Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 vs 220 (?)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

AJM1981

the evo 4.1 are so much better than 12.2 in your opinion?

I will do an estimated guess when I compare the 12.0 to the Evo 4.2. I know it is an unfair comparison in size but the signatures are alike. The diamonds are clear and detailed but I like the added depth in weight of accoustic instruments and voices on the Evo 4.2. The woofer and cabinet combined with the well adjusted Amt tweeter just give the idea of a drummer hitting a cymbal rather than the sound the cymbal itself produces. Both are fine to me but it adds a slightly higher sense of realism. And like the evo 4.2 the 4.1 was really well received in many reviews as a speaker that provided high end quality for a price way beyond what they would ask for a speaker like this decades ago.

djsolidsnake86

May 12, 2022
Visit site
I will do an estimated guess when I compare the 12.0 to the Evo 4.2. I know it is an unfair comparison in size but the signatures are alike. The diamonds are clear and detailed but I like the added depth in weight of accoustic instruments and voices on the Evo 4.2. The woofer and cabinet combined with the well adjusted Amt tweeter just give the idea of a drummer hitting a cymbal rather than the sound the cymbal itself produces. Both are fine to me but it is a slightly higher sense of realism. And like the evo 4.2 the 4.1 was really well received in many reviews.
i see, however 12.0 are not 12.2 that are in absolute better than 12

AJM1981

i see, however 12.0 are not 12.2 that are in absolute better than 12

I can't recall a speaker that apart from bass extension and body (due cabinet size) changes in sound signature itself when going a size or two sizes up within its own current range. The diamond 12s are really great for their price and clear and detailed, bit on the warm side.

But Wharfedale has bordered the difference between their budget speakers (Diamond range) , mid section (Evo range) and Flagship (Elysian range) quite well. Like any brand I guess.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS