Well recorded albums

jimmy1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Everyone i listen to is dead so i need some suggestions for albums that are recorded really well, any period or genre is fine, i only use laptop for music so high resolution is fine too thanks

gasolin

Michael jackson off the wall and thriller

Jazz at the pawnshop

Anne Bisson Blue Mind

Anne Bisson Tales from the treetops

Eva cassidy Live at Blues Alley

Eric Clapton Unplugged

Gary more still got the blues

Miles davis Kind of blue

Dave Brubeck Time Out

Diana krall The girl in the other room

Vanessa Frenadez Use me

Tracy Chapman Tracy Chapman

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
- Recordings by Jacques Loussier

- Essential Yello

- Recordings by Ott

- Time Out by Dave Brubeck (especially Take Five)

- Recordings by Jack Johnson

- Recordings by Infected Musroom

- Recordings by Gorrillaz

- Getz/Gilberto

- Blue Man Group

- Eric Clapton Unplugged

- Beth Hart/Joe Bonamassa - Don't Explain

- Joe Bonamassa - Dust Bowl

- Nils Lofgren - Acoustic Live

- Recordings by Nitan Sawhney

Norah Jones.......Come away with me
Jason Mraz........We sing. We dance. We steel things.
Keb Mo............Keb Mo
Ana Caram.........Women of song (Chesky Records)
Charles Mingus....Tijuana Moods
Holly Cole........Temptations
Ray Charles.......Genius loves company
Sonny Rollins.....Original Classic Album Disc 4

jimmy1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
jimmy1 said:
Everyone i listen to is dead so i need some suggestions for albums that are recorded really well, any period or genre is fine, i only use laptop for music so high resolution is fine too thanks

Perhaps it is the fault of the laptop.

I meant most the artists i listen to are dead :)

Samd

jimmy1 said:
Al ears said:
jimmy1 said:

Brilliant, love it! The power of the pen eh?

Samd said:
jimmy1 said:
Al ears said:
jimmy1 said:

Brilliant, love it! The power of the pen eh?

I see, thought you meant the sound quality. :)

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Folk singer- Muddy waters
Aja- Steely Dan
Transformer-Lou Reed
Abraxas-Santana
Carvanserai- Santana
Mezzanine- Massive attack
Leftism- Leftfield
Entroducing- Dj Shadow
Giant Steps- John Coltrane
Kind of blue- Miles Davis
Sketches of Spain- Miles Davis

There is a good starter for 10

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Listening tonight to simply red - picture book. Seems very well recorded. Drdatabase confirs.

Did a search to see how well Sade's records were recorded, and drdatabase also confirms my thoughts that they were recorded at high quality. Saw some 18 scores on her records. Lots of green!

As mentioned many times (and on this forum), a lot of stuff in that era will have been recorded well.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Scritti politti (2 well recorded albums in the 80s)

Interestingly, did a quick search on the Dr database for Duran Duran, out of curiosity. They have 122 albums listed. All off them in the green, apart from less than 20 albums which have some red. All but one of these poorly recorded albums were recorded since 2000. All the ones prior (minus that one red), green.

Think this says something.

gasolin

radiorog said:
Listening tonight to simply red - picture book. Seems very well recorded. Drdatabase confirs.

Did a search to see how well Sade's records were recorded, and drdatabase also confirms my thoughts that they were recorded at high quality. Saw some 18 scores on her records. Lots of green!

As mentioned many times (and on this forum), a lot of stuff in that era will have been recorded well.

Just because it scores good on http://dr.loudness-war.info/ doesn't mean that the sound quality is good, it just means that all sounds are not equally loud like the 2 newest records made by metallica

jimmy1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
One size fits all- frank zappa

pastel blues- Nina simone (sinnerman is a beast) HD Tracks version

Bjork- homogenic

Eliza doolittle- smokey room (track)

Bill callahan- sometimes i wish i were an eagle

Charles mingus- The clown (haitian fight song)

Thought id mention a few i love, give em a try :)

jimmy1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
cno, lou reed transformer so far, i had already heard walk on the wild side song but really good chilled out album, and i like when you can tell its a proper double bass on songs thats why i like that eliza doolittle song :), might take me awhile to get round to hearing some of

the suggestions tho

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
radiorog said:

Just because it scores good on  http://dr.loudness-war.info/ doesn't mean that the sound quality is good, it just means that all sounds are not equally loud like the 2 newest records made by metallica
Ah right, ok, cheers for letting me know.
So if a low dynamic range it doesn't necessarily mean it's been recorded poorly, but is more likely to have been produced in such a way that it might not sound as natural?

gasolin

What is natural, high dynamic or it sounds naturally like a real guitar,drum..........

Low dynamic doesn't mean it distorts if it's under 0db , it's music recorded very loud that distors and give listening fattigue whether it has low og high dynamic it doesn't matter.Low dynamic it can be a difference of mabye 3 db of lowest and highest peak level, under 0db no distortion over 0db alot of distortion all the time, the same with high dynamic theres just a bigger difference between lowest and highest peak level.

As with low dynamic music it doesn't say anything about the sound quality, the depth,stereo image,details,if the bass is punchy clean,muddy,precise,agressiv midrange,open.......you name it.

Low dynamic music could be edm with alot of bass that could sound good, even when it's not neutral or natural

insider9

Never heard of low dynamic range drum sounding natural. For a drum to sound natural it needs to be recorded with high dynamic range.

Low dynamic EDM can't sound good. You may like it but it doesn't change the fact it doesn't sound good. But it's ok to like it.

Couple from me:

Opeth - Heritage
Opeth - Pale Communion
Opeth - Sorceress
Beck - Sea Change
Beck - Morning Phase

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I totally agree Insider.

Every recording I have with a dark green DR rating sounds great.

Every recording I have with a red DR rating sounds dynamically flat. Which makes it not great for serious listening. But maybe OK for listening as background in a car or in a factory. This is even though I have many red DR's that would be great if they hadn't been over compressed.

What you also have to watch out for is classic dark green albums that have been "specially remastered" into yellow or red DR's.

Having said that, some people seem to be more sensitive to dynamic compression than others. Some people seem to love being able to hear all the low level details more easily. I don't. I hate it, because it comes at the expense of the impact, natural ability of the music to breath in and out, or the emotion.

Having said that, I still have an open mind. Maybe someone will nominate a dark green DR rating recording that doesn't sound great?

Or they will nominate a red DR rating album that doesn't sound flat as a pancake when played back to back with a dark green?

insider9

My one of the first go to test albums. Beautifully recorded, played, arranged, sung and superb to test emotional involvement.

Definitely in my top 5 albums of all time. And sound quality had no impact on that pick even though it is excellent.

TRENDING THREADS