Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary - my thoughts

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Remember this was just a bit of lockdown fun. I had no intention of keeping the Wharfedales unless they blew me away. However, if I had the money and wanted to upgrade the PMCs, I'd be shortlisting these.... in no particular order:

Dynaudio Special 40
Harbeth 5HL
Dali Rubicon 2
Some nice speakers there, interesting that the Rubicon 2 comes in an active version.
Personally, I am interested in hearing the Harbeth 5HL and Spendor Classic 2/3 or 1/2 - just to see how they present certain types of music differently to the Spendor D7's. The D7's are fantastic, but I wonder whether other speakers might give me something different when listening to more relaxing music late at night.
Maybe I could keep both :)

Some nice speakers there, interesting that the Rubicon 2 comes in an active version.
Personally, I am interested in hearing the Harbeth 5HL and Spendor Classic 2/3 or 1/2 - just to see how they present certain types of music differently to the Spendor D7's. The D7's are fantastic, but I wonder whether other speakers might give me something different when listening to more relaxing music late at night.
Maybe I could keep both :)

It won't happen because the PMCs, with their bigger midrange/ bass driver, gives such a lovely layered presentation. From that aspect they sound quite old skool. It's the crisp top end that makes them sound modern.

IME the amp has more to do with the tonal qualities than the speakers. By that I mean, when I had the Dentons which are quite smooth according to professional and private reviews, I found on the neutral Leema, the Wharfedales to mirrored the amps traits. Not saying you can change the way a speaker presents music, but you can manipulate certain sonic aspects.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts