Western Digital NAS HDD Red available to order

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Forgive my ignorance Big Boss, I just bought an Iomega network hard drive and have found it reasonably easy to integrate in to my network. It uses 5 separate folders for music, photos etc and I can see all the files using my laptop, iphone, ipad and even through my LG tv via DLNA.

The hard drive you're talking about is an internal HDD for a home PC, being 3.5 inch?? I'm not sure how you attach it to your network as I had to physically wire mine up via ethernet to my router.

For the price, this sounds like a great deal!

grdunn123 said:
Forgive my ignorance Big Boss, I just bought an Iomega network hard drive and have found it reasonably easy to integrate in to my network. It uses 5 separate folders for music, photos etc and I can see all the files using my laptop, iphone, ipad and even through my LG tv via DLNA.

The hard drive you're talking about is an internal HDD for a home PC, being 3.5 inch?? I'm not sure how you attach it to your network as I had to physically wire mine up via ethernet to my router.

I'm planning to buy this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Synology-DS212-Bay-NAS-Enclosure/dp/B005TOXI6A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342219210&sr=8-1

It comes without a hard disk drive which needs purchasing separately.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
grdunn123 said:
The hard drive you're talking about is an internal HDD for a home PC, being 3.5 inch??

Perhaps you should read the press release, the WD Red is NOT designed for PCs, it's specifically designed for use in NAS devices.

I'm not sure how you attach it to your network as I had to physically wire mine up via ethernet to my router.

Riiiight.... :doh:

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
grdunn123 said:

I'm planning to buy this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Synology-DS212-Bay-NAS-Enclosure/dp/B005TOXI6A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342219210&sr=8-1

It comes without a hard disk drive which needs purchasing separately.
+1 on buying the synology.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
grdunn123 said:
The hard drive you're talking about is an internal HDD for a home PC, being 3.5 inch??

Perhaps you should read the press release, the WD Red is NOT designed for PCs, it's specifically designed for use in NAS devices.

I'm not sure how you attach it to your network as I had to physically wire mine up via ethernet to my router.

Really worthwhile post!!

AAhh, thanks for that! Nothing like slagging off posters who've already professed minimal knowledge of a topic. Must make you feel all warm inside.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
grdunn123 said:
The_Lhc said:
grdunn123 said:

Really worthwhile post!!

AAhh, thanks for that! Nothing like slagging off posters who've already professed minimal knowledge of a topic. Must make you feel all warm inside.

If you have minimal knowledge of the topic why did you post to tell Bigboss he was wrong in his original post? That's hardly worthwhile is it? You don't know anything about the subject yet you still feel it necessary to correct people that do know what they're talking about, that's stunningly arrogant.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
grdunn123 said:
The_Lhc said:
grdunn123 said:

Really worthwhile post!!

If you have minimal knowledge of the topic why did you post to tell Bigboss he was wrong in his original post? That's hardly worthwhile is it? You don't know anything about the subject yet you still feel it necessary to correct people that do know what they're talking about, that's stunningly arrogant.

Go on then - where did I tell Big Boss he was wrong? quote please? I started my initial post by telling him how ignorant I was on this subject and asked for clarification - I have very limited knowledge and was interested in the item Big Boss highlighted but didn't know how it would be used. Whats stunningly arrogant is your one word (almost) response to a conversation in which you'd played no part previously. Please explain how you thought your offering was going to play any part in a positive thread. You've obviously been appointed to police these forums.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Prof, Bb, I am also considering the synology nas and 2 2tb wd red drives.

Re the nas, I see three models: 212, 212j and 212+. struggle to understand the difference. What is it?

Comparing gives 4 differences: http://www.synology.com/products/compare_spec.php?lang=uk&product_id_list=90%2C88%2C89#compare_show_top

Memory and speed - not sure how important these are for simple backup and itunes

Wake on lan - i think i need this

Hot swap hdds - very nice to have

Usb copy and sd copy. What the heck is that?

Synology now lists the 30 and 20efrx drive as compatible

Amazon now has the 2tb drives for gbp95.

1) The main difference between the 3 models is the speed. Even 212J is fast enough for home use.

2) 212 & 212+ have an extra USB port as compared to the 212J & are USB 3.0.

3) USB copy & SD copy means that you can insert your SD card (from the camera for example) or flash drive directly on the Synology & press "copy" to directly save pictures, files, videos etc. onto Synology without having to switch the PC on.

4) Why do you need hot swap HDDs? Can understand its use in a business situation where you may need a NAS to be working all the time. At home, you can always switch it off before swapping HDD.

I was considering the 212 over 212J because I could use the extra USB port to connect my printer & make it wireless. But now I'm considering the QNAP TS-212 which has 3 USB ports (although all 2.0 ) & is far cheaper than the Synology products. :?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
One of the main things I've liked about the Synology is the packages you can install on to it - the one I use most is called CloudStation and allows me to synchronise local documents in a home drive to my NAS. I use this quite a lot for work, but also personal documents. Basically, it allows me to work on something locally on my laptop when I'm out and above and, as long as I have an internet connection (even just a tether through my iPhone's 3G connection), it will sync this back to my NAS at home, so automatically backing things up as I work. Having suffered a hard drive failure and lost a week of work before, this is something that makes me feel a safer! It also lets me sync documents between laptops really easily (if you have both a work and a personal laptop like me).

With the iPhone apps, I can also access all these documents through this - this has come in very useful as it means I can access all my documents when I'm out and about - really useful tool. It also works for all my photos and music - essentially, it's a private cloud as I can access everything held on the NAS from the internet, even just through a web browser.

Not sure if the QNAP has things like this, but it's worth investigating before you choose between them if things like this would be useful for you.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
1) The main difference between the 3 models is the speed. Even 212J is fast enough for home use.

2) 212 & 212+ have an extra USB port as compared to the 212J & are USB 3.0.

3) USB copy & SD copy means that you can insert your SD card (from the camera for example) or flash drive directly on the Synology & press "copy" to directly save pictures, files, videos etc. onto Synology without having to switch the PC on.

4) Why do you need hot swap HDDs? Can understand its use in a business situation where you may need a NAS to be working all the time. At home, you can always switch it off before swapping HDD.

I was considering the 212 over 212J because I could use the extra USB port to connect my printer & make it wireless. But now I'm considering the QNAP TS-212 which has 3 USB ports (although all 2.0 ) & is far cheaper than the Synology products. :?

Thanks a lot! I definately do nto need the usb/sd copy, definately can live without hotswap, and speed is probably ok. 2 usb ports also likely to be sufficient (1 for printer and one vacant for occasional connections).

But what about wake on lan? isn't this very very useful for home use? or essential? does not having it means that the nas will not go to sleep? or if it does go to sleep will not wake when an SB touch wants to play music???

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
professorhat said:
One of the main things I've liked about the Synology is the packages you can install on to it - the one I use most is called CloudStation and allows me to synchronise local documents in a home drive to my NAS. I use this quite a lot for work, but also personal documents. Basically, it allows me to work on something locally on my laptop when I'm out and above and, as long as I have an internet connection (even just a tether through my iPhone's 3G connection), it will sync this back to my NAS at home, so automatically backing things up as I work. Having suffered a hard drive failure and lost a week of work before, this is something that makes me feel a safer! It also lets me sync documents between laptops really easily (if you have both a work and a personal laptop like me).

With the iPhone apps, I can also access all these documents through this - this has come in very useful as it means I can access all my documents when I'm out and about - really useful tool. It also works for all my photos and music - essentially, it's a private cloud as I can access everything held on the NAS from the internet, even just through a web browser.

Not sure if the QNAP has things like this, but it's worth investigating before you choose between them if things like this would be useful for you.

agree, this 'private cloud' functionality is very useful and I too would like to have it.

1) QNAP TS-212 has one touch copy feature as well.

2) It also has "private cloud" functionality & does everything Synology does.

3) It has 3 USB ports.

4) It's cheaper than even DS212J, leave alone DS212.

I'm increasingly finding it difficult to justify the extra premium Synology demands.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004LOANJ4/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=1RT1JJ6Z3ZCCGHA96TB1&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=317820867&pf_rd_i=468294

Decisions decisions! :?

AlmaataKZ said:
But what about wake on lan? isn't this very very useful for home use? or essential? does not having it means that the nas will not go to sleep? or if it does go to sleep will not wake when an SB touch wants to play music???

Details here:

http://www.synology.com/support/faq_show.php?lang=us&q_id=437

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=106&t=43282

I don't think it'll automatically switch on when your SBT wants to play music off it. Probably someone else can confirm it.

To be honest, I'll prefer to leave my NAS switched on all the time, rather than pay the extra premium DS212 demands. The extra premium will pay for the extra electricity many times the life of the NAS.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Bb, thanks for the links, excellent info and from it I understand I do not really need wol as even 212j will hybernate and wake and this is what i need, rather than wol from the off state which only the 212 and 212+ can do.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts