Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 versus Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 versus Silver RX1 for instrumental classical

A

Anonymous

I am in the process of purchasing some MA RX2's (for different type of music) but during my audition's i did use some more to your style and in my personal opinion the RX1's were so much better than the BX2's, i was told both were run in and both were testing with exact same conditions (ie removed the speakers from the stand and put the next one on for testing, same tracks etc). My other half who has no real interest in HiFi was with me and she simple told the guy i like the RX1's better and for me (and the dealer) not to bother even continuing to play the BX2's. (And she knew the price difference !)

However i rather liked the Wharfedale 10.1/10.2's also.

Dynaudio would be also worth a look i think.

Evan

matthewpiano

Wharfedales work very well with classical music and the 10.1s are an excellent speaker. However, I feel the BX2 are a good step up. A lot really depends on your amplification. If you have bright, lightweight sounding amplification, then the BX2s might not be a great choice as they aren't the bassiest speakers in their price range, but with a reasonably neutral or slightly warm sounding amp, they have a level of clarity and soundstaging precision that is very impressive. Their midrange is superb and this really helps to bring instruments and voices alive. At the budget end I'd be trying them with a Marantz PM6003 (a bargain at current prices) or a NAD C326BEE.

The RX1s are quite a different breed. They are very involving speakers and produce a weightier, warmer sound than the BX2 albeit with slightly less clarity, particularly in the mid-range. It seems that, following criticisms of a slightly muffled mid-range on the BR2, MA went all-out to improve this aspect of the BX2's performance and they really are exceptional in this regard.

The other speaker that is still worth trying is the B&W 685. It's the only B&W speaker I really like - the smaller 686s suffer from a congested and slightly boomy sound, and the more expensive CM1s are pretty awful - but the 685s can sound absolutely wonderful particularly paired with NAD amplification.

In the final analysis, it really depends on what electronics you are using and also on your room. The same speakers can sound quite different depending on these variables.

A

Anonymous

I am thinking of a Cambridge 650A - 650C combo.

My father has a Diamond 9.1 and we love its midrange.

My brief audition of the 10.1 told me it that it had a wonderful emotive midrange, albeit with slightly sloppy, ill-timed bass.

The Silver RX1 has been winning many positive reviews, but I wonder if it has the same Wharfedalian midrange magic.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
ha ha! :D quite incidentally 1.5 years back, when I was buying my first hi-fi, I was auditioning Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s, Monitor Audio RX1s and Monitor Audios BS2s (predecessors of BX2s). electronics were TEAC Reference 600 system. to cut to the chase. i chose Wharfedales, because they were the smoothest of them all. RX1s weren't bad either but for their price I would expect them to be better and they sounded harsher then Diamonds. IMO, they suit better to energetic, distorted by excess of amplification rock music, not delicate life music performances. I don't even want to mention BS2s... they sound horrible with bass all over the place. I don't know anything about BX2s. I don't even want to touch them bearing in mind my experiences with BS2s, but if they're not a MILE improvement over BS2s I'd suggest you stay out of them.

then, half a year later I went again into the store and auditioned Dynaudio Excite 12s (the electronics were TEAC Reference 500, little brother of Reference 600). I was really happy with Diamonds but Dynaudios were distinctively better. I ended up buying Focus 110s. if you're on a budget try Dynaudio DM 2/7.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Cypher said:
Don't rule out Dali either. The Zensor and Lektor series are both excellent for the money.

speaking about Dalis. I had a chance to audition Dali Mentor 1s along with Dynaudio Excite 12s. to my ears Dalis were simply fatiguing in highs and had blurred soundstage image. everything seemed to be a mush of sound in comparison. also they had quite generous bass output for so small a speaker but they solely relied on big rear firing port so the bass was rather uncontrolled and, again, quite farty.

A

Anonymous

I listen to mainly Classical music, i own Spendor SA 1 and the Wharfedale 10.1. Given the price difference between the two speakers the Wharfedales stand up quiet well when compared A-B. The 10.1's have deeper bass but the SA 1's are superior in all other area's, better detail, dynamics, imaging, soundstaging but you have you really have to listen at length to be able to hear these differences. Another plus is the 10.1's were voiced by Peter Comeau (president of international audio group) who knows a thing or to about speakers. As you say, the midrange is just a little bit special.

A

Anonymous

Spectre said:
I listen to mainly Classical music, i own Spendor SA 1 and the Wharfedale 10.1. Given the price difference between the two speakers the Wharfedales stand up quiet well when compared A-B. The 10.1's have deeper bass but the SA 1's are superior in all other area's, better detail, dynamics, imaging, soundstaging but you have you really have to listen at length to be able to hear these differences. Another plus is the 10.1's were voiced by Peter Comeau (president of international audio group) who knows a thing or to about speakers. As you say, the midrange is just a little bit special.

Very much so, that midrange is just amazing. They make instruments sound life-size and express their fundamentals and harmonics properly.

The only concern that I have about the 10.1 is bass tightness. Do you have to place the rear ports far away from the rear wall so that the bass does not bloom in excess?

I am also wondering how the Bronze BX2s perform, especially in the midrange and bass when compared with the 10.1. Do they carry forward all the strengths of the 10.1 and add their own merits?

Or they trade strengths and weaknesses with the 10.1?

A

Anonymous

bhanja_trinanjan said:
Spectre said:

Very much so, that midrange is just amazing. They make instruments sound life-size and express their fundamentals and harmonics properly.

The only concern that I have about the 10.1 is bass tightness. Do you have to place the rear ports far away from the rear wall so that the bass does not bloom in excess?

I am also wondering how the Bronze BX2s perform, especially in the midrange and bass when compared with the 10.1. Do they carry forward all the strengths of the 10.1 and add their own merits?

Bass is tight enough, tuneful not at all one note, they do go deeper than my Spendors (sealed box) but its not by a huge amount. I'd say a minimum of 15-20cm from a wall would be ideal for the ports to breath. If you have to have them closer you could always get some acoustic absorption material (or foam bungs) and place it behind the ports to damp out resonance which is not a bad idea regardless. Not sure about comparison with the Bronze BX2, someone else perhaps?

One final thought, the Wharfedale's do have a real wood veneer rather than vinyl made to look like wood.

matthewpiano

bhanja_trinanjan said:
Spectre said:

To a certain extent they trade strengths and weaknesses. The MAs are tighter sounding than the Wharfedales, particularly in the bass. The mid-range isn't quite as fluid as the 10.1s but a huge improvement on the old BR2s, and the treble is more open and airy without crossing the line into being hard or bright. The MAs are more precise but don't flatter with warmth as much as the Wharfedales do. Overall I personally think the MAs are the better speaker.

The only way is to audition both and see which you prefer. Both superb speakers. If you can get to a Superfi they still have some Diamond 9.1s and at £99 these are well worth an audition. Slightly less bassy than the 10.1s but with beautifully integrated sound and that familiar midrange performance.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts