Announcement Welcome to the What Hi-Fi? forum. Introduce yourself!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Tran67

Mar 27, 2020
Visit site
View attachment 4

Hello everyone and welcome to the launch (or should we say relaunch) of the What Hi-Fi? .Com forums. We’re so excited to have this forum up and running and to be seeing visitors old and new back here, the home of What Hi-Fi? discussion! For those returning, all your old discussions are right where you left them, frozen in time, all you need to do is reset your password and you’re good to go. For our new members, welcome to the home of Hi-FI Talk!

Here's a rundown on the stuff we have planned for launch week!

🎵Your Hi-fi, Your Music!

We’re looking for contributors for the Ultimate Audiophile playlist! Post a song in our suggestion thread, and we may feature you in the playlist and on our website.

🎧What Hi-Fi? Launch Competition!

We'll have a competition thread open later in the week where you'll get a chance to win something awesome!

🎤Introduce yourself here!

Let us know more about you in this thread, and tell us your top 3 Desert Island disks. Mine are:

1. Supertramp The Best Of
  2. ELO The Best Of
  3. Baker Gurvits Army - The German Sessions

Yup, 70's prog rock, how cliche. ;)

Looking forward to hearing from you,

The Future Community Team
1 .Id Rather Go Blind -Beth Hart & Joe Bonamassa
2. Loving You - The Flying Pickets
3.Rockabilly Rebel- Matchbox

Reactions: jsimenhoff

vrvly

Apr 25, 2020
Visit site
View attachment 4

Hello everyone and welcome to the launch (or should we say relaunch) of the What Hi-Fi? .Com forums. We’re so excited to have this forum up and running and to be seeing visitors old and new back here, the home of What Hi-Fi? discussion! For those returning, all your old discussions are right where you left them, frozen in time, all you need to do is reset your password and you’re good to go. For our new members, welcome to the home of Hi-FI Talk!

🎵Your Hi-fi, Your Music!

We’re looking for contributors for the Ultimate Audiophile playlist! Post a song in our suggestion thread, and we may feature you in the playlist and on our website.

We'll have a competition thread open later in the week where you'll get a chance to win something awesome!

Let us know more about you in this thread, and tell us your top 3 Desert Island disks. Mine are:

2. ELO The Best Of

There is not really limit for genre for me(mostly), for now my daily vibrations consists od gang rap.
If I got to choose 3 albums, it would be ones I cannot imagine my life without:
1. Classic España - 1962, 1966, 1967 collection of classics on cassette, heard it as kid a lot and now jus sometimes, but its very relaxing to listen, its hard to find exact digital copy though, same composer, year etc. could find something on amazon, should renew my search soon.
Here are links for the cover: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxo-ajhYMXJpODcwUjdoSkg5UmM/view?usp=sharing , https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxo-ajhYMXJpMVBwOGpsWm5qejg/view?usp=sharing .
2. Halo Combat Evolved Soundtrack - 2001 space sci fi music .
3. LoGH soundtrack (Legend of the Galactic Heroes 1988+ anime series) - again space classic music, what I mean by that is it blends perfectly to this sci fi space 110 episode story, what I would never expect for classic music.

Classic genre is often underestimated, but guess what they play to the babies... Bach.

Reactions: jsimenhoff

Nestor Najwa

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Just 3 Albums? Well, in that case length is an issue, so I need at least one double album.
-Zappa: Joe's Garage Acts I, II & III
-The Who: Quadrophenia
-The (always underrated) Kinks: Arthur, or the Rise and Fall of the British Empire
-And I'll smuggle the Stones' Exile On Main Street in my sock

On 2d thought, maybe I'd be better off with Greatest Hits Compilations;
Rolling Stones: Hot Rocks
Kinks: The Kink Kronikles
Nothing could replace Joe's Garage and no one could ever replace Frank Zappa -- Musician, Composer, Free Speech Activist and generally a (occasionally vulgar) voice of reason.
And, of course, I'll cheat again and somehow smuggle all five discs of Frank Sinatra/Tommy Dorsey: The Song is You.

Really, I'm here to learn more about hi-res audio. Once upon a time, there was an upstart computer company that devised a brilliant little machine that allowed you to carry around your entire music library in a unit the size of a deck of cards. It came with brilliantly simple software to help me organize, rate and compile my music. They also sold music in a dismal MP3 format, but there was always an option to rip your own CDs into your library using their lossless codec. And all was well. Then they started grafting applications onto the software-- videos, movies, games, podcasts, books, and the little machine became a phone without buttons and drastically reduced storage for lossless tracks. Now, more than 20 years later, I've lost my carefully-crafted playlists twice in the past year because the software has more bugs than a rainforest. I spend hours on the phone trying to fix the issues, which only get worse. I dread every "update" pushed out to accommodate their latest phone or other device in their "ecosystem". And I am DESPERATE to get out of that ecosystem. I'd like to do it without having to re-rip my entire CD collection and I am intrigued by new Hi-Res audio formats. So I made some purchases -- a Brennan B2 to store my discs in a lossless format and a Fiios M11 to a) replace the aging iPod Classic which remains my main source of musical enjoyment and b) dip my toe in the waters of services like TIDAL to see if there might be something better than CD-Quality in a portable format.

I am old enough to remember the endless hassle of fragile vinyl records, with their static, hiss, pops and other sounds, not to mention using a "Discwasher", which everyone had, but which never really worked, and taping coins to the tone arm of the turntable to avoid skips before spending even more money on a new "diamond" needle. So I'm not going back to all that any more than I am going to buy a car that requires me to crank the battery before it will start. I'm searching for that perfect sound in the smallest possible package.

I'm a big fan of Oppo products, including my little HA-1 DAC which improves the sound coming out of my iPod Classic and, yeah, my buttonless phone as well, because the Classic is incompatible with my car's audio system, so I need Bluetooth, which is a little like chewing aluminum foil when it comes to sound quality. I also love my Oppo UDP-205, which is far more than a 4K BluRay player; it's almost an AVR with both analog and digital inputs, the latter processing sound through professional-quality DACs. I'm slightly less enthusiastic about my real AVR, an Anthem MRX-1120, only because it lacks those analog inputs. But it does a fine job handling just about any music format, it's much smaller than less-accomplished machines, and it is extremely user-friendly when it comes to customizing and redirecting sound. Both the Oppo and the Anthem are very well-built and I don't see myself replacing them for many years. Of course, that's how I felt about my last plasma TV, a 65" Panasonic. But that was before lightning hit my house (exactly five years ago TODAY) and Panny's "customer service" was wretchedly unhelpful. I currently watch an LG 77" OLED -- protected by a beefy Panamax Power Conditioner -- that would be much cheaper now than when I bought it, but I'm the guy that bought a HD-DVD player the first day it was available to the public, a few months before BluRay made it practically obsolete. Even so, the best (and heaviest) TV I've ever owned is still working in my bedroom -- a final-generation 60" Pioneer Kuro plasma.

I believe in owning physical media and making electronic copies rather than skipping the physical and buying fickle clumps of electrons. My speakers are all Bowers & Wilkins and they are all (except the B&W in-ceiling speakers I purchased for Atmos and the B&W speakers in my car) 5-6 years older than my son, a junior in college. When a company makes speaker cones out of Kevlar rather than paper, the speakers are going to last longer.

And that's my story. R.I.P. FZ.

Dazler

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
View attachment 4

🎵Your Hi-fi, Your Music!

2. ELO The Best Of

Hi all ,my favourites would be.
View attachment 4

🎵Your Hi-fi, Your Music!

2. ELO The Best Of

Hi all,my favourites would be. 1 Pink floyd wish you were here.2 Creedence Clearwater Revival Cosmos Factory . 3 UB40 Labour of Love 2

JimGilbert

Jun 8, 2020
Visit site
Hi Everyone
Well I finally got enough money and the right house for a home cinema / media / games room.
Done it the wrong way round as usual. Ordered the gear then found a source of great guidance and information. Hopefully I haven’t gone to far wrong within my budget having ordered a Denon AVR 3600. Q Acoustics Cinema pack with fronts upgraded to 3020i and a pair of Qi65 for the overhead sound to complement the Atmos capability.

Carpinus

Jul 9, 2020
Visit site
Hello! I mainly read What Hifi and wander round hifi shops to dream - if I ever have serious money it'll go on music and things to make it sound transcendent. Bought my first separates system in Richer Sounds London Bridge in 1992 aged 16 with the proceeds of a whiplash injury (true story). For the last twenty years I've been wigging out to a Denon DM3 and Tannoy Mercury MX2s, which I still love. Have added a Rega RSD10 special to them in the last couple of years. They make me very happy, but it would be nice to upgrade one day to something truly silly and beautiful.
Today's Desert Island Discs:
Joni Mitchell - Blue
Nick Drake - Bryter Layter
Father John Misty - Pure Comedy

(Best Ofs Are Cheating)

Stu.S

Jul 22, 2020
Visit site
Hi.
Hifi using Rotel Int, B&W Speakers,Bluesound Node
Current TV Samsung 50" 4K , Purchased on a whim on BF a few years ago. not the best but now looking to upgrade

Mitch88

Aug 19, 2020
Visit site
I’m was in Cobargo NSW but now in Bermagui NSW Australia .....Oprah’s been here, I think. I’ve bought an Alpine car hifi CD head unit several months ago and I’m buying a hifi CD player. I play guitar. I don’t sing.

Neoscan

Sep 16, 2020
Visit site
Top 3, mm, that's very tricky...

1. Gemma Hayes - Night on My Side
2. The Weather Station - Loyalty
3. U2 - Achtung Baby (I know, I know...)

Gummibando

Sep 30, 2020
Visit site
While favourites rotate quite a bit, there are indeed some albums I always come back to regularly.

1. Anywhen – The Opiates
2. Depeche Mode – Violator
3. Lambchop – Is a Woman

Eclectic music lover, mostly contemporary jazz trios (Neil Cowley Trio, Gogo Penguin et al.) at the moment.

While German (JA!), used British Hi-Fi gear (formerly: Rotel, Cambridge, Mission, Tannoy; currently Rega, Musical Fidelity, Naim, Chord Chompany) my entire adult life.
Only current outlier: Dynaudio speakers :)

tinaag

Oct 5, 2020
Visit site
Hi Techie ppl!

I ended up here after I searched thru the headphone AKG Y600NC. I needed a bluetooth headpiece that I can use on my QLed 4k Samsung. I have a Level U but it's broken, so it needs to be replaced soon. I bought the Y600NC thru a latin website and waiting to get here. I can't wait to test it. I hope it helps me get much more involved on mt tv shows and movies without being disturbed by noisy neighbors.
Thanks for having me.

Oct 13, 2020
Visit site
Hello everyone,

New here, and relatively new into hi fi as well. I've just registered, and came here to ask for some purchasing tips wrt upgrades for my set up. I suppose I will post a new thread for that?

First up though, my introduction. I currently own some Wharfedale and Rega step-in gear and am currently looking to buy a new amp to complement my turntable and speakers, before upgrading my speakers.

Music taste is eclectic, ranging from deeper bass music, to punkrock, and soul, disco and (contemporary) jazz.

To reflect that a little bit, my island albums (were I to get stranded somewhere tomorrow) would be, in no particular order:

Mala in Cuba // Mala

Wisdom of Elders // Shabaka and The Ancestors

Bad Brains // Bad Brains.

Thanks for having me!

JoeFair1977

Dec 5, 2020
Visit site
Good evening, y'all. My name is Joe, and I'm from southern Indiana. Just built my first Atmos home theatre setup, and while mistakes were made, it was a learning experience. I've got a Pioneer SC-LX701 driving cheapie Polk speakers all the way around, and will be updating those soon. Just snagged a 75" Sony X750H on a BF deal for under $900. Updates on the audio side look to include Emotiva Airmotiv speakers, updated as funds allow, and then ultimately, will wait to build a theatre room until we build a house in the next couple years.

Fave movies:
Top Gun
Days of Thunder
Back to the Future series
Lethal Weapon series

Fave music:
Nightwish
Epica
'80s hairbands

Coauctor

Jan 1, 2021
coauctor.com
Heyo all! Glad to find this community. :)

I'm Bohdan, I live in Estonia. Making games for a living (started with composing music, ended up in production), immersing myself into the Hi-Fi world. It's time for me to build my first setup!

It was really a great to find out that one can listen to music in a much more enriched way.
My top-3 albums would be:
  1. The Glowing Man by Swans
  2. Noctourniquet by Mars Volta
  3. Lateralus by Tool
Cheers!

tonybee

Jan 15, 2021
Visit site
Hi all,
Tony here, been nuts since I bought my first Systemdek II and Nytech CTA252. Now running my '86 LP12 with Ittok and Meridian G98 into Meridian G65, 558 and Dali and REL speakers. With over 50 years worth of vinyl and still buying I would like to choose (right now anyway)

1. Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow
2. AD/DC - Powerage
3. Richard Thompson - Acoustic Classics

They'll be different next time,
Tony

Shafquat

Feb 12, 2021
Visit site
Hi this is Shafquat from Dhaka, Bangladesh.
I am a music lover and audio Enthusiast. Music is my passion and with critical listening Off-course. I'm glad to be here to learn this and sharing knowledge from the honourable members here.

dme

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
Hi everyone, thanks to this pandemic I have had time to clean out a closet with 40+ years of crap and other interesting stuff. Two of the good things I found where my 40 year old turntable and 5 boxes of vinyl. Couldn't wait to hear some analog sounds! Unfortunately the TT does not work properly so I'm trying to fix it. Looking forward to getting back to the past.
Pink Floyd-Wish you were here
Gary Moore-Still got the blues
Stevie Ray Vaughn-Couldn't stand the weather
Probably be different by next week.
Dave

walterandbruges

Mar 3, 2021
Visit site
Newby here, so only my first post...
Top 3:
1. The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
2. Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Ambient Works 85-92
3. Anything by Sufjan Stevens (yes, even Enjoy Your Rabbit)

My systems, FYI:
Arcam Solo Music (original 2005 version) plus Kef Subwoofer plus Tannoy DC1 standmounts (lounge)
Cambridge Audio AXR85 plus Rega Planar 1 (mid-2000 model) plus Monitor Audio Bronze 2 standmounts (lounge)
Kenwood KT-5300 Tuner plus Kenwood KA-5700 Amp (1970s) plus Cambridge Audio S30 standmounts (dining room)
Onkyo R-1045DAB and C-1045 mini-system plus Mordaunt-Short Carnival 1 standmounts (bedroom)
Sony TA-1010 Amp (1970s) plus Pioneer DV-355 (as a CD player) plus Mordaunt-Short Carnival 1 standmounts (studio)
Pioneer receiver SX-535 (1970s) plus Celestion 5 standmounts (studio)

Waiting on Tannoy xt6f floorstands to replace DC1s (not that there is anything wrong with them, but I'm slowly upgrading)

AndyS

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
Hi all,
I've just joined the forum. My name is AndyS and I'm a classic rock, blues, blues/rock, bluegrass and classical music fan :) I've just taken delivery and set up Cambridge Azur 851A amp, Azur 851N network player and Wharfedale EVO 4.3 floorstanding speakers and its FABULOUS.
My 3 desert Island choices would be these (hard to do just 3 ) :-

1. Eric Clapton, Unplugged.
2. Beth Hart & Joe Bonamassa, Don't Explain.
3. Beethoven Violin Concerto.

If you ask me next week I would quite probably come up with 3 different :)

Oxfordian

Well hello, Oxfordian here, a nearly 60 something finally getting chance to listen to music after being the chief finance officer for the bank of mum and dad to get his two kids to buy their own properties.

Its been around 20 years since I was last into HIFi and oh boy has the world turned in those missing years, going to have to spend a lot of time getting to understand the latest terminology.

A fan of, Fleetwood Mac, Eric Clapton and just about anyone making some good music.

Please be patient with me if you see me on a forum making a prat of myself, it has been a long time.

Look forward to interacting with everyone and extracting knowledge out of you.

Kind regards,

Oxfordian

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts