want more BASS!!! ...and advice on NAD and Acoustic Energy evo 3 please

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Keep the amp unless youre prepared to upgrade to the the NAD C352 or the new C355 when its released (i think its a C355).

Change the speakers and go for some B&W's or Monitor Audios

Not sure what your budget is but you can either go for B&W 602 S3's or the 603 S3's (off ebay) or go for Monitor Audio BR5's or the RS6's. Sevenoaks have 25% off the whole Monitor Audio range currently so well worth an audition if you've got one local. There are also some M/A RS6's on Ebay currently which look a very good buy.

I've recently replaced my Acoustic Energy AE309's for the Monitor Audio RS6's and believe me, there's a whole world of difference! The RS6's sound great all the way through with great punchy bass thats not swampy, well timed midrange and crisp treble.

The AE Evo3's were ok at the time but theyre lagging behind now!

I listen to alot of rock as well as fairly bassy music. The RS6's are fantastic!

A

Anonymous

That tip about the Monitor Audio's is much appreciated. I will pay a visit to Sevenoaks as the Monitor Audio BR5 was one of the speakers I have been looking at online today. So now I have a shortlist:

Monitor Audio BR5 (are the BR7's worth the extra, I wonder?) or RS6 from ebay

Wharfedale Evo2-30 (loved my old Wharfedales so any other recommendations from them welcome)

B&W 602 or 603 (latest B&W over my budget of £300 - £450)

Kef IQ5.

Paul.

A

Anonymous

Another option that is often overlooked would to be get a pair of MA RS1s with stands and add a sub like a REL Quake. I've found this combo to give a better sound than competitive floor standers. You will need to tune the sub to the room but it means that you get the benefits of stand mount speakers and the depth of a sub with it's own amplification. Bliss :)

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="pandaiwmm"]
Thank you so much, dan. Coincidently I was reading one of your other unrelated posts when I went back to check on my thread - what a coincidence! That tip about the Monitor Audio's is much appreciated. I didn't realize that the 'sevenoaks' shop I kept reading about had many branches as I thought they were just in Kent! Apparently I have one 30 miles away in Southampton so will pay a visit as the Monitor Audio BR5 was one of the speakers I have been looking at online today. So now I have a shortlist:

Monitor Audio BR5 (are the BR7's worth the extra, I wonder?) or RS6 from ebay

Wharfedale Evo2-30 (loved my old Wharfedales so any other recommendations from them welcome)

B&W 602 or 603 (latest B&W over my budget of £300 - £450)

Kef IQ5.

Paul.

[/quote]

The monitor audio's gave me quite a shock as i said before, i'm a massive fan of B&W's and for the 1st time ever (for me) they were out performed!

For the speakers you've got for above:

KEF IQ5's or the IQ5SE's - Id leave them alone. The tweeter is integrated into the mid/bass driver and i've never liked that. The speakers dont really suit fast bassy music or rock (in my opinion anyways)

Wharfdales - Never really listen to them hardcore but when i have they have been awful. They didnt have good control over the music at all, as if they couldnt cope!

B&W's - The new 600 range is pricey yes, but good. The latter 600 range you can get anywhere from the 600's to the 605's on Ebay if you search hard enough and often enough. The standmount 602 S2's or the 602 S3's are amazing. With the right stands they have superb bass which is fast and punchy and plenty deep enough with great midrange and spot on treble. The 603 S2's or the 603 S3's (floorstanders) are very good BUT need a big enough room for them to breathe in as they can kick out a fair whack of bass (with the right amp they'll rock the house) but again, its fast and punchy with great midrange and spot on treble again. There are some 602 S3's, 603 S2's and 603 S3's on Ebay currently. Well worth looking at! All B&W speakers in this range are easy to drive and your NAD C320BEE has plenty of power as i had that partnered with the 602 S3's at one point!

Monitor Audio - If you're thinking of the BR5's then you cant rule out the RS6's as theyre only £450 @ Sevenoaks and well worth every penny! They outclass the BR5's left, right and centre with ease! Dont get me wrong, the BR5's are very good speakers for the buck but the RS6's just shine so much better! I didnt see the BR7's but did get to audition the RS8's as well which were fantastic but these sound better when bi-amped and cost £600 new @ Sevenoaks with the discount (i think).

With your NAD C320BEE i'd be tempted to go for either the M/A RS6's or the B&W floorstanders. They'll all suit your music down to a tee and believe me, they'll rock the house with no problem!

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys. Yet another coincidence is that I only found out today that my amp can connect to a sub. I thought that was just for surround amps, but there is actually a connection for it!

You both sound very convincing on the MA front and I will actually go to Sevenoaks to listen to the difference (presuming they have both of your suggestions). Just out of curiosity, what do you think about the sub and stand mounts, Dan (apologies if these are your initials)?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="pandaiwmm"]
...but there is actually a connection for it!
[/quote]

A decent sub will have a high and low level input. The low level input is generally used with AV amps. The high level input is the one you'd use for stereo, most likely using a Speakon Neutrik cable. The cable will connect to three of your speaker-out posts on your amp. From these connections the sub's amp will respond according to the signal being sent to the speakers, i.e. it will integrate. The rest comes with tuning the sub's filters. Many an hour can be spent getting just how you like it...:)

nads

[quote user="pandaiwmm"]
but there is actually a connection for it!

[/quote]
sorry but i do not think there is, You have pre outs and main ins, But you need to use them or your speakers will not work. but you could run the pre outs to a power amp and forget the built in amp in the 520.

Any amp can be connected to a sub by the speaker cables but....... not nice.

A

Anonymous

BTW, certainly try the RS6s and 5s, both are very good. I suspect that the RS6s need a strong hand to control the bass, whereas the 5s will be an easier drive. Try them both and see, I'm very interested to see how you get on. With the 70W Rotel RA03 I found that the RS6's bass was a little muddy. The sub and RS1 combo solved it for me. The 5s weren't out at the time.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="nads"]Any amp can be connected to a sub by the speaker cables but....... not nice.[/quote]

Why do you say that? I found the RS1s with a REL Quake gave a much more tuneful, defined and controlled bass over the RS6s. I didn't believe the guys in the store until I tried them. The difference sold me instantly. I'm not the only one to come to that conclusion either. I think with a sub you need to be careful how you tune it and place it in the room.

A

Anonymous

You are right, nads; no sub output. That will teach me for speed reading. I re-read the article..

"...There are no preamp output jacks that would allow the C320 to be used with a subwoofer, however-so if you want to use a sub with this amp, it must be drivable by an amplifier-level signal"

A

Anonymous

Monitor Audio are definately what you are after.

Some say they are a little bright and I can say my GR20's have a little brightness - but it's not a lot and I like it. They are also exceptionally transparent in the midrange area and the bass will kick your chair out from under you. I'm coming from a higher price point though. Check out the RS6's and make sure you have a look on ebay, I saw a pair of my spekers (albeit with 'fixed' damage to the corners) go for £410. A bargain.

Check this outand this

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="pandaiwmm"]
Thanks guys. Yet another coincidence is that I only found out today that my amp can connect to a sub. I thought that was just for surround amps, but there is actually a connection for it!

You both sound very convincing on the MA front and I will actually go to Sevenoaks to listen to the difference (presuming they have both of your suggestions). Just out of curiosity, what do you think about the sub and stand mounts, Dan (apologies if these are your initials)?
[/quote]

Sorry fot late reply.

With regards to standmounts and a sub, it depends on the size of your room. I've had standmounts before and theyre great but you cant beat floorstanders for their overall sound stage.

I'd say the best thing you can do is audition standmounts vs floorstanders (say M/A RS1's s the RS6's) and see if you can audition the RS1's with a sub as well and see what you like best!

Auditioning equipment, especially speakers, is a must!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="d_a_n1979"]Auditioning equipment, especially speakers, is a must![/quote]

Not only a must but a hugely enjoyable and enlightening experience too!

nads

[quote user="igglebert"][quote user="d_a_n1979"]Auditioning equipment, especially speakers, is a must![/quote]

Not only a must but a hugely enjoyable and enlightening experience too![/quote]
But can get costly.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="nads"][quote user="igglebert"][quote user="d_a_n1979"]Auditioning equipment, especially speakers, is a must![/quote]

Not only a must but a hugely enjoyable and enlightening experience too![/quote]
But can get costly.[/quote]

I whole heartedly agree with that comment ^^^

I visited Sevenoaks this weekend and spent £500, i 2/3 months time i can forsee myself spending at least 5 times that! Hmmm Cyrus Pre amps, mono-blocks and B&W speakers....

My god, my other half is gonna crucify me! Haha... It'll be worth it!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="d_a_n1979"]My god, my other half is gonna crucify me! Haha... It'll be worth it![/quote]
Amen...if all they have to worry about is us sneaking around after boxes of transistors then they have nothing to worry about :) Well, other than no money...

A

Anonymous

i've been listening to nad combinations for more than 20 yrs now and think nad amps and cd players always work well together. in your case try all the spkrs you can until you find the right one.

A

Anonymous

Does anyone have an opinion on Wharfedale Diamond 9.6's?

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts