Avantgarde Zero1 Pro: my new benchmark!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
Which is not 'digital' amplification, like the Opalum system Oldric introduced here on the forum. Opalum, Lyngdorf, NAD-DD, ... use a PCM to PWM converter (i.e. digital to digital), with the signal in the digital domain in the whole amplification stage, until it is turned to analog through a filter (not a DAC) just before the drivers.

In that aspect, the Zero1 is closer to the BeoLabs than to complete digital systems, like AudioVector Discreet.

the fact that speakers use analog or digital amplification is of little relevance IMO. Hypex and Devialet show what can be achieved with analog amps very well. there's no difference in performance terms between them and Lyngdorf or NAD (Direct Digital). what really matters is the use of DSP engine to fine tune speakers' performance. so that's why I'd throw Opalum along with B&O, Avantgarde, KSD or B&M. there's of course Meridian too but I don't know if they use analog or digital amps.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
Superaintit said:
Just tell your wife she can have as many shoes/clothing etc with the same budget of your speakers and I'm sure no one will complain :shifty:

Not sure my wife will be prepared to restrict her expenses for vital supplies like shoes and purses to the budget of my audio lunacy. :pray:

such first world problems, ehhhhh.... :doh:

:rofl:

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
well, just imagine how Zeppelin would sound like if it sported drives of the size that are used in the Beo9 and the drivers were widely spaced... or conversely, do you think any such sytem Zeppelin-like has any right to sound good? I think if it wasn't for the DSP such sytems would never happened because nobody would pay money for nothing more than a "modern sculpture". if you do look for a sculpture you sertainly wouldn't look for it in an electronics store, would you? ;)

I see your point on DSP engine and I am with you on that.

I am comparing the Zeppein Air to Beoplay A9. Both are one box all-in-one units and possibly have DSP engines. Though IMO, the key differentiator is that the Beolab A9 has an 8 inch powered subwoofer which is making alot of difference! And this again brings back to the basic physics where a larger driver generally delivers better and if you make it active it improves alot and a DSP engine may be takes the performance even further.

Beoplay A9 makes the perfect lounge airplay music set up and that too with out any major compromises.

The Beolab 9 speakers have a 10" bass driver each with 500Wdedicated power amp attached to each, which means no subwoofer needed. Now-a-days, I am looking for simpler set ups and avoiding sub woofers. I can imagine that if there is DSP version of the Beolab 9, then the choosing would be simpler!

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
This is the future of HiFi. Separates will not exist in 15 years of time.

It will be Stream to Active speakers with built in Dac and Amps. The sound, better than ever!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts