/Rock which is more the job of Diamonds and Mission Speakers (althouh I use Mission too, predominantly for classical and jazz).

As for the Ushers, they have a slight reported treble lift but I personally haven't noticed it much. However, my high frequency hearing is plateaing out at around 13khz :).

They are not headbanger speakers but go loud enough for me in a 5 x 5m room on cyrus equipment.

Good luck

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I have both the Zensor 1s and the Diamond 220s. The Z1s are lovely, coherent and fun, but the 220s are way more detailed in the midrange, and, properly sited, more informative in the bass. I like both but would have to choose the 220s of the two.

I think the Dentons are sweeter but no more interesting than the Diamonds.

The only problem with the 220s is stands, as they come with pre-installed rubber feet and need a top plate the same size as the speaker. I first tried bluetac on a smaller top but not so good, and I don't put spkrs on spikes. Then I found a pair of Linn Majik 109 stands which are exactly the right size. Superb sound.

Will62

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
jerry klinger said:
I have both the Zensor 1s and the Diamond 220s. The Z1s are lovely, coherent and fun, but the 220s are way more detailed in the midrange, and, properly sited, more informative in the bass. I like both but would have to choose the 220s of the two.

I think the Dentons are sweeter but no more interesting than the Diamonds.

The only problem with the 220s is stands, as they come with pre-installed rubber feet and need a top plate the same size as the speaker. I first tried bluetac on a smaller top but not so good, and I don't put spkrs on spikes. Then I found a pair of Linn Majik 109 stands which are exactly the right size. Superb sound.

Jerry. Excellent info. Thanks.

I have a pair of heavy duty 26 inch steel stands (tripod) that originally retailed for $300 USD. Got them for next to nothing. My guess is they will be adequate for either the Denton's or 220's.

The Zensor line appears to be discontinued. It is still possible to find the 1 relatively easy but the 3 is becoming scarce. Based upon what you've said about both speakers I think the 220 is going to be a slightly better choice. A year ago I would have bought the Zensors if I had the money but it now seems apparent the newest speaker lines that are being released will equal or better them at better prices. The 220 is a perfect example of that.

Is the 220 really forward sounding or somewhat laid back? The Denton's seem to be somewhat laid back like the Jamo's and that is another trait I prefer in a pair of speakers.

Will62

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
Drummerman. Excellent insight into the company's various lines. Not at all familiar with them. While I have known for a couple of years that the Diamond line is top notch for an entry level speaker I have had absolutely no chance to demo them or any other speaker by them. Currently I live two hours from the nearest authorized dealer. I listen to older Rock and Pop as well as older and newer Jazz and some Blues. Classical on occasion. I can still hear up to 22 khz on the high end but oddly enough, nothing around 125 hz.

I have found an online dealer in the USA that offers a 60 day money back guarantee. Will probably purchase through them once I determine which speaker to buy. Based upon the reviews I've read the Diamond line will most closely match the Jamo Concert series which is what the C 601 is a part of. If the Denton is a notch above then I can't go wrong with either speaker.

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
It's more forward than the Dalis but more to the point more revealing of the rest of the system. I have mine on the Linn stands with a NAD 326 amp, 546 cd player and Rega 3, which is the lowest I would recommend.

To show the diff between the speakers, in my main Naim setup I tried out the Dalis then removed them after a couple of tracks. When I plugged in the 220s, I listened to two albums and heard stuff I'd not heard before...:)

Will62

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
jerry klinger said:
It's more forward than the Dalis but more to the point more revealing of the rest of the system. I have mine on the Linn stands with a NAD 326 amp, 546 cd player and Rega 3, which is the lowest I would recommend.

To show the diff between the speakers, in my main Naim setup I tried out the Dalis then removed them after a couple of tracks. When I plugged in the 220s, I listened to two albums and heard stuff I'd not heard before...:)

Forward sounding without being harsh is fine. The C 601 while somewhat laid back is not as laid back as the Jamo C 603 I demoed first. Sounds like the detail on the 220's is far better than most speakers in its price class.

My cables should help reduce any potential harsh character a song may have. Many of my old 60's rock albums have some very harsh high ends (Deep Purple albums prior to "In Rock" is a good example) that have been tamed to a good degree by the speakers and the cables. The Dentons will be more refined from what I've read and may be the speaker that most closely matches the sound I want. But I think the 220's will also work in light of what I now know.

Can you elaborate a bit more on this statement? Not sure I understand what you mean by "lowest you would recommend".

"Rega 3, which is the lowest I would recommend."

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I.e. I wouldn't use a lesser source than a Rega 3! But as you say, as long as evertything's set up nicely, e.g. cartridge, cables, stands, all will be well.

Will62

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
jerry klinger said:
I.e. I wouldn't use a lesser source than a Rega 3! But as you say, as long as evertything's set up nicely, e.g. cartridge, cables, stands, all will be well.

Point noted. Thanks.

sadie23r3594126

May 9, 2016
Visit site
I have listened to the denton, zensor 3, and 220 all in one sitting. I played 4 songs on each speaker. One classical, one rock, one hip hop, and one electronic. Also i was using all the same hook ups and hardware.

Zensor 3 sounded the best, but I could at the same time see myself getting tired of them as they are more bright then the denton and 220s. The Zensor has a more crisp sound and was a better all around performer.

Denton sounded almost the same as the Zensor except that it was warmer, had deeper bass, and a smoother performance on some songs. The Denton also didn't sound as amazing with every track where as the Zensor performed every song wonderfully with precision.

The 220s do sound good, but they aren't really comparable to the zensor or the denton. The 220 is a lot cheaper though and it sounds good for its cost.

sadie23r3594126 said:
I have listened to the denton, zensor 3, and 220 all in one sitting. I played 4 songs on each speaker. One classical, one rock, one hip hop, and one electronic. Also i was using all the same hook ups and hardware.

Zensor 3 sounded the best, but I could at the same time see myself getting tired of them as they are more bright then the denton and 220s. The Zensor has a more crisp sound and was a better all around performer.

Denton sounded almost the same as the Zensor except that it was warmer, had deeper bass, and a smoother performance on some songs. The Denton also didn't sound as amazing with every track where as the Zensor performed every song wonderfully with precision.

The 220s do sound good, but they aren't really comparable to the zensor or the denton. The 220 is a lot cheaper though and it sounds good for its cost.

It'll also boil down to what your amplification is like.

jprecinos

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
My buddy and I just had a chance to test both 220's and Dentons at a local audio shop in Seattle. We spent around 30 mins with each speaker set, playing both LP's and digital files using a Marantz receiver. We both agreed the Dentons sound better. The 220's have a sweet upper frequency response, very dynamic, very true and smooth as silk. They are accurate but not as clinical as some Monitor Audios can be. The Dentons however deliver a much richer sound; they have a fuller midrange that fills the room with warm sound. They were a lot more pleasant to listen to and a lot more detailed. It almost seemed as we were missing half of the song compared to the 220;s ... I dont know if this is because of the cabinet size or shape , port location or just overall better components but the Dentons could reach dynamics and detail that the 220 couldn't deliver. For the money it is really hard to beat the 220's but if you are willing to pay $150+ more dollars you might want to open up your options and look beyond the 220's.....If you are dying to buy something right now I would look into a cheaper speaker like the Boston Acoustic A25/A26 while you save for something that you will be pleased with for a long time.

jprecinos

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
My buddy and I just had a chance to test both 220's and Dentons at a local audio shop in Seattle. We spent around 30 mins with each speaker set, playing both LP's and digital files using a Marantz receiver. We both agreed the Dentons sound better. The 220's have a sweet upper frequency response, very dynamic, very true and smooth as silk. They are accurate but not as clinical as some Monitor Audios can be. The Dentons however deliver a much richer sound; they have a fuller midrange that fills the room with warm sound. They were a lot more pleasant to listen to and a lot more detailed. It almost seemed as we were missing half of the song compared to the 220;s ... I dont know if this is because of the cabinet size or shape , port location or just overall better components but the Dentons could reach dynamics and detail that the 220 couldn't deliver. For the money it is really hard to beat the 220's but if you are willing to pay $150+ more dollars you might want to open up your options and look beyond the 220's.....If you are dying to buy something right now I would look into a cheaper speaker like the Boston Acoustic A25/A26 while you save for something that you will be pleased with for a long time.

TRENDING THREADS