Weird one: Should I downgrade my TV? :)

Mustey

May 19, 2021
Visit site
So, my partner surprised me today with an early birthday gift... A freaking Samsung Q950TS !
Yes, we really needed a new TV but - wow!

Problem is, she overpaid by quite a bit. So, we will be returning this one (unopened) and will re-buy, anyway...

Now, the trick is: I don't really watch TV... We are not subscribed to any live TV and we usually dislike all the new stuff coming out.
We did watch a lot of movies but, actually, we kinda watched all the good stuff...
And, actually, I want to improve my life by consuming less passive entertainment and go out or study or date my partner.

So, I am thinking once we re-buy, we just buy something a little cheaper?
Also, not sure 75" is for us. We live in a pretty small townhouse.

I am thinking LG OLED65G1?

Problem is, while it's highly recommended, how are these two TV's compared to each other? Is it possible that the Q950TS is just a whole different class and we'd have a much worse TV by going with the OLED65G1 and saving £500?

I am starting to believe the hype about 8K-upscaling and it supposedly has better sound... But maybe OLED is so much better, that the LG could actually have the better picture?
Also, reading comments by buyers, saying the 75" screens aren't all that well made and have DSE, Vignette, light leaking out of the edges...

Nice to have a "good" problem, for once!

Last edited:
You're overthinking, especially when you're not watching much TV. I went for the biggest TV I could afford and accommodate (75 inches Sony) and I'm happy with it. The LG OLED is a brilliant TV and you won't be disappointed.

8K feature is useless because there is no 8K content out there currently. "Upscaling" simply means that the TV employs an algorithm to duplicate 4K pixels 4 times to fill up all the pixels of an 8K screen. It doesn't improve picture quality (although it can have a placebo effect for people to think it's somehow better). HD (1080p) content will look worse on 8K compared to 4K.

jjbomber

So, my partner surprised me today with an early birthday gift... A freaking Samsung Q950TS !
Yes, we really needed a new TV but - wow!

Problem is, she overpaid by quite a bit. So, we will be returning this one (unopened) and will re-buy, anyway...

Now, the trick is: I don't really watch TV... We are not subscribed to any live TV and we usually dislike all the new stuff coming out.
We did watch a lot of movies but, actually, we kinda watched all the good stuff...
And, actually, I want to improve my life by consuming less passive entertainment and go out or study or date my partner.

So, I am thinking once we re-buy, we just buy something a little cheaper?
Also, not sure 75" is for us. We live in a pretty small townhouse.

I am thinking LG OLED65G1?

Problem is ...

Nice to have a "good" problem, for once!
Her next boyfriend will appreciate her generosity a bit more! Enjoy skating on thin ice while you can!

Reactions: Tinman1952

Mustey

May 19, 2021
Visit site
You sure they can't work out some magic with 8K upscaling? I have some experience with taking paintings that I have, in small resolution, and using AI to enhance them so much that they can be printed on a wall and look like they were very high resolution to start with!
Also, I got DLSS on my gaming computer and that works really well, too...

Yeah, I totally feel like a douche for playing around with a gift. I don't think she'll mind to re-buy the same TV and get 500 quid back in her pocket... On the other hand, I know exactly how much she spent and if the goal was to make me happy, that's just a waste of her money.
It's not like she's rich and can just carry on. This is a 1/10 years purchase!

I really wanted some noise-cancelling headphones or a 1440 gaming monitor... She could have got me both and it would still come out cheaper and I'd be through the roof...
In my defense, the gifts I buy her are always very successful and nowhere near cheap, either!

D

Deleted member 2457

You sure they can't work out some magic with 8K upscaling? I have some experience with taking paintings that I have, in small resolution, and using AI to enhance them so much that they can be printed on a wall and look like they were very high resolution to start with!
Also, I got DLSS on my gaming computer and that works really well, too...

Yeah, I totally feel like a douche for playing around with a gift. I don't think she'll mind to re-buy the same TV and get 500 quid back in her pocket... On the other hand, I know exactly how much she spent and if the goal was to make me happy, that's just a waste of her money.
It's not like she's rich and can just carry on. This is a 1/10 years purchase!

I really wanted some noise-cancelling headphones or a 1440 gaming monitor... She could have got me both and it would still come out cheaper and I'd be through the roof...
In my defense, the gifts I buy her are always very successful and nowhere near cheap, either!
Keep it and be happy mate, I have gone through what you have! I got the Samsung 75Q950TS and it’s brilliant, but I had second thoughts to and swapped to my dad‘s LG 65C9 OLED but I soon swapped back to the Samsung and don’t regret it for one second. It’s fantastic 4K is amazing 8K is amazing you have so many Apps sound is great and it really is bigger the better. Colours are brilliant really wow stuff black levels are nearly as good as the OLED it really is close. No screen burn either and no dse on mine. It’s perfect I use intelligent mode for picture. The best setting.

You sure they can't work out some magic with 8K upscaling?
TVs cannot invent new details which weren't present in the original picture. Check this (scroll down to 4k Upscaled to 8k vs Native 4k):

Mustey

May 19, 2021
Visit site
ah, would be much nicer to have that discussion over a pint, as I don't agree but, here it kinda appears like I am being an argumentative dweeb :)
I've implemented some interpolation algorithms before - I know the software just pulls detail out of it's a** but sometimes the "invented" detail can be equally compelling.

Like that painting I told you about... There was this one black pixel, which when it upscaled, the AI decided to draw it as a sort of like triangle, as if viewed using fish-eye lens, there was a bit of pattern to the fill of the shape - and funnily enough, it felt "in the style" of the painting.

I get your points - it's all tricks - but they don't look like cheap tricks anymore!

I think I'll give the TV a chance this weekend - damn, I never ask for help when I DIY but I don't see a way out of this one alone... Better get accident insurance on it too!

D

Deleted member 2457

ah, would be much nicer to have that discussion over a pint, as I don't agree but, here it kinda appears like I am being an argumentative dweeb :)
I've implemented some interpolation algorithms before - I know the software just pulls detail out of it's a** but sometimes the "invented" detail can be equally compelling.

Like that painting I told you about... There was this one black pixel, which when it upscaled, the AI decided to draw it as a sort of like triangle, as if viewed using fish-eye lens, there was a bit of pattern to the fill of the shape - and funnily enough, it felt "in the style" of the painting.

I get your points - it's all tricks - but they don't look like cheap tricks anymore!

I think I'll give the TV a chance this weekend - damn, I never ask for help when I DIY but I don't see a way out of this one alone... Better get accident insurance on it too!
Now out of stock at a lot of places. The 85-inch was reduced to £4999 at Samsung and RGB Direct and at RGB it had a free soundbar too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts