WD TV Live Hub Cables

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just purchsed a WD TV Live Hub, which so far I am very impressed with. But one of the reasons I purchased it was so that I could take my kids movies with me when we travel. Most hotels dont have HDMI, so to make sure I was covered I was thinking about buying another cable (coponent and composite). Is there a cable that has both composite and component cables in one ? I know my xbox cable does, but it has a proprietry connection on the xbox end.

Also a travel case would be good, I see on the WD site they have a pretty good one for the TV LIVE but I dont think it will fit the live hub.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Juzzie Wuzzie

I wouldn't spend too much to start with, as I've found that a number of hotels make "bringing your own movies" almost impossible - by either blocking off the inputs or not allowing you to select that input. I was fully expecting to run my iPad through hotel televisions, and have failed miserably. Just a word of warning.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
EvertonMonkey said:
Is there a cable that has both composite and component cables in one ? I know my xbox cable does, but it has a proprietry connection on the xbox end.

/sites/whathifi.com/files/images/blogs/WDTV_LiveHub_rear.jpg

Given that the Live Hub has conventional phono sockets for both component and composite, you can buy a standard three-plugs-to-three-plugs component video lead, and when you need to hook up using composite, use just one of the three 'legs' of the cable.

But do bear in mind that if you're going to connect up with component or composite, you'll also need a stereo audio interconnect.

BTW, point taken from the post above about hotel connectivity: was impressed in a hotel where I stayed over the weekend to find a wooden flap marked '@' on the wall behind the desk, behind which were line audio, HDMI, composite, component, S-video and VGA sockets to hook up almost anything to the wall-mounted TV.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
EvertonMonkey said:
Is there a cable that has both composite and component cables in one ? I know my xbox cable does, but it has a proprietry connection on the xbox end.

/sites/whathifi.com/files/images/blogs/WDTV_LiveHub_rear.jpg

Given that the Live Hub has conventional phono sockets for both component and composite, you can buy a standard three-plugs-to-three-plugs component video lead, and when you need to hook up using composite, use just one of the three 'legs' of the cable.

But do bear in mind that if you're going to connect up with component or composite, you'll also need a stereo audio interconnect.

BTW, point taken from the post above about hotel connectivity: was impressed in a hotel where I stayed over the weekend to find a wooden flap marked '@' on the wall behind the desk, behind which were line audio, HDMI, composite, component, S-video and VGA sockets to hook up almost anything to the wall-mounted TV.

Thanks guys.

Andrew when you say "use just one of the three 'legs' of the cable" do you mean just have one (red, white or yellow) into either red,green,blue sockets for component ?

As for composite, I wouldnt need a stereo audio internconnect as thats what red and white are for right ? so this would just be if I was using component input ?

Out of interest what hotel did you stay in ? :)

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Have you thought of a pocket projector? I've no idea if they're any good or not as I haven't got round to trying one, but it would guarantee you'd be able to get a picture.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
EvertonMonkey said:
Andrew when you say "use just one of the three 'legs' of the cable" do you mean just have one (red, white or yellow) into either red,green,blue sockets for component ?

No: for composite just use one of the three cables making up a component cable – red, green,blue – from the yellow composite out on the WD to the yellow composite in on the TV.

EvertonMonkey said:
As for composite, I wouldnt need a stereo audio internconnect as thats what red and white are for right ? so this would just be if I was using component input ?

Yes, if you run in composite, and you have a three-to-three component cable, you can use the other two connectors to carry stereo audio. But if you want to run in component, you'll need an additional stereo audio cable, And of course until you arrive at the hotel you wan't know what connections are available, so the travel kit should include HDMI, component and stereo audio cables.

EvertonMonkey said:

This one.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
EvertonMonkey said:

No: for composite just use one of the three cables making up a component cable – red, green,blue – from the yellow composite out on the WD to the yellow composite in on the TV.

EvertonMonkey said:

Yes, if you run in composite, and you have a three-to-three component cable, you can use the other two connectors to carry stereo audio. But if you want to run in component, you'll need an additional stereo audio cable, And of course until you arrive at the hotel you wan't know what connections are available, so the travel kit should include HDMI, component and stereo audio cables.

EvertonMonkey said:

This one.

Thats what I thought (although maybe didnt convey it correctly ;) ), thanks for clarifying.

Hotel looks nice too :)

A

Anonymous

Lee H said:
Have you thought of a pocket projector? I've no idea if they're any good or not as I haven't got round to trying one, but it would guarantee you'd be able to get a picture.

Pocket projector sounds good, but I am sure they are a little expensive and not sure what the quality is like ?

Also would I need separate speakers ?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Lee H said:

Agreed, but not sure the OP will want to spend all of his time in a hotel room with his kids gawping into one of his pockets.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
Lee H said:

Agreed, but not sure the OP will want to spend all of his time in a hotel room with his kids gawping into one of his pockets.

Ha ha my pockets are usually empty because of my kids anyway :D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts