Wharfedale Diamond 10.1

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I can buy a pair diamond 10.1 speakers for very little money.

How do these keep up with recent budget speakers like Monitor Audio BX2, Dali Zensor 1..........?

Are they still worth the money ?

Thanks.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Cypher said:
I can buy a pair diamond 10.1 speakers for very little money.

How do these keep up with recent budget speakers like Monitor Audio BX2, Dali Zensor 1..........?

Are they still worth the money ?

Thanks.

I have a pair in the living room, and they sound great and have a huge value for money.

unison

Oct 3, 2008
Visit site
are we talking less than 120? the others are obviously rated as better, but you always have that with hifi. as people are always saying, hear them with your electronics that you intend to use with the speakers

A

Anonymous

IMO they're as good as the Zensor 1's but not as good as the BX2's

However if you can get them cheap; go for it! They are very good speakers indeed

A

Anonymous

I have them...

I borrowed some BX2s this summer and checked them out. Returned them the day after and kept my Wharfedales.

BX2 tweeter was harsh on the ears! Wharfedales had a better sound.

...and Im seriously thinking of keeping (10.1) and selling my new Dynaudio 2/6s.

The reason is fatigue from my dyns. When I listen to my wharfedales its all about the music, not thinking of the sound of the speakers. The tweeter is very unforgiving and nice to the ears. Instruments also have very nice attack!

Warm, fluid attack you get! Buy and try! :)

A

Anonymous

I want to add that I think Wharfedales strength over other speakers is its midrange!

BX2 was more top & bottom.. weak midrange.

EDIT: In the post above I meant forgiving, not "unforgiving".

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I'm going to buy them. I can get these for 90 UK pounds. They're not new but in very very good condition.

Thanks everyone :)

A

Anonymous

With the right electronics all speakers will sound great

It's all about getting the amp and source right as well as the cabling

M/A sounds harsh to some people where to others M/A sounds very good indeed; it's horses for courses... :doh:

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
But it's really not a problem when most people in this thread prefer wharfedale to monitor audio.

Many people think the Monitor audio tweeter is harsh sounding. Not because they want to bash Monitor Audio but because they think the tweeter is harsh sounding :doh:

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Cypher said:
But it's really not a problem when most people in this thread prefer wharfedale to monitor audio.

Many people think the Monitor audio tweeter is harsh sounding. Not because they want to bash Monitor Audio but because they think the tweeter is harsh sounding :doh:

MA uses gold plated metal dome tweeters, so yes, they sound a little harsh when the speaker isn't fully run in.

Anyway, the Diamond 10.1 is a great speaker. The midrange is really sweet, the high frequencies are nicely detailed but can become a little bright when playing really bad recordings and bass extention is nice too. Just keep them more than 30cm away from a rear wall.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
the BX2 and the 10.1 are really quite different speakers, hard to make a comparison like for like. one has two rear ports the other front ported, different tweeter material, different driver material, different driver size, different shape, different cabinet volume, the BX is a bit bigger, different sensitivity, different frequency response, different nominal impedance, different crossover frequency.

I do like both speakers........and for what it's worth I don't find any harshness in the C Cam gold dome tweeter.

Cypher said:

Metal domed tweeters are only harsh if A) You have the wrong partnering equipement B) If the room acoustics are brittle or C) Combination of the two.

Strike the right balance and they'll sing as good as any speaker and some.

A

Anonymous

I bought the Monitor Audio BX2's at the end of December to partner my Marantz PM6003/CD6003 and I don't find them harsh sounding. A bit more detailed than my old Diamond 9.1's yes, but not harsh. When you consider that they are not fully run in yet it makes you think what's coming. To be honest I have never heard the Diamond 10.1. But the older 9.1 I found to be missing some of the top end. Mid and bass was ok but not great treble. So far I like the sound I hear with my other bits of hi fi. I wonder if those who found this speaker too harsh were using a bright amplifier. The speaker cables I am using is Chord Carnival Silverscreen.

A

Anonymous

Easily worth the money and a lot more, mine continue to amaze me with their balance detail and bass power. They sound at home in my more expensive system or the classic system they're in now, these are seriously gifted little boxes. Unlike the MA the wood veneer is also real I don't know how Wharfedale do it.

A

Anonymous

So when can we hear your opinion on the Wharfedales, Cypher? :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts