Well done Yamaha

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I really admire the wholehearted way Yamaha have adopted a really flexible approach to streaming and multi-room with their MusicCast system, and I don't think it'll be long before dipping my own toe in.

From user reports their app seems stable, reliable and user-friendly, but it's their vast array of compatible products at different price points that's really impressive. I've just noticed a new addition too, the Yamaha NP-S303 Network Player.

Before in their range they had the WX-AD10 streamer, which was very reasonably priced (£145) but lacked digital outputs. Fine for a budget system or maybe a second room. But if you had better quality components and a good DAC, you had to up the price to the WXC-50 for digital outputs, which for many included an unnecessary pre-amp (if you already owned a good DAC and a decent integrated amp for example).

But the new Yamaha NP-S303 Network Player at £329 seems a very pleasant halfway house. Nicely standard sized to fit in with other components and with digital outputs to take advantage of a better DAC if your system could reveal the difference. It also makes competitors like Bluesound's Node to look expensive at £500.

As time goes by and streaming from music subscription services rapidly take a bigger and bigger chunk of the way most people access their music, it makes sense to me to have a streamer as a separate component. But I like the idea of the Yamaha NP-S303 Network Player for a main system and using the less expensive WX-AD10 for another room, both for less than the price of one Bluesound Node.

Proof of the pudding will be in the eating of course. If I do dip the toe in, I'll report back any findings.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Leeps.

And as compared to the plethora of other multi room systems, I think their ability to stream from one peice of kit to the other via WiFi is the killer blow. We can keep adding other components at a reasonable cost and keep expanding, without having to worry about wiring hassles.

Thanks for the post, as I'd not seen this before, or if I had then I'd forgotten! Slightly disappointed they referred to it as entry level, when they don't list any better network players, but then I sometimes wonder if Hi end network players are a bit of a con. Until I hear a Linn Klimax, that is.

It reminds me of the discontinued NP-S2000 which was the first such player I almost bought as it looked so slick. Sadly the tech of these devices seems to get dated very quickly, which means a manufacturer with a long history - no doubts over Yamaha there! - is reassuring, as is a modular or upgradeable design.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Quiet fast. But as long as it has a good control app, a stable network connection without drop outs, and the ability to pass digital bits from one end to the other unmolested. I think the system can serve for a long time to come. Just have to add better external DAC's where quality is required of course. And this is exactly how I intend to use the wxc-50. It will act as a audio hub, that can be controlled via an app. And going into the dac. 12v triggers to control the amp through the Yamaha. And we have a full stereo system that can be app controllable, except the volume. So just a tablet and one remote will suffice for control.

insider9

newlash09 said:
Quiet fast. But as long as it has a good control app, a stable network connection without drop outs, and the ability to pass digital bits from one end to the other unmolested. I think the system can serve for a long time to come. Just have to add better external DAC's where quality is required of course. And this is exactly how I intend to use the wxc-50. It will act as a audio hub, that can be controlled via an app. And going into the dac. 12v triggers to control the amp through the Yamaha. And we have a full stereo system that can be app controllable, except the volume. So just a tablet and one remote will suffice for control.

You can control the volume from Yamaha. Set WXC-50 to max and adjust the volume on your amp to what you want it to be at it's loudest. Then set Yamaha to start at -10dB for example. It will allow you to go up and down in volume as you please and protect you from ever going louder than you want.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Apart from the huge variety of price points of MusicCast compatible products, their whole-hearted approach to streaming inspires confidence that they'll support the app development in the long term.

I wonder how many streamers from just a few years ago are now just expensive paperweights because the software hasn't been supported. But as the MusicCast app is a function of pretty much their entire range, you know Yamaha won't be dropping it any day soon. This same confidence can't be had where a manufacturer has developed an app specifically for one product alone.

Curiously as an alternative to £329 Yamaha's NP-S303 streamer, Pioneer's similarly priced £349 N30AE doesn't have digital outputs. For those you need to go further up the range to the N50AE at £800. For a streamer that all you want to do is feed another DAC, that's crazy money.

Price is a big factor in multi-room when you times the cheapest streamer by 2 or 3 rooms.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I had considered the pioneers as a alternative. And not having a co axial out in their budget models was a no for me. Besides I've read that the pioneer app is falky at times.

Now iam waiting for Yamaha to launch a full size cd player with FM and music cast. That would be a complete winner for me. I could control it via the tablet without ever using the remote.

insider9

newlash09 said:
I can use the wxc-50 to control the volume if I use it as a preamp. But can I use it to control volume even if I just use it to stream into the dac of the amp. Thanks...
Yes, you still can. Just keep it as a preamp on the settings and use digital outputs. Ive used it with several DACs via both Coax and Optical. You can bypass tone controls etc. and only use volume from the app.

If you use IR trigger you will be able to switch everything on, control volume and switch it all off in the end. Very neat solution, as long as the amp is set to the right input.

I have my IR trigger the other way. I need to switch on an amp for Yamaha to come on. The though of someone suddenly playing music in the middle of the night freaks me out :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
newlash09 said:
I can use the wxc-50 to control the volume if I use it as a preamp. But can I use it to control volume even if I just use it to stream into the dac of the amp. Thanks...
Yes, you still can. Just keep it as a preamp on the settings and use digital outputs. Ive used it with several DACs via both Coax and Optical. You can bypass tone controls etc. and only use volume from the app.

If you use IR trigger you will be able to switch everything on, control volume and switch it all off in the end. Very neat solution, as long as the amp is set to the right input.

I have my IR trigger the other way. I need to switch on an amp for Yamaha to come on. The though of someone suddenly playing music in the middle of the night freaks me out :)

I'm not sure exactly what you are saying here.

Are you saying that you can adjust volume levels on the WXC50 digital outs. Ie if you upgrade the dac with a device that has no level controls, the WXC 50 can still control the volume?

The Sonos Connect can do this, it would be great if the WXC50 does too, very useful.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
The WXC50 has a volume control to adjust the level from iTunes if using iTunes as it adjusts the output level coming from the source which for me is iTunes

but over all volume is controlled from the master volume on the amplifier so you turn the the volume on the WXC50 up fully and leave it alone but the WXC50 talks to the output level when turning up or down on the master volume on the amplifier .or from the iTunes airplay app say on a iPad .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Leeps said:
I really admire the wholehearted way Yamaha have adopted a really flexible approach to streaming and multi-room with their MusicCast system, and I don't think it'll be long before dipping my own toe in.

From user reports their app seems stable, reliable and user-friendly, but it's their vast array of compatible products at different price points that's really impressive. I've just noticed a new addition too, the Yamaha NP-S303 Network Player.

Before in their range they had the WX-AD10 streamer, which was very reasonably priced (£145) but lacked digital outputs. Fine for a budget system or maybe a second room. But if you had better quality components and a good DAC, you had to up the price to the WXC-50 for digital outputs, which for many included an unnecessary pre-amp (if you already owned a good DAC and a decent integrated amp for example).

But the new Yamaha NP-S303 Network Player at £329 seems a very pleasant halfway house. Nicely standard sized to fit in with other components and with digital outputs to take advantage of a better DAC if your system could reveal the difference. It also makes competitors like Bluesound's Node to look expensive at £500.

As time goes by and streaming from music subscription services rapidly take a bigger and bigger chunk of the way most people access their music, it makes sense to me to have a streamer as a separate component. But I like the idea of the Yamaha NP-S303 Network Player for a main system and using the less expensive WX-AD10 for another room, both for less than the price of one Bluesound Node.

Proof of the pudding will be in the eating of course. If I do dip the toe in, I'll report back any findings.
you might as well buy a WXC50 pre as it’s cheaper to buy it takes no room up it also has a very good onboard DAC or you can plum it into the back of a CD player and use the DAC on the CD player and the WXC50 support most formats available it’s excellent value for money

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
The WXC50 has a volume control to adjust the level from iTunes if using iTunes as it adjusts the output level coming from the source which for me is iTunes

but over all volume is controlled from the master volume on the amplifier so you turn the the volume on the WXC50 up fully and leave it alone but the WXC50 talks to the output level when turning up or down on the master volume on the amplifier .or from the iTunes airplay app say on a iPad .

I understand how the WXC50 can sync with the volume in iTunes but the thing I really want to know is whether the master volume adjusts the volume on the digital outputs as well as the analogue outs? Ie can I upgrade using a better dac (with no level control) and still control level from the master volume?

Whilst picking your brains, do you know whether the subwoofer output is full range or bass only?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
davedotco said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

I understand how the WXC50 can sync with the volume in iTunes but the thing I really want to know is whether the master volume adjusts the volume on the digital outputs as well as the analogue outs? Ie can I upgrade using a better dac (with no level control) and still control level from the master volume?

Whilst picking your brains, do you know whether the subwoofer output is full range or bass only?
to be honest not 100% sure as the only way I bypassed the WXC50 onboard Dac was by using a coax lead into my Yamaha CD player and using the CD players on board DAC instead which was better then the WXC50 onboard DAC so I would say yes you could buy a standalone DAC and connect in the same way if the DAC has the inputs and the master volume on a amplifier would take control of the volume .

in regards of subwoofer being used with the WXC50 I personally do not no as I never used a subwoofer with it so not tried to find out but there is a online manual that you can look at to find out .

insider9

davedotco said:

Are you saying that you can adjust volume levels on the WXC50 digital outs. Ie if you upgrade the dac with a device that has no level controls, the WXC 50 can still control the volume?

The Sonos Connect can do this, it would be great if the WXC50 does too, very useful.

Sorry I was only on one cup of coffe at that point, this morning.

To clarify. Yes, this is exactly what I'm saying. Have been using it like this for quite a while with Minidsp via coax and now with Mojo via optical.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
davedotco said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

to be honest not 100% sure as the only way I bypassed the WXC50 onboard Dac was by using a coax lead into my Yamaha CD player and using the CD players on board DAC instead which was better then the WXC50 onboard DAC so I would say yes you could buy a standalone DAC and connect in the same way if the DAC has the inputs and the master volume on a amplifier would take control of the volume .

in regards of subwoofer being used with the WXC50 I personally do not no as I never used a subwoofer with it so not tried to find out but there is a online manual that you can look at to find out .

I have read the manuals, both normal and advanced, but neither answer my questions.

You use the WXC50, via coax to the dac in your CD player and, I assume, adjust volume on your integrated amp. What I am trying to ascertain is this, if you were to switch the WXC50 into pre-amp mode, would this then control the volume sent via the dac so that you could use a power amp (or in my case active speakers) instead of an integrated amp.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
davedotco said:

Sorry I was only on one cup of coffe at that point, this morning.

To clarify. Yes, this is exactly what I'm saying. Have been using it like this for quite a while with Minidsp via coax and now with Mojo via optical.

That is brilliant, thank you. I was having a somewhat similar thought, using the WXC50 into a DS Antimode Dual Core feeding both active speakers and sub.

Christ, I'm beginning to come over all 'hi-fi enthusiast' again. Must go and lie down...*shok*

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
That functionality was unknown to me. I really don't like sitting with my lap full of remotes. The idea of controlling everything from one single tablet really appeals to me. And iam glad I can do it with the Yamaha.

Now iam just waiting for a full width cd player with FM and app control. As most of the present cd players only come with remote controls now a days.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
newlash09 said:
That functionality was unknown to me. I really don't like sitting with my lap full of remotes. The idea of controlling everything from one single tablet really appeals to me. And iam glad I can do it with the Yamaha.

Now iam just waiting for a full width cd player with FM and app control. As most of the present cd players only come with remote controls now a days.
there is a digital radio on the WXC50 already which picks up all FM stations and you can select any station from the Yamaha app so if your using a iPad it will show you all the info of the radio station on the app which you download from apple or there is a android app too

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
davedotco said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
davedotco said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

I have read the manuals, both normal and advanced, but neither answer my questions.

You use the WXC50, via coax to the dac in your CD player and, I assume, adjust volume on your integrated amp. What I am trying to ascertain is this, if you were to switch the WXC50 into pre-amp mode, would this then control the volume sent via the dac so that you could use a power amp (or in my case active speakers) instead of an integrated amp.
yes that’s correct I can set the volume though my normal amplifier and use the CD player Dac instead of the WXC50 Dac

on the back of the WXC50 there is a switch that says pre-amp and player Yamaha also make the WXA-50 which is a normal amplifier but would turn into a power amplifier to work with the WXC50 as it’s a pre-amplifier .

So there must be a switch on the back of the WXA50 which turns it into a power amplifier I would of thought

Am I right in thinking this would be for active speakers use your trying to find out how the WXC50 would work in conjunction with active speakers ?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
davedotco said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
davedotco said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

yes that’s correct I can set the volume though my normal amplifier and use the CD player Dac instead of the WXC50 Dac

on the back of the WXC50 there is a switch that says pre-amp and player Yamaha also make the WXA-50 which is a normal amplifier but would turn into a power amplifier to work with the WXC50 as it’s a pre-amplifier .

So there must be a switch on the back of the WXA50 which turns it into a power amplifier I would of thought

Am I right in thinking this would be for active speakers use your trying to find out how the WXC50 would work in conjunction with active speakers ?

I can run the analog out from the WXC50 in pre-amp mode directly into my active speakers. The WXC50 controls the volume, no problem, works fine.

Now if I run a digital out from the WXC50, still in pre-amp mode, into another dac that has no level control, then analog out from the 'new' dac into my speakers, will the WXC50 volume still work, ie does it change the volume on the digital outs as well as the analog outs?

Don't worry about the answer, insider9 seems to know the score, see his post #15.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
davedotco said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
davedotco said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
davedotco said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

I can run the analog out from the WXC50 in pre-amp mode directly into my active speakers. The WXC50 controls the volume, no problem, works fine.

Now if I run a digital out from the WXC50, still in pre-amp mode, into another dac that has no level control, then analog out from the 'new' dac into my speakers, will the WXC50 volume still work, ie does it change the volume on the digital outs as well as the analog outs?

Don't worry about the answer, insider9 seems to know the score, see his post #15.
I cannot honestly say as I’ve not used the WXC50 in this way before sorry I cannot help you

insider9

davedotco said:

Yes, they are independent. As long as you're using analogue pre outs and not line outs. I've used analogue pre to headphone amp before and digital coax to Minidsp or other dacs. Both working independently.

Must say Yamaha did a fab job in terms of what's on offer, connectivity wise. Both physically to/from the unit and different file formats, etc. That's why it's so hard for me to replace. And I've had a couple of attempts already.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
davedotco said:

Yes, they are independent. As long as you're using analogue pre outs and not line outs. I've used analogue pre to headphone amp before and digital coax to Minidsp or other dacs. Both working independently.

Must say Yamaha did a fab job in terms of what's on offer, connectivity wise. Both physically to/from the unit and different file formats, etc. That's why it's so hard for me to replace. And I've had a couple of attempts already.
I currently have mine in its box because the Av amplifier I brought made the WXC50 redundant as my RX1070 has the airplay already

but to be honest I miss it so might hook it back up again but it’s a extra box when I have the 1070 sitting there with that function on it .

Squall Leonhart

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I currently have mine in its box because the Av amplifier I brought made the WXC50 redundant as my RX1070 has the airplay already

but to be honest I miss it so might hook it back up again but it’s a extra box when I have the 1070 sitting there with that function on it .

Do you still use your AS2100 when listening to stereo music?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts