WAF be damned! TB2i a worthy successor to my 602 S3s?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
After looking at* a myriad of glossy speakers and thinking I'm making too mant sacrifices to The Wife's sense of aesthetics. I've gone back to basics and thought about what would be the best large standmount a grand-and-a-bit would get me.

The electronics and cabling would all be staying (as would the stands for the moment), and my musical taste isn't gonna change either, so I was just wondering if I should make the effort to hunt down and demo some TB2is.

Floorstanders are out due to the arm of a sofa obscuring any drivers below about 50cms from my listening position. Also, due to using the PV1 too, I don't feel like I'm missing out on the low stuff (quite the opposite if I required it).

*Just looking at. Not listening to at this stage. Haven't got the bunce allocated at present.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Didn't really wanna break £1500. Also (and this after berating The Wife's emphasis on aesthetics :oops: ), they may be a tad too retro for me.

A

Anonymous

Chris

Well below your budget but the B&W CM5's are definitely worthy of a listen; theyre superb speakers and very precise too and will gel well with the PV1

You could however consider the M/A PL100's as well...

The 602's are still brilliant speakers but they can be bettered but you'd have to spend closer to £1k if not more to hear the difference IMO

Big Chris said:
After looking at* a myriad of glossy speakers and thinking I'm making too mant sacrifices to The Wife's sense of aesthetics. I've gone back to basics and thought about what would be the best large standmount a grand-and-a-bit would get me.

The electronics and cabling would all be staying (as would the stands for the moment), and my musical taste isn't gonna change either, so I was just wondering if I should make the effort to hunt down and demo some TB2is.

Floorstanders are out due to the arm of a sofa obscuring any drivers below about 50cms from my listening position. Also, due to using the PV1 too, I don't feel like I'm missing out on the low stuff (quite the opposite if I required it).

*Just looking at. Not listening to at this stage. Haven't got the bunce allocated at present.

BC, as a fellow Arcamer, PMC sound terrific with the brand. Only heard DB1is and the original GB1s, so as a benchmark the new TB2is should be stonking, in my view.

Don't rule out the new MA GX range: listened to the GX100 (with Cyrus not Arc) alongside RX6 and the sound from ribbon tweeter is more rounded - better balanced.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I haven't forgotten the EB2s either. I know they were the pick of the bunch up to around £1k, but would definitely prefer to hear before buying (and yes I do know they can be returned, but they also seem to have a long wait before being delivered).

Big Chris said:

Another thought: Totem. Only heard the Arro, a scarily small floostander, and they punch like a one of the big boys. If you don't want to scrutinise every sonic aspect they'll certainly indent big time. Brilliant, fun speaker.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts