Warm-Smooth bookshelf speaker

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Cycleman said:
B&w 685 s2 have 580e.the manual says that wants 120w max but i real life they want 200 for solid clear sound. The tweeter amazing roll off with the power and the drum very good tight image. With bryston or krell they are good choice.

My bad electra have the bookshelf and the floorstand. I was saying about bookshelf with the 6.5inch mid bass. Yes they have metal tweeter also but for some reason are involving and warm..... The b&w are from the top ten hard-cold-clinical speakers in the world. Also i play them into 7mx7m room and the room was full off music. Id the site also writes that id for minimum 20m2 and max 30m2.

I can't take demo the electra to my place......

Which amp. are you using for the Electras? Not sure which B&Ws you are talking about when you say top ten cold.... Maybe you are too used to cheap B&Ws which canbe warm, also NAD are not exactly neutral. Anyway I would do a shoot out with Harbeth and Electra/Aria 906. Do they have a smaller demo room?

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Cycleman said:
Mark a big thanx mate for your answer.

I had listened b&w rotel.

Well i am not trying to find the paradise. Just the speakers that does fit to my room and also to my taste.

Your room is like mine 4.5x3.7 but i have space enough. I can put the speaker 1. 5m from the front wall.

Well pmc is good speaker but it doesn't have earthier voices. Maybe is that you saying about amp. I listen them with bryston. Was cold and clinical. Speed very good as you say. I don't know if with another amp it will be like i want. For example luxman.

Electra bookshelf in demo listening had 2-3meters distance from the front wall.. i imagine it in my room. Maybe it will be a Chaos.

As i told you before i don't know for sure if the electra bookshelf does fit to my 16m2 room. The company says from 20m2 to 30m2....so maybe i must trust it.

On the other hand harbeth is near field speaker... I like it but for a differrent reason. And you can put it anywhere.... Its easy to set up.

Focal aria 906 i don't think so that is competitive with 2000e speakers.

Let me know if anyone knows something similar with focal speakers. As you say mark.... There isn't perfect speaker. So harbeth is a solution that i think i can live with it.

Finally dali menuet, rubicon 2 is good enough but for sure doesn't have better spaeakers unit from harbeth's.

My Electra 1008Be’s are only half a meter into the room and sound fabulous.

Cycleman

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
thanx to all guys.i really appriciate it.

well the truth is that i don't have experience.

i go again to listen electra.we do this time 2m triangle.i disappointed a lot.so i delete electra from the list.

as a guy say before the harbeth lacks a lot on bass..and that's true....so i am not sure for harbeth.i never listen spendor with naim but with explosure.the result was not so clear.

the amps that i listen electra was luxman,vtl,conrald johnson,cary.

infinitel which amp do you have?

i also listen denon with dali menuet...and i say something happens here.was amazing.with dac denon da 300 i think...but fellas when we listen with technics mkII i was with the mouth open.

i realise that is very very important the source.also with dali and denon each intrument had their own dynamics.the guy told me that menuet isn't like zensor....and in japan they put it with very very expensive amps.he notice me also to choose an amp qith very good dc (and not the watts).

finally he told me first to change amp...to see what happen and after to change speaker.i am thinking to give 2nd chance to b&w.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Well you seem pretty mixed up, I would not buy anything at the moment, I think you need far more time to consider what is best. I don't agree about buying a new amp. I would take what dealers say with a large pinch of salt. What's the used market like in your country?

insider9

BigH said:
Well you seem pretty mixed up, I would not buy anything at the moment, I think you need far more time to consider what is best. I don't agree about buying a new amp. I would take what dealers say with a large pinch of salt. What's the used market like in your country?
That would be the direction I'd also suggest.

OP, making too big jumps in sound quality is not easy. You will likely not appreciate the better quality gear as your ears are simply not used to this level. Your brain won't pick out the more nuanced differences. More so you might actually have a certain belief what sound you're looking for and it may not be what you will like in the long term. Let it be a slow process and enjoy music as you learn.

Second hand route is the best way to go. I've gone through many components in the last 18 months and know more about what I enjoy than I did a year ago. Interestingly enough they're not the same things.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Wow !

The OP thinks Dali speakers are just for film use only Dali make some fantastic speakers and a lot of them are really good with music and films and when you start looking at the Dali opticon , Dali rubicon , Dali epicon they are not beginners speakers by a long shot .

even budget Dali speakers sound pretty good for the money your better off buying a better amplifier and what ever speakers at the same time to make sure it’s a perfect match for your taste and I also recommend that you have a home demo with what you finally choose to make sure your happy with your purchase .

Cycleman

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
I didn't mixed up. Just telling you guys what i think.

I am also looking for amp. Well be honest i am thinking 1st to go to an amp..... To see what happen there and after to go with dali menuet or rubicon. My friend says that menuet is like coaxial speakers cause the speaker units are so close and rubicon isn't like that... But they are from the same materials. Also told me that is made in denmark... Zensor not.

So i think denon is a good choice for b&w and after i had the oppurtunity to take menuet or rubicon.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
If you go Dali menuet they are £800 in the uk and the rubicon 2 are £1600 and both are 4ohm speakers

not heard what ever Denon your on about with Dali speakers so can not comment on that but if your thinking about the rubicon 2 you will need a good amplifier to get the very best out of them but you will spend what you have as a budget on just the speakers and your need that amount of money again for a good amplifier .

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Which Denon amp. are you talking about?

Now you could say Denon are for begineers, it's not a brand that springs to mind when considering hifi amps.

How about Marantz?

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
I'm sure the dryness or lack of harmonics was actually a low noise floor or lack of distortion. Give it time

I dont understand your opinion! Harmonic is not the result of distortion at all. Remove harmonics and you cant tell a flute from a saxophone. Dryness = harmonic distortion!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I think you should change the speakers. Getting that Denon amp for budget speakers seems a waste of money, then you will be stuck trying to match speakers to it. Anyway it's your money.

Cycleman

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
Bigh thanx again.

Menuet is a budget speaker but it's hard to drive them. If you see in Japan they put them with very good amps to take the magic.

Finally and unfortunately i didn'tike any other speaker. Dali is the best for me.

I had listen elac, kef, atc, spendor, sonus faber, chario, proac, pmc, b&w, focal, heil, audio physic, harbeth,klipsch, monitor audio, triangle etc.

rainsoothe

Cycleman said:
Bigh thanx again.

Menuet is a budget speaker but it's hard to drive them. If you see in Japan they put them with very good amps to take the magic.

Finally and unfortunately i didn'tike any other speaker. Dali is the best for me.

I had listen elac, kef, atc, spendor, sonus faber, chario, proac, pmc, b&w, focal, heil, audio physic, harbeth,klipsch, monitor audio, triangle etc.

maybe it's your amp you didn't like :)

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
Cycleman said:
Bigh thanx again. 

I had listen elac, kef, atc, spendor, sonus faber, chario, proac, pmc, b&w, focal, heil, audio physic, harbeth,klipsch, monitor audio, triangle  etc. 

maybe it's your amp you didn't like :)

Could be the case :)

Wady

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
Did the Op resolve this?

I worry about people reading the discussion and being mislead...

Most Speaker companys make 'Budget' and 'High end' speakers and amplifers for that matter.

As many people have said go and listen.. Even find a seller who may demo certain combinations in your own home and not a dedicated listening room in store.

A reasonable priced Hi-fi setup can sound better than an outlandish setup if its not the sound YOU want or expect.

Evryone is drawn to there own favorite brands but don't dismiss others.

Go with your ears and your heart... Not online reviews or spec sheets. I used to enjoy warm more bassy sounds and now feel im more neatral enjoying bass and treble with detail.

The Ops wording may come across snobbish and slightly offensive to some reading this who are on a 'budget'.

We are in a world were there are endless posibilites for music.. Soundbars, wireless speakers etc. Theyres something for everyone

Lastly.. Enjoy the music and the tinkering! MERRY CHRISTMAS

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Wady said:
Did the Op resolve this?

I worry about people reading the discussion and being mislead...

Most Speaker companys make 'Budget' and 'High end' speakers and amplifers for that matter.

As many people have said go and listen.. Even find a seller who may demo certain combinations in your own home and not a dedicated listening room in store.

A reasonable priced Hi-fi setup can sound better than an outlandish setup if its not the sound YOU want or expect.

Evryone is drawn to there own favorite brands but don't dismiss others.

Go with your ears and your heart... Not online reviews or spec sheets. I used to enjoy warm more bassy sounds and now feel im more neatral enjoying bass and treble with detail.

The Ops wording may come across snobbish and slightly offensive to some reading this who are on a 'budget'.

We are in a world were there are endless posibilites for music.. Soundbars, wireless speakers etc. Theyres something for everyone

Lastly.. Enjoy the music and the tinkering! MERRY CHRISTMAS
This seems to be the trend, if you not in the majority then you must be wrong. Everyone to their own.

Many buy what others like as suppose to buying what sounds best to them. It's all relative really.

Cycleman

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
Sorry Been away for a while.

Well dali gets out of my list and also electra.

Speaking with a friend notice me to not make a moove yet. He will suggest me with the next year some speakers to listen

Harbeth is the only that i like...maybe wirh naim. Very natural sound. My friend told me better to choose hegel cause donvt have the power. Also told that this speaker is not for me cause lacks in bass. He have some work to do this month... And we didn't speak a lot. So i am waiting for him.

Thanx to all. If somebody knows some good speaker that may be for my taste... I am here to know about it.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Acoustic Energy AE1 active?

A couple of folks here changed to those from some pretty serious systems.

Apparently warm, punchy and rythmic ... .

Muddywaterstones

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Placing the speakers closer to a radiator should make them warmer. If you can find #180 grit sandpaper it should make any speaker smoother. Finer grits will have better results, though beyond #500 any difference becomes negligible.

gasolin

rainsoothe said:
Wharfedale Jade 3 or 5, but they need powerful amplification - think north of 80-100 w/ch. They also need some space, as they're 40cm deep!!! But sealed cabinets, sound superb.

Jade 3 is to bright even when the bass is okay + 5 db from 3000-10000hz

https://www.stereophile.com/content/wharfedale-jade-3-loudspeaker-measurements

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Cycleman said:
Sorry Been away for a while.

Well dali gets out of my list and also electra.

Speaking with a friend notice me to not make a moove yet. He will suggest me with the next year some speakers to listen

Harbeth is the only that i like...maybe wirh naim. Very natural sound. My friend told me better to choose hegel cause donvt have the power. Also told that this speaker is not for me cause lacks in bass. He have some work to do this month... And we didn't speak a lot. So i am waiting for him.

Thanx to all. If somebody knows some good speaker that may be for my taste... I am here to know about it.

Which Harbeth speakers have you heard for yourself?

If you have access to ProAc, they would be worth listening to.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts