Warm sounding cans for around £200

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
My choice would be the Bose QuietComfort 15 which can be got here for £223 (from Currys/Comet with a code): http://www.dontbuy4more.co.uk/prices/bose-quietcomfort-15-acoustic-noise--17425.php?ad_id=16180990327&kw=QuietComfort%2015&src="17425&dfad=57&gclid=CJfRr_Ku568CFaImtAodQ1Bv1w"

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I know the QC15's get rave reviews everywhere but I would only recommend them if you absolutely must have the active noise cancelling, for sheer audio quality they are outgunned at this price. Dale's L1 recommendation seems like the safest bet, although it's worth noting that it's open (although it does isolate well for an open headphone). The AKG K550 should probably get a mention as well. For a little bit less the Denon AH-D2000 is being discontinued but is still a great headphone and can be picked up at some HMV stores for £200 instead of £300. It's closed but isolation isn't super considering, a bit on the large/heavy side but superbly comfy and certainly is on the warm side.

Oh and it's not warm but I feel I should mention the VModa M-80. It's rather neutral but with really nice bass. It's certainly a great recommend to be everything that the Grado SR80 is not. Its very well controlled on the higher frequencies, smaller, better styling, much better build... in pretty much every aspect VModa kicks A** but especially sound!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
quadpatch said:
I know the QC15's get rave reviews everywhere but I would only recommend them if you absolutely must have the active noise cancelling, for sheer audio quality they are outgunned at this price. Dale's L1 recommendation seems like the safest bet, although it's worth noting that it's open (although it does isolate well for an open headphone). The AKG K550 should probably get a mention as well. For a little bit less the Denon AH-D2000 is being discontinued but is still a great headphone and can be picked up at some HMV stores for £200 instead of £300. It's closed but isolation isn't super considering, a bit on the large/heavy side but superbly comfy and certainly is on the warm side.

Oh and it's not warm but I feel I should mention the VModa M-80. It's rather neutral but with really nice bass. It's certainly a great recommend to be everything that the Grado SR80 is not. Its very well controlled on the higher frequencies, smaller, better styling, much better build... in pretty much every aspect VModa kicks A** but especially sound!

You may well be right as I'm no headphone aficionado. All I know, was that they were comfortable, enjoyable, and I could listen to them for an hour or two, without fatigue.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I second most everything quadpatch said, except that I would add that while the vmoda is much better than the bose, the Philips L1 is well above the vmoda in sound quality, also price. Well worth the extra money.

jimm said:
My grados sr80i sound good just a little to bright, is there any cans out there that will be a good upgrade and give me a nice warm sound?

I used to have to SR60i and couldn't get on with them. Although technically very good, they grated and found them too shrill for my ears. I personally love Sennheiser: They are a little warmer and smoother or more "ear friendly".

A

Anonymous

I use Sennheiser hd 650 with a Musical Fidelity V-Can 1. They sound amazing and are very warm sounding.

I know they might seem a bit outside of your budget but i got mine for £180 from a very reputable online retailer. If i were you i'd hold tight and wait to ind a great deal on the hd650's

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
IMO going from a pair of Grado's to a pair of Sennheiser's is a massive jump from bright to dark sounding. The HD-650's are as dull as dishwater with no life or sparkle, I have no idea why people rate them so highly they are boooorring. The previous recommendations such as the Phillips would be worth checking out you might also want to try a pair of Beyer DT-880's, they are nice headphone with a relatively crisp treble and a touch of warmth.

idc

jimm said:
My grados sr80i sound good just a little to bright, is there any cans out there that will be a good upgrade and give me a nice warm sound?

The complete opposite to the Grados are the AKG K271 Mk11, closed backed, around ear, no leak, detailed and very clear sound. They may sound a bit bassless at first, but listen for the detail rather than impact and you will get the fidelity over the dynamics. Both work brilliantly of the little X-Can.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I just heard some Audio Technica M-50's and they sounded brilliant, I can totally see the hype about them now. I think I want some! They come well under the budget too. Also well isolated and good for bass, forward mids and nice detail!

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
If you want to hear the ultimate you have to hear the Philips L1 *with* bass reduction. With bass reduction ON it's the best bass headphone I've ever heard.

A few years ago a radio station in San Diego used to play a clip about a metal-head who would never tune into their station because we was locked into something with blinders on and couldn't even see their position on the radio dial, mere inches away. The ad went on to say that "He might as well be a billion light years away." That's the response I've gotten to my L1 suggestion from several "expert" reviewers. They don't even want to try.

TRENDING THREADS