WANT HD BUT NOT SKY - HELP

malg

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
I have a Sony 40W4500 TV and the Pioneer BDP 51FD BD player. Now that I have been totally ruined by BD films, I want access to HD TV channels and would like to know what my options are. I've been told that Sky do have the best access to HD channels, but I don't particularly like the company so would rather not do business with them. Is there a Freeview type alternative? I do buy all editions of WHF, but spend all my time looking at hi-fi gear and bluray players, much to the detriment of paying attention to the stuff I really should (still waiting for the Sennheisser HD 1000 review!)

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Malg, someone who knows more about it than me (which ain`t difficult) will probably tell me I`m wrong, but I think your only other real alternative to Sky (I share your aversion to Sky, by the way) is freesat. You need to get a little dish installed and hook it up to a receiver. You`re pretty limited when it comes to receivers, at present, with the Humax Foxsat HD being your best option. Also, the selection of channels available is`nt exactly huge - and I can`t see this situation improving anytime soon, considering the state of the economy across the western world. On the plus side, you will be able to access BBC and ITV HD content, which can`t be bad. I don`t know what the rules are on this forum regards buying and selling bits of kit, but I`ve got a brand new Humax receiver, in it`s box, sitting here doing nothing. I bought it for my mum, but she did`nt want it, and I did`nt bother taking it back to the shop. If you made me a sensible, genuine offer, I`d be happy to post it to you. Like I said, I don`t know how we`d go about organising it, because I don`t know what the forum rules are, but this is an honest offer, if you`re interested.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
There are three non-Sky options open to you:

Freeview HD. Not available yet, but rolling out nationwide from the end of the year. Pilot programmes first, then on a broader base. you'll need a reciever and a standard aerial.

Freesat: As the previous poster said, mostly via a Humax Foxsat box. This is what I have, as I am in rented accommodation and didn't want to upgrade the dish here (an old sky dish) for Sky HD. I know it's got BBC HD and ITV HD, but there's never anything on ITV HD (and it's not a proper HD Channel - it's a redbutton interactive station, rather than standalone and is 720p/Stereo to BBC's 1080i/dolby digital (but not always). All you get on ITV HD is champions league, and the rest isn't worth the effort. BBC HD is good, and getting better. Grundig also do these boxes, but Humax is better. Panasonic build it into some screens and have a HD Blu-Ray recorder, but seeing as you've got a BD player and top LCD, you're unlikely to want to change any of that.

The third option- is Virgin. They have recently added several new HD channels to their existing line-up. Including C4-HD, which strangely hasn't been picked up by Freesat.

If you want the best HD - get sky. If you want the best HD that isn't sky, I'd get Virgin.

A

Anonymous

Big Aura:Freeview HD.

Depending on the OP's location this could be anything from months to years away, and will it carry anything more than freesat?

Virgin cable (if avaliable) like said have a few HD channels but it's still very much the poor mans sky, and given it's taken them literally years to add anything more than the BBC HD preview channel I wouldn't join them in the hope they'll catch up anytime soon. That said, if you're happy with just a couple of HD channels, some HD on demand stuff (free with certain packages and not too shabby, but if you watch much telly you'll soon work through it) and a few hysterically overpriced VOD films it's alright.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
unconditional:

Big Aura:Freeview HD.

Depending on the OP's location this could be anything from months to years away

... hence the "Not available yet, but rolling out nationwide from the end of the year. Pilot programmes first, then on a broader base..."

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I think the OP's dislike of Sky is due to the fact that it`s a subscription service. I can't be sure of this however, as he does'nt appear to have replied to any replies. If it is the case that he wants a subscription free service, then freesat is the only way to go, surely. I wonder if we'll ever find out. Maybe he's still considering my Humax offer...

TRENDING THREADS