Well my ProAcs are finally up

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
In my kitchen. Yippee. Managed to paint for 5 hours without a break the other night because the music was keeping me going very nicely indeed!!!!!!

A

Anonymous

How do they sound? Tell me every bit of info! How do they compare to your Dalis?

Hope you really like them!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
It's probably not an entirely fair trial just yet, as the ProAcs are near the ceiling and wall mounted, and nowhere near run in yet.

Having said that, already they have proven themselves to be very capable, very musical and very involving. Playing some Seb Fontaine through them while doing some painting the other night was joy, didn't want to switch them off. They also seem to be a bit more forgiving of bad recordings than my Dali's although probably only 98% as good on the detail.

Very pleased so far especially considering the less than ideal positioning.

A

Anonymous

Sound pretty cool! Do you think they are better than the Studio 110s or the PMC GB1s?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"]Sound pretty cool! Do you think they are better than the Studio 110s or the PMC GB1s?[/quote]

I couldn't say as I'm not familiar with either of those two speakers. Both have had very good reviews though. I'm happy with what I have. Certainly a bigger sound than I was expecting from such a cute little speaker.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Hughes123"]Sound pretty cool! Do you think they are better than the Studio 110s or the PMC GB1s?[/quote]
Forgive me for butting in but the little Proacs are a different ballgame to the Studio 110s and GB1s. They certainly want to be near a wall to ensure bass extension, but the imaging you get is exceptional if placed carefully. I spent a long time playing with these last weekend but forgot about them after hearing the Spendor SA1s :) The ickle Proacs will give you more detail and focus than the Studio 110s and GB1s but will compromise the extension a little. Laws of physics. What they do give is great is positioned well though.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="igglebert"][quote user="Hughes123"]Sound pretty cool! Do you think they are better than the Studio 110s or the PMC GB1s?[/quote]
Forgive me for butting in but the little Proacs are a different ballgame to the Studio 110s and GB1s. They certainly want to be near a wall to ensure bass extension, but the imaging you get is exceptional if placed carefully. I spent a long time playing with these last weekend but forgot about them after hearing the Spendor SA1s :) The ickle Proacs will give you more detail and focus than the Studio 110s and GB1s but will compromise the extension a little. Laws of physics. What they do give is great is positioned well though.[/quote]

OMG! When did you get those SA1s??????? WOW! WHAT ARE THEY LIKE???

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I've just tried 2 tunes as follows:

1) Dubtribe Sound System - Do it now

2) LHB - Sorry's not gonna get me high

The bass is full, tight, and pretty damn good. These are two very bass heavy tracks and they sound wonderful. Very little colouration and put it this way, if you were in a bar and heard them you'd be dancing round young ladies' handbags!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"]I've just tried 2 tunes as follows:

The bass is full, tight, and pretty damn good. These are two very bass heavy tracks and they sound wonderful. Very little colouration and put it this way, if you were in a bar and heard them you'd be dancing round young ladies' handbags!
[/quote]

Sounds great :)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Hughes123"]OMG! When did you get those SA1s??????? WOW! WHAT ARE THEY LIKE???[/quote]

Ordered them last Saturday and am waiting for them... :-D

They sound superb. Very natural, very smooth, amazing midrange and suck every last bit of quality out of my amp....rather, they really would prefer to be on the end of a Musical Fidelity A5.5 or Primare I30. Although rated at 75Hz +-3dB, the bass they produce is very very good indeed. They're sealed units so don't depend on being near a wall to get the balance. I found them to produce a more complete sound than the ickle Proacs (in free space), even though they're rated to 38Hz!

I've been after something transparent and natural sounding for a while and thought I'd take a drive to hear the Proac Tab Ref 8 Sigs and 1SCs. I liked them very much but was concerned that I needed to put the former near a wall to get the bass I like and the latter away from a wall to stop boom. Neither were right for my circumstances, although both sounded great. Enter the Spendors. That ended my search. I suspect I'll be adding a decent sub in the future but I've found the natural sound I've been craving for.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="igglebert"][quote user="Hughes123"]OMG! When did you get those SA1s??????? WOW! WHAT ARE THEY LIKE???[/quote]

They sound superb. Very natural, very smooth, amazing midrange and suck every last bit of quality out of my amp....rather, they really would prefer to be on the end of a Musical Fidelity A5.5 or Primare I30. Although rated at 75Hz +-3dB, the bass they produce is very very good indeed. They're sealed units so don't depend on being near a wall to get the balance. I found them to produce a more complete sound than the ickle Proacs (in free space), even though they're rated to 38Hz!

I've been after something transparent and natural sounding for a while and thought I'd take a drive to hear the Proac Tab Ref 8 Sigs and 1SCs. I liked them very much but was concerned that I needed to put the former near a wall to get the bass I like and the latter away from a wall to stop boom. Neither were right for my circumstances, although both sounded great. Enter the Spendors. That ended my search. I suspect I'll be adding a decent sub in the future but I've found the natural sound I've been craving for.[/quote]

Wow! I'm really stuck for speakers at the moment, and I was thinking along the lines of the ProAcs or Spendors and then adding a REL T3 to get the bass, but I'm worried the sub would wreck the timing and soundstage. But then, at that sort of price, I could get some B&W 805s nearly new!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JoelSim"]I've just tried 2 tunes as follows:

The bass is full, tight, and pretty damn good. These are two very bass heavy tracks and they sound wonderful. Very little colouration and put it this way, if you were in a bar and heard them you'd be dancing round young ladies' handbags![/quote]

Fantastic choice in tracks to test with, especially Dubtribe.

This is oe track ive used over and over again, especially when toe'ing in my speakers to get the right sound stage. It was also the 1st track i used when i added my power amp and my my, chills down my spine etc :)

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"][quote user="igglebert"][quote user="Hughes123"]OMG! When did you get those SA1s??????? WOW! WHAT ARE THEY LIKE???[/quote]

I've been after something transparent and natural sounding for a while and thought I'd take a drive to hear the Proac Tab Ref 8 Sigs and 1SCs. I liked them very much but was concerned that I needed to put the former near a wall to get the bass I like and the latter away from a wall to stop boom. Neither were right for my circumstances, although both sounded great. Enter the Spendors. That ended my search. I suspect I'll be adding a decent sub in the future but I've found the natural sound I've been craving for.[/quote]

Wow! I'm really stuck for speakers at the moment, and I was thinking along the lines of the ProAcs or Spendors and then adding a REL T3 to get the bass, but I'm worried the sub would wreck the timing and soundstage. But then, at that sort of price, I could get some B&W 805s nearly new![/quote]

To be honest, if you're looking at spending that amount of £££ i'd stick with the B&W's on some decent stands. The soundstage they offer will be hell of alot better then the ProAcs or Spendors with the sub added on as well.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="d_a_n1979"][quote user="Hughes123"][quote user="igglebert"][quote user="Hughes123"]OMG! When did you get those SA1s??????? WOW! WHAT ARE THEY LIKE???[/quote]

Wow! I'm really stuck for speakers at the moment, and I was thinking along the lines of the ProAcs or Spendors and then adding a REL T3 to get the bass, but I'm worried the sub would wreck the timing and soundstage. But then, at that sort of price, I could get some B&W 805s nearly new![/quote]

To be honest, if you're looking at spending that amount of £££ i'd stick with the B&W's on some decent stands. The soundstage they offer will be hell of alot better then the ProAcs or Spendors with the sub added on as well.
[/quote]
Arh, but have you heard the Spendor SA1s? :) I suspect hell of a lot better is something of an exaggeration...but it is fair to say that different speakers do different things well.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Ive heard the SA1s along with the SA5's as well and didnt like either.

They were auditioned along with Cyrus 6v2 and 8v2 amps, Roksan Kandy LIII and Arcam A90 amps as well. Used the Cyrus 6 & 8 CDPs along with my Arcam Alpha 9 CDP and the Roksan Kandy CDP.

Theyre very musical dont get me wrong, but for the music that i listen to and what my girlfriend listens too (shes got the Cyrus 8v2 integrated, 8 power and 8 CDP with B&W CM7 speakers) the Spendors severly lacked bass weight and the midrange was a little off.

Thats just IMO though. As i always say, everyones hearing is different.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="d_a_n1979"]Ive heard the SA1s along with the SA5's as well and didnt like either.

They were auditioned along with Cyrus 6v2 and 8v2 amps, Roksan Kandy LIII and Arcam A90 amps as well. Used the Cyrus 6 & 8 CDPs along with my Arcam Alpha 9 CDP and the Roksan Kandy CDP.

Theyre very musical dont get me wrong, but for the music that i listen to and what my girlfriend listens too (shes got the Cyrus 8v2 integrated, 8 power and 8 CDP with B&W CM7 speakers) the Spendors severly lacked bass weight and the midrange was a little off.

Thats just IMO though. As i always say, everyones hearing is different.
[/quote]
Fair play (although I don't know what the SA5 is...sure you're not referring to the S5? Not as good as the new SA1 - sublime midrange) It's all fun anyway...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="d_a_n1979"]Ive heard the SA1s along with the SA5's as well and didnt like either.

Thats just IMO though. As i always say, everyones hearing is different.[/quote]

I know where you're coming from actually. But I think you're talking about the S5a rather than the SA5 (which doesn't exist...no offence or anyting...)!

I can't afford the B&W right now (new hi-fi rack and interconnects need replacing first), but I think if I'm gonna do it properly, I might aswell do it properly if you know what I mean!

A

Anonymous

Anyway...back to the subject.

That Dubtribe Sound System - Do it now - doesn't it have two versions? A more chilled version and then a more clubbing version. Which one did you listen too? Actually, listening to it throught my Creative Audigy 2 ZS headphone amp, it sounds really good!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts