Western Digital NAS HDD Red available to order

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
AlmaataKZ said:
But what about wake on lan? isn't this very very useful for home use? or essential? does not having it means that the nas will not go to sleep? or if it does go to sleep will not wake when an SB touch wants to play music???

Details here:

http://www.synology.com/support/faq_show.php?lang=us&q_id=437

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=106&t=43282

I don't think it'll automatically switch on when your SBT wants to play music off it. Probably someone else can confirm it.

To be honest, I'll prefer to leave my NAS switched on all the time, rather than pay the extra premium DS212 demands. The extra premium will pay for the extra electricity many times the life of the NAS.

Just to confirm that the Synology 212J will wake up automatically as soon as the SB Touch wants music (a very slight delay before the music starts to allow the disks to spin up)

Scissor_digits

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Something else to throw into the mix......My NAS is now over 2.5 years old but quite happily runs the latest software - DSM 4.0 and will support the next version - 4.1 which is currently in Beta.

I'm not saying QNAP don't have long support cycles for their boxes but it's reasuring to know any new features Synology release I'll be able to take advantage of without a tiresome/expensive hardware upgrade

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Indeed - another of my main reasons for choosing Synology is they are almost legendary in their support of Macs and OS X, whereas with my Buffalo, my old NAS essentially became useless to me as Buffalo refused to update it to allow OS X Lion to connect to it as it was "out of support".

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
Mine's arriving tomorrow. :)

Already received my Synology NAS on Saturday. Will set things up tomorrow. :dance:

QNAP TS-412 should be here tomorrow: plan is 4x3TB in RAID 5 – though the way things are around here with people on holiday and stuff, not a clue when I'll get round to doing it! Next week I hope...

Andrew Everard said:
QNAP TS-412 should be here tomorrow: plan is 4x3TB in RAID 5 – though the way things are around here with people on holiday and stuff, not a clue when I'll get round to doing it! Next week I hope...

While you're at it, can you please also let us know of the differences between QNAP & Synology softwares? Ease of use? Thanks.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
While you're at it, can you please also let us know of the differences between QNAP & Synology softwares? Ease of use? Thanks.

Will try to track down a Synology and have a look, but this is going to be more of a generic 'how to' piece, using the chosen components as an example, rather than a test.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts