VPI turntables

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I know it's doubtful anyone here listened to VPI turntables ?

Im interested in the VPI Prime Scout @£2650 - local dealers are quite thin on the ground - my nearest is Analogue Seduction but he hasn't got a Prime Scout on demo

cheers

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'd love to have one on demo... :(

I've only heard the Prime, which was at Bristol last year and the year before. Presumably it's just a bit less of the same thing - the Prime sounds fantastic.

friendly_ghost

May 8, 2014
Visit site
When auditioning for my turntable I compared a first generation Scout to a Michell Tecnodec.
The clichés about the VPI were all true, a more robust sound with more bass. Prefered it over the Tecnodec (which did not have an arm as good and was considerably cheaper).

I hated the look though, so went with an Analogue Works in the end.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Thanks David for the response

funnily enough my local dealer in Nottingham - Castle Sound & Vision are VPI dealers - they only have the Prime on demo which is one up from the £2650 Prime Scout

I am going to pop in at some point and have a listen to it - only trouble is I will want the Prime

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Yes the Scout isn't a looker - however the Prime Scout is a different beast altogether - it looks like a slimmer version of the Prime ( i.e. Thinner platter but still big imo )

decided to sell my Gyro / SME IV as it's not being used with me preferring the sound of my RP8 - I just can't stomach dropping £3k on an RP10 when there are decks like the VPI about

stevebrock said:
Yes the Scout isn't a looker - however the Prime Scout is a different beast altogether - it looks like a slimmer version of the Prime ( i.e. Thinner platter but still big imo )

decided to sell my Gyro / SME IV as it's not being used with me preferring the sound of my RP8 - I just can't stomach dropping £3k on an RP10 when there are decks like the VPI about

I have heard a friends original Scout, cannot recall too much about it or indeed which cartridge he was using at the time (an Ortofon of some description I think).

From what I recall there was nothing unpleasant about the presentation.

Try to audition the Prime as it will give you a good idea as to how the Scout Prime will sound particularly if you equip both with the same cartridge as they have the same tonearm.

Saying that I see the Scout Prime is no longer listed as a production model on their website unless it's simply a Scout with optional Prime platter and periphery-ring, which I guess it is.

I am interested in why, with the large choice available in that price bracket, you went for an American turntable.

Are you by any chance a Donald Trump fanatic?? :)

(Says he with a German one........ well at least the arm is British.. ;-) )

The nice folks in Audio Destination were playing a Scout when I visited about three years ago. As above, I've also heard them at the Bristol show.

Very fine sound, but I tend to think they are more suitable if you like tinkering. The one I heard had those lead out wires which you tweak to adjust the bias/anti-skating.

Would wonder about the $ 'penalty', though it never held me back when buying my Krells!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
the Prime Scout is a new model for 2017 - a few U.K. Online dealers are showing it as a 2017.

no reason I've picked a US deck - but I like the looks it's well engineered and sounds nice from what I have read in the forums.

my limit is £3k - what else should I look at ? I know he WTL decks get a following but really not taken by the looks and that is a factor for me.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
From renaissance audio uk website

Prime Scout

£2650

2017 connects the old and new generation of the VPI family. The original Scout, the world best reviewed turntable was made as an easy to use high-end turntable that trickled down the technology of the higher priced VPIs. Now the 2017 Scout (Prime Scout) re-defines and solidifies the direction and performance of a VPI turntable. Fitted with improved isolation, a more robust motor, thicker chassis, and improved precision throughout, the Scout is ready to take your music to the next level. The aesthetics have also been updated to match the multi award winning Prime to complete the Prime series of Prime Scout, Prime & Prime Signature.

stevebrock said:
From renaissance audio uk website

Prime Scout

£2650

2017 connects the old and new generation of the VPI family. The original Scout, the world best reviewed turntable was made as an easy to use high-end turntable that trickled down the technology of the higher priced VPIs. Now the 2017 Scout (Prime Scout) re-defines and solidifies the direction and performance of a VPI turntable. Fitted with improved isolation, a more robust motor, thicker chassis, and improved precision throughout, the Scout is ready to take your music to the next level. The aesthetics have also been updated to match the multi award winning Prime to complete the Prime series of Prime Scout, Prime & Prime Signature.

Thanks for that. Just curious why it didn't appear on their own website.

Don't let me put you off but for three grand there are plenty to choose from, admittedly some difficulty in auditioning most of them.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
That's the problem Al - auditioning takes time abd I'm never going to hear what one can do in my system with my cartridge !

I like the look of the NA decks - not so keen on Avid

im in no rush but im going to listen to a Prime to get an idea of the sound

stevebrock said:
That's the problem Al - auditioning takes time abd I'm never going to hear what one can do in my system with my cartridge !

I like the look of the NA decks - not so keen on Avid

im in no rush but im going to listen to a Prime to get an idea of the sound

Excellent. Take your cartridge along and should give very good idea as to what Scout Prime will sound like.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
The Prime Scout is a brand new deck for 2017 - I have spoken to the importer and they have a load landing this week - with the magazines getting their hands on them for review so I expect reviews will be forthcoming by April

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
The Prime Scout is a brand new deck for 2017 - I have spoken to the importer and they have a load landing this week - with the magazines getting their hands on them for review so I expect reviews will be forthcoming by April.

Analogue Seduction will be getting one - I bought my Amps from there so I will demo one soon with the same gear I am using at home

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
the Prime Scout is a new model for 2017 - a few U.K. Online dealers are showing it as a 2017.

no reason I've picked a US deck - but I like the looks it's well engineered and sounds nice from what I have read in the forums.

my limit is £3k - what else should I look at ? I know he WTL decks get a following but really not taken by the looks and that is a factor for me.
For that sort of budget surely a Technics SL1200 G must be worth looking at ?

friendly_ghost

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I'd look into auditioning a Kuzma Stabi S for that money, although I've heard they're also hard to audition in the UK.
Might I ask what you "disliked" or hope to improve compared to the Gyro?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
The sound - prefer the RP8..........my tinnitus has made a big difference - I need to go and demo some systems - if they all sound the sound I might have to consider downgrading

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts