Wharfedale Denton 80th anniversary suitable?

robdmarsh

Hi everyone

I've been asking about speakers to partner my Maranta m-cr 603 but have not been getting much response. I'm after a warm but detailed sound. I'm not into big bass but neither do I want no weight to the sound. I've tried Wharfedale diamond 220 and didn't like them. Now I'm thinking about Wharfedale Denton 80th anniv hearing that they might have a sound I would like.

However, are they a difficult speaker to partner with being less sensitive? Could they work with the Marantz?

Thanks

Rob

robdmarsh said:
Hi everyone

I've been asking about speakers to partner my Maranta m-cr 603 but have not been getting much response. I'm after a warm but detailed sound. I'm not into big bass but neither do I want no weight to the sound. I've tried Wharfedale diamond 220 and didn't like them. Now I'm thinking about Wharfedale Denton 80th anniv hearing that they might have a sound I would like.

However, are they a difficult speaker to partner with being less sensitive? Could they work with the Marantz?

Thanks

Rob

I have not heard them and probably not. You need a good amplifier to do them justice, and you're not going to get that from a system like the Marantz. Everyone's hearing is different so you are just going to have audition as many speakers as you can preferably the more efficient ones.

Al - Andrew Everard, when reviewing the 603, tried it with PMC GB1i and said it sounded very good. So can't really see the the amp having issues with Wharfedales.

If the anniversary Dentons are anything like the XP2s of the 70s, they should be cracking. The main issue with the Dentons is stockists - few retailers actually hold them - pity.

Have heard the 603 with Q Acoustics, and that combo sounded nicely balanced - very impressve.

robdmarsh

Thanks for that.

I've actually found a pair of these on ebay for £200. The speakers I have at the moment, which quite frankly sound lovely, are Celestion 3 mkii. The trouble is they have a bashed in tweeter (not that I can hear any damage to sound quality), and I'm hoping to find something as musical and engaging but with more weight and tighter bass. I've also thought about B&W 601 s2/s3 which can be had for good prices on auction.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether these could offer the kind of sound I'm looking for?

I should also add that I'm looking for speakers which aren't too fussy about being placed quite close to a rear wall (say 6-8 inches) as I don't have much space to play with!

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I've listened to these speakers in a friend's system, driven by a Cambridge Audio Minx (Mynx?) all-in-one player.

They have a very mellow, warm and detailed sound, perhaps not ideal for hard rock/metal but well-suited to light jazz, vocals and pop. At 200 quid I would say they represent fantastic value, provided that is the sound you're after.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts