Question Warm Amplifier Advice

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Time Sparrow

Apr 12, 2021
Visit site
The rotel amp is a 75 watt ampView attachment 2354
I read on Rotel's site it was 50w

Anyway what do you think of the amp?

Time Sparrow

Apr 12, 2021
Visit site
What do you mean by the measured wattage. Are Rotel putting out a figure that's lower than it actually is? Sorry I must miss reading something.

But thanks tempted to give it a demo.

manicm

Thanks for everyone's advise, I am shocked by the amount of responses and I am grateful.
Been doing some more listening and maybe bright wasn't the right term. It's just on some tracks cymbals and high hats seem slightly distorted and not crisp.
For want of a better work a bit "splashy". Defiantly track dependant.

I still urge you to try another CD player.

AJM1981

I've read bold claims that Harman Kardon in general is warmer than Denon. In reality I could seriously not make a difference between the first and the latter with all aides off. There were even claims that one reveiver would make brass instrument sound digital. Now I don't know what was broken in reference but anyway. Given receivers and amps I usually go for reviews on certain basic quality then plug and play capabilities follows since it should be a useful hub.

My current HK receiver is simply solid in sound control and useful in p&p and I think it would be difficult to find something better to replace it. I am convinced that whatever brand I would connect of a higher price range would not make any preferable difference in sound whatsoever.

I connect with the advice to upgrade the speakers.

Last edited:

Time Sparrow

Apr 12, 2021
Visit site
Think they may not be the speakers for me, they sounded impressive at first , but seem too harsh on less than perfect recordings. Going to switch back to my Monitor Audio Bronze 2s for a bit to compare.
Disappointed as only had the speakers for two months.

Thanks for everyone's advise, I am shocked by the amount of responses and I am grateful.
Been doing some more listening and maybe bright wasn't the right term. It's just on some tracks cymbals and high hats seem slightly distorted and not crisp.
For want of a better work a bit "splashy". Defiantly track dependant.

Splashy often means a mismatch between amp and speakers. Synergy is really everything, regardless of private or professional reviews. A well-matched 3 star system can be better than a 5 star set-up that doesn't quite chime.

as regards wattage of a amp, this hi-fi malarkey is strange. As I mentioned in my previous post, it isn't an exact science. Just because a amp has high power doesn't necessarily mean it can control a speaker. It boils down to how pure the current is and how that current is delivered.

Personally I would try a Rotel with the B&Ws if possible or revert back to the Monitor Audio Bronze. I heard the 352 with my old MA RS6s and it sounded impressive, which proves how important individual components interact with each other.

What you probably experienced was a "instant impact" in sound where it grabbed you immediately. I prefer a slow burning system, otherwise it could grate or become fatiguing over a period of weeks or months.

Time Sparrow

Apr 12, 2021
Visit site
What you make sense, didn't think buying speakers would be so hard. Think I've made a big mistake in this case. Think changing the amp would sort the problem out, as it did with my brief use of the Cambridge AXr100 and the Rotel A11 looks good, but after what happened with the 606 I don't know if I want to take the risk.

What you make sense, didn't think buying speakers would be so hard. Think I've made a big mistake in this case. Think changing the amp would sort the problem out, as it did with my brief use of the Cambridge AXr100 and the Rotel A11 looks good, but after what happened with the 606 I don't know if I want to take the risk.
You should be able to find a dealer who will let you return an item within a couple of weeks, or thirty days in some cases. Rotel and B&W were often paired because the speaker company imported Rotel for many years. (Since the recent changes of ownership I’m unsure what the present structure is).

It’s not the 11 Tribute model, but a 30 day trial and £150 discount isn’t to be sneezed at!

No, you haven't made a big mistake, just need to find the right speaker/amp combination -- that's happened to most of us over time.

The reason why I and others have suggested Rotel with your B&Ws is because B&W are the UK distributor for Rotel and share the same building on the south coast of England. They are designed or "voiced" to work well together... and in my opinion they do sound the excellent.

Try and get a home demo of a Rotel amp and see for yourself.

Reactions: Al ears

Time Sparrow

Apr 12, 2021
Visit site
Will have a look into the Rotel, after all the advice on here which I am grateful for, going to do some research and maybe try to get some demos of some amps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts