We are our own worst enemy.

Think Steve has it wrong. Distortion isn't the worst enemy with hi-fis... we are.

None of us are totally satisfied - include myself - with our bundles. We want ease of use, better sound quality, speakers that blend into the roomscape... then the turntable belt needs upgrading, while others demand a multiroom set-up costing tuppence. Then there's the "must be good because it's won awards, so I won't bother to dem (a new system) and just blame the review methods of the magazines for giving me a b*m steer" brigade...

Are our expectations too high for our wallets? Quite possibly.

Above all else we need to take more responsibility for our own decisions (good or bad).

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Speak for yourself PP, I have not changed my system for a few years now and its excellent. Don't put me into the same catargory as you box changers...............

Sospri said:
Speak for yourself PP, I have not changed my system for a few years now and its excellent. Don't put me into the same catargory as you box changers...............

To be fair though, I've only upgraded to bring the rest in line with amp and not because I'm unhappy with it, apart from lashings of distortion, takes up too much room, the cat messes on the TT cover, passive and not active, because it isn't a Rega.... :grin:

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I've spent a lot of money over the past 5 years, but I think (and I hope) that I am now finished! :cheer:

The only thing I plan on buying is an Xbox One later in the year.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Think Steve has it wrong. Distortion isn't the worst enemy with hi-fis... we are.

None of us are totally satisfied - include myself - with our bundles. We want ease of use, better sound quality, speakers that blend into the roomscape... then the turntable belt needs upgrading, while others demand a multiroom set-up costing tuppence. Then there's the "must be good because it's won awards, so I won't bother to dem (a new system) and just blame the review methods of the magazines for giving me a b*m steer" brigade...

Are our expectations too high for our wallets? Quite possibly.

Above all else we need to take more responsibility for our own decisions (good or bad).

Speak for yourself, I disagree that none are totally satisfied, I agree some people are never happy with what they have.

I think forums are probably a bad idea for hifi as you think about it rather than getting on with listening and enjoying the music.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
John Duncan said:
I think there is something wrong with mine as it is passive and doesn't have any distortion. Maybe I should get a record player?

Or an echo chamber. you could go live in it.

EDITED for spelling.

Addendum - I'm happy, though may get sorted with some kind of remote at some point. But I'm happy sound-wise. Still, always nice to see moire pontificating about the pontification. All very meta. Moffat et al would be proud.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
What is interesting is that, despite the posts above, there are many, many posts on here (and elsewhere) from people who have bought systems with which they are, often deeply, dissatisfied.

There are even more posts from people who are afraid to choose a component or system without serious 'product validation' from the magazine reviews and the online community. This is a minefield for those without a basic understanding of how things work as they are often unable to sift fact from opinion and a realistic appreciation of what the equipment is capable of from the marketing hype.

A hi-fi system is an enthusiasts endeavour, but a very simple one if approached correctly.

If you are a 'music enthusiast' and have no interest in the hardware then the buying process is simple. Talk to a few dealers in your area, pick the one that appears most interested and competent. Listen to a few options in and around you budget and have the dealer bring round and set up the one you like best. At this point do not let him leave until you are happy with the results and are totally comfortable with the operational aspects.

Or

If you want to choose and assemble your own system, take the time and trouble to find out a bit about how things work and listen to as many combinations as you can. You will only have yourself to blame if the results are not what you expect, so take the time to get it right. This applies to the system matching and setup as well as simply choosing the components. Easy enough for those of us who have been around the hi-fi block a few times but not so for the inexperienced.

Either approach will get you where you want to be, just choose the most appropriate for you.

chrisup

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have my Nytech 252 Receiver, Rega Planar 3 amd my Moraunt Short Pageant 2 and I bought them from Grahams when they were in their original premises near Islington. I have had my HiFi for 35 years and am still delighted today as when I bought them. I also still have my parents's origanal Rotel, Garrard 86SB and Rank Domus speakers which are 40+ years and still work fine I am so glad I persauded them to get rid of the radiogram and i read Hi Fi Answers in those days.

Do you think they are runin yet? :rofl:

Best wishes

Chris

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
professorhat said:
I'm totally satisfied with my system and have been for a while now.

+1

Totally happy here too (unless I happen to find a wallet containing a couple of grand).

In which case, your hapiness will be increased by being able to bask(?) in th ewarm glow of having handed it in, which will make the music sound all the better. Maaaaaaaan...

matthewpiano

I certainly think I have been my own worst enemy at times, although I actually couldn't be happier with my system as it stands now.

I've just started reading a fascinating book called 'Perfecting Sound Forever', by Greg Milner. It examines the history and development of recorded music from the very early days and already it is posing some interesting questions in relation to the thoughts and ideologies of Edison and others.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Well I was happy until I rather foolishly burnt out my Squeezebox Touch on Saturday when testing my external HDD PSU that I thought was faulty. Never even gave it any thought when swapping PSU's around that there were different voltages involved.
smiley-embarassed.gif

Totally gutted.

Goat

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
A lot comes down to personality too. I have always been rather picky and particular, over analysing, with all sorts of things in life. Perhaps even having a slight tendancy to focusing on the negative too much. While there can be some advantages to all that, it does lead to never feeling satisfied and questioning things. I envy those more easily satisfied.

matthewpiano

Goat said:
A lot comes down to personality too. I have always been rather picky and particular, over analysing, with all sorts of things in life. Perhaps even having a slight tendancy to focusing on the negative too much. While there can be some advantages to all that, it does lead to never feeling satisfied and questioning things. I envy those more easily satisfied.

I can completely identify with that.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Yep, happy with my setup too.

I was reading today though about a Simaudio Power Supply which is to be released with a price tag of $8k and thought what is the point?

If you spent that much on that type of kit, there's something inside that has to convince you that it works.

Somebody will buy the product, but how can you warrant it?

TRENDING THREADS