Wadia ipod dock ... or Arcam ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

A friend asked me about these 2 docks - the Wadia he can get used and the Arcam new / discounted.

He has an ipod classic 80gb and Onkyo a/v amp - I can't think of the model number but it was RRP of about £400 a year or so back.

Any views on the best option for him?

I guess the Wadia is useful for it's digital output and that will allow him to make the best of the DAC in his amp and further upgrade in such a way, when he upgrades his amp in the future at some point ........ clearly he will need to have stuff stored in a lossless way to get the best of that option.

Am I right in thinking they both would simply use the ipod own DAC if using analogue outputs? In which case if that was his preferred connection is the Arcam the better option (cheaper)..... ?

Thoughts appreciated - ta !?!?

manicm

That's correct, both would use the iPod's own DAC via analogue out.

If your friend will *never* connect to a DAC go for the Arcam, otherwise consider the equally capable, and cheaper, alternative to the Wadia - the Onkyo digital iPod dock - but has digital out only.

I've read nothing but rave reviews for the Onkyo.

caddyhound

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
The digital outputs will produce a far superior sound through his amp's dac.The onkyo is cheaper and highly recommended but the Wadia sounds great.Using apple lossless with the ipod classic will produce almost cd quality.I had mine modified by Audiocom and it is now on a par with my cd player but much more convenient.Doubled the cost though!

A

Anonymous

Cheers all ....

He went for the Wadia and picks it up this week I gather.....

What is the mod you speak of caddy?

caddyhound

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
The Audiocom International mod is offered on the well known auction site.It has 2 levels - 1 which is expensive and 2 - which includes 1 and is ruinous.As I only use the Digital outputs I went for the level 1 which improves the power supplies,replaces the Caps with Supercaps and an improved digital output socket.Can't speak too highly of it , and worth every penny.

I should also have mentioned that my iDock came from it's previous owner with an upgraded PSU which he said was a worthwhile improvement.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I cannot really see why anyone would go for the Wadia now the Onkyo ND-S1 is available for £140 or less. (Even better given he has an Onkyo AV amp with built in DAC.)

The Onkyo charges, allows you to sync iTunes with the PC/laptop plugged into the transport, and has a remote, and you can play from the computer too.

(WHF 5 star review and high praise from another respected UK hifi mag too.)

Is it a brand thing? Is it because Onkyo is perceived as 'mass market'?

A

Anonymous

caddyhound:The onkyo is cheaper and highly recommended but the Wadia sounds great.

As there's nothing in the digital 'signal path' that has anything to do with sound, the Onkyo and the Wadia will sound absolutely identical through the same DAC.
There might be reasons for buying the Wadia. But then it will be things like build quality, design etc. Soundwise the two are equal, and can't possibly be anything but equal as long as they get digital signals from the iPod and do not convert these signals to analogue ones.
Using apple lossless with the ipod classic will produce almost cd quality.

Anyone who's able to hear a difference between a CD and a lossless rip of the same CD, through the same DAC and without knowing which is which, will probably also be able to hear the grass grow.

caddyhound

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
I didn't say that - I said that lossless through my ipod and idock was almost CD quality which is a different thing.My modified iDock sounds considerably better than before it was modified due to the improved components.CD players sound different so why should docks be any different.I haven't heard the Onkyo dock so can't comment on it ,it may or may not sound the same as the Wadia.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts