Whafedale Dovedale - speaker and amp pairing

t.jones20

Apr 22, 2021
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a nice pair of Wharfedale Dovedale 3's, and I am looking for some advice on the ideal amp to pair with them.

The Dovedale specifications are:

Type: 3 way, 3 driver loudspeaker system
Frequency Response: 45Hz to 20kHz
Power Handling: 50W
Crossover Frequency: 600, 5000Hz
Impedance: 6Ω
Bass: 1 x 300mm cone
Midrange: 1 x 130mm cone
Tweeter: 1 x 25mm
Enclosure: 45 litre
Dimensions: 610 x 356 x 305mm
Weight: 19.5kg
Year: 1971

I am looking at at Sansui AU 417 (https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sansui/au-417.shtml) with specs:

Power output: 65 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)
Frequency response: 5Hz to 100kHz
Total harmonic distortion: 0.02%
Damping factor: 60
Input sensitivity: 2.5mV (MM), 150mV (line)
Signal to noise ratio: 80dB (MM), 100dB (line)
Channel separation: 60dB (MM), 65dB (line)
Output: 150mV (line)
Speaker load impedance: 8Ω (minimum)
Dimensions: 430 x 168 x 395mm
Weight: 12.2kg
Year: 1980

I am looking at the 65 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo) power output and mindful of the 6Ω impedance of the speakers. Do you think the amp will be able to drive the speakers well, and will they sound nice together? Or am I better to look at an amp with a higher power output? What would be the ideal amp specifications to drive these speakers do you think?

Any help or suggestions would be very gratefully received! Many thanks all :)

Thom

insider9

Hi, couple of observations. In 1971 when your speakers were made 65Wpc amps pretty much didn't exist. Your speakers are a 6 Ohm load meaning the Sansui should do about 80W into 6 Ohms. Your speakers power handling is 50W. If anything you've got too much power not too little. In real terms you should be fine though.

t.jones20

Apr 22, 2021
Visit site
Hi, couple of observations. In 1971 when your speakers were made 65Wpc amps pretty much didn't exist. Your speakers are a 6 Ohm load meaning the Sansui should do about 80W into 6 Ohms. Your speakers power handling is 50W. If anything you've got too much power not too little. In real terms you should be fine though.

Hi, thanks so much for your helpful advice. I really appreciate it. My concern was that the amp might not have enough power to properly drive the speakers.

What sort of amp do you think would be ideally suited for these speakers?

Thanks

Hi, thanks so much for your helpful advice. I really appreciate it. My concern was that the amp might not have enough power to properly drive the speakers.

Thanks
welcome to the forum.
I think that has just been answered by insider9. Make sure that 40 year old amp has been serviced though.
why are you buying into stuff that old?

insider9

Thanks
I actually like your choice of amplification. Like Al says make sure that it's a good unit that has been well maintained and serviced.

When I had my Linton XP2 in the late 1970s they were powered by a Pioneer SA-706. Cracking combo, although that Pioneer only had 40 watts music power. Perhaps one of the bigger models. The only snag is they are going for silly money nowadays. Personally I would look at Pioneer A400 or maybe Marantz PM-7200 from the early 2000s. It had a separate Class A and A/B which the figures suggest was 90 watts per channel IIRC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts