Wharfedale Denton

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just got these for £10 from a charity shop. They are Wharfedale Dentons. On the back it says "Made in England by Rank Wharfedale Ltd, Idle, Bedford, Yorks". They are in good nick and work properly.

However, I have not been able to find out much about this particular model. A Google search brings up info about "Wharfedale Denton 2" or "2XP" but not these exact ones. Ditto Ebay. I don't think they are Denton 3 either. Are they an earlier version of the Denton? No idea what the specs are. I'd be grateful for any info!

mh5bep.jpg

119sbb6.jpg

A friend of mine used to own a pair nnnnn years ago...
emotion-5.gif
. They are a terrific little speaker that are 25 watts per channel into 8 ohms. It was after hearing these I bought my first Wharfedale speaker - The 'Linton'.

http://www.gramophone.net/Issue/Page/November%201976/162/751342

It should say on the back of the speaker, otherwise there wasn't much difference in spec between MKI version and other upgrades.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
It is the original Denton (Late 1960s to early 1970s I think. No later than 1975 when the XP versions of Linton/Denton were introduced)

Rank owned Wharfedale from 1958 until the early 1990s and marketed whole systems comprising Leak amps (Rank owned Leak) and later on in the 1970s with Rotel amps. (Rank never owned Rotel but distributed their amps - with Wharfedale speakers - especially in the Comet retail chain. In the early days Rotels were 'stickered' as Rank.)

B&W are now partners with Rotel - and distribute Rotel - but they don't own them. (Rotel is still a privately owned family company in Japan who have been going in private ownership since 1961).

Wharfedale were sold to the Verity Group PLC and then IAG (along with Quad).

StrongTea:

Just got these for £10 from a charity shop. They are Wharfedale Dentons. On the back it says "Made in England by Rank Wharfedale Ltd, Idle, Bedford, Yorks". They are in good nick and work properly.

However, I have not been able to find out much about this particular model. A Google search brings up info about "Wharfedale Denton 2" or "2XP" but not these exact ones. Ditto Ebay. I don't think they are Denton 3 either. Are they an earlier version of the Denton? No idea what the specs are. I'd be grateful for any info!

mh5bep.jpg

119sbb6.jpg

What amp are you planning to pair with them?

A

Anonymous

TBH I only bought so that I could spruce them up a bit (the wood was dirty and had cup marks etc) and then perhaps sell them on to a collector for a small profit. I temporarily hooked them up to my mini hifi to check that they worked but not using them at the moment (I only get them yesterday). I won't be connecting them to my main hi-fi system as I am happy with what I currently use. I wanted to check the specs before I started using them with anything (and eventually sell them).

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:

A friend of mine used to own a pair nnnnn years ago...
emotion-5.gif
. They are a terrific little speaker that are 25 watts per channel into 8 ohms. It was after hearing these I bought my first Wharfedale speaker - The 'Linton'.

Oh PP you`ve made me feel all nostalgic. My first `proper` speaker set was a pair of `Lintons`. I sadly gave them to a guy in exchange for doing some bodywork on my car. Regrets, I`ve had a few...

Strong Tea, I think that for a tenner they were well worth picking up even if only for collectable purposes. Nice one!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
StrongTea:TBH I only bought so that I could spruce them up a bit (the wood was dirty and had cup marks etc) and then perhaps sell them on to a collector for a small profit.

You won't get much for them. Just enjoy them for what they are.

Do them up to match your decor (if you like their sound and decide to keep them) not because a collector might buy them for a lot of money (they won't).

Wharfedale in those days made hundreds of thousands of pairs of speakers a year. They are not rare. There are 11 pairs of Dentons on Ebay UK right now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts