Volume control

DavidNorway

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Its been a while since i was last here but i really need some opinions and help.My amp which i bought 2 years ago (in August)has lost its control on low volume.Not easy to explain but to say when i want that very low volume just background it is very unstable,its too quiet or then very loud! this is when i control it by hand,when controling from computer or other device no problem.

Why has this happened!what should i do? and do i have a right to complain?

The amp is a Hegel h70 which i believe is not availible in the Uk but its made here in Norway and has a good name,its still a current product that sells for 1000 pound so i dont think its a cheap amp but not high end.

Any thoughts?

David

Not familiar with your amp, but mechanical volume controls do sometimes produce uneven tracking at low volumes, or the channels do not match until you get louder.

At least your remote works!

Here in UK we have consumer rights that say a product of that quality/value should last more than two years, and in any case, many manufacturers offer 2, 3, 4 or 5 year guarantees. Did you buy direct or from a dealer?

DavidNorway

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I bought the amp from a dealer who is also the distributor for the brand in Norway.You cant buy direct from Hegel only availible from the one dealer which has about 10 shops in the chain.The remote that came with the amp has never been any good infact never used it, i either get off my arse to adjust volume or controll via itunes or spotify.

David

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Hey David, I'm sorry to hear about your problem. Potentiometers or volume knobs often have this problem in budget kit but a 1000 pound amp having this issue is unforgiveable. I recommend you contact the manufacturer and tell them about your disappointment with the quality of their product and that you shouldn't be facing such a problem with a product of this calibre....maybe they'll replace it for free, even if they charge you it is not the most expensive thing to replace.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
If it's no longer covered by warranty & you're comfortable taking the covers off, you could try cleaning the potentiometer with contact cleaner. This YouTube video goes on a bit but gives an idea of how to do it & what with.

DavidNorway

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Ok guys thanks for your thoughts.Let say it was a denon or Cambridge or Nad Amp at that value and you had bought it in richer sounds or sevenoaks etc,what would you expect to be done from the dealer or manufactorer?

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Of course your first option should be to try and get the amp seen to if you think this is a new problem.

An alternative is to try a pair of attenuators in your system such as thoses from Goldenjacks, they will allow you to crank the volume pot up a bit and may help.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi DavidNorway,

It may not be the amplifiers fault at all .

It could be that your source output is too high and overloading the input section of your amplifier making the range the volume control too small and limiting the amount of control at low volumes .

It may be possible to reduce the output of your source which should cure the problem , or if this is not possible then an attenuated interconnect will have a similar effect or maybe some Rothwell attenuators .

http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/attenuators.html

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts