warm and bright amplifiers and the music taste

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

anonymous

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
anonymous said:
with dark do that mean the music is better for rock and tecno hip pop and these kinds?
"Better" is down to personal preference. Some people like the music to have "bite" and not have the edge taken off it. Others prefer a smoother more refined sound, so there is no "one size fits all", I'm afraid.

At one end of the scale you have Valve Amps like Jadis and Unison Research, which give a gloriously harmonious sound, with a warmer Bass. At the other, you have the likes of Chord and Bryston, which are very clean and neutral, with a vice-like grip on the Bass...and give a warts and all presentation.

Speaker wise, at one end you have Harbeth/Spendor Classic/Sonus Faber; at the other, Focal/Triangle/ATC.

thank you really much for the information!

i hear only today that name Bryston i never heard before here in scandinavia the are not lot of them they that i can buy are to expensive for me but hey hey good to know information is always good and other people my buy it *i-m_so_happy* i like also the form Harbeth is built

ps. is sad at least for me that Marantz are in the way to have dac built inside all their amplifier when i prefer a analog amps (i guess that is gone soon since they had not made analogue amps since 2015 and looks they dont plan to?) *crazy*

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Amplifiers are usually engineered with a flat or neutral response and warmth would imply an upper bass / lower mid hump, so you can't really have a well engineered warm amplifier. Perceived warmth is a speakers / room thing IMO.

Nigel Proctor said:
Amplifiers are usually engineered with a flat or neutral response and warmth would imply an upper bass / lower mid hump, so you can't really have a well engineered warm amplifier. Perceived warmth is a speakers / room thing IMO.

Which is what I was trying to say. Only the system as a whole should be considered before labelling it warm or bright etc.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
Nigel Proctor said:

Which is what I was trying to say. Only the system  as a whole should be considered before labelling it warm or bright etc.
It is an interesting topic, as ultimately, only speakers make a sound....but....I think it's a matter of perspective. The more amps I listen to, the more I can hear certain traits, no matter what speakers are connected.

I am no amp designer or engineer, but have a set of ears that are reasonably discerning. I think it is to do with things like distortion...in the case of Valves, harmonic distortion that is easier on the ear. Most Class D amps that I've heard are very clean sounding, though some can sound a little sterile, which can be somewhat mitigated with speaker matching.

The AB amps that I am drawn to, seem to have a greater bias in Class A. I don't like Naim, which I believe has a high proportion of Class B. Speed of Transient Response and high current delivery also seem to give music a more vibrant realism, that suits my taste.

So yes, it is true to say, that ultimately, a full system gives a certain sound...but to get the synergy right, it is my opinion that you need to understand the sonic characteristics of each component (as well as a basic understanding of the measurements)...as they individually have a big effect on the whole. It's the "Art" of system building that DDC rightly emphasises...and it's where knowledge, or a knowledgeable dealer is key.

anonymous

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Al ears said:
Nigel Proctor said:

Which is what I was trying to say. Only the system as a whole should be considered before labelling it warm or bright etc.
It is an interesting topic, as ultimately, only speakers make a sound....but....I think it's a matter of perspective. The more amps I listen to, the more I can hear certain traits, no matter what speakers are connected.

Maybe this topic it can be described like a zakuhachi flute, there is a d flute that sound more neutral and a f or g flute that makes it more warm and a c or a that it makes the sound more bright, (that it can be compare to the amps) in the same time the person can make the sound more fresh or refined (that would be like the signal say cd or vinyl) and if the surrounding is to cool or in the summer or morning or late night with wind or rain, and how your fingers, and mouth play the flute makes different characteristic sound, ( that would be the speaker in hifi context) and like there is different flutes like sakuhachi or native american flute etc ( there is different brands of amp that are made to sound in a particular way. ( just a thought and imagination of I.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts