Virgin TiVo

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I got mine yesterday. i'm very pleased with it, very easy to uses. I turned it on this morning and i've got sky sports & movies. Fringers crossed i'll have the channels for the weekend.

A

Anonymous

I've got the chap here now installing mine and he has confirmed (as with sky) the maximum resolution is 1080i

A

Anonymous

Just notice that you can get full 5.1 DD via the HDMI on the new TiVo, that's 1Up over my Sky+HD box.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
A few usership oddities so far, but hopefully Virgin can sort with updates at later stage. Otherwise, very happy with picture quality and response (though ours has frozen once already)

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else tried BBC iPlayer HD yet with the TiVo? - it is excellent - no skipping/stalling etc. Just watched first episode of Dr Who new series. Probably because of the dedicated 10mb broadband line that comes with it, but I may actually start to enjoy streamed tv.

We also got two calls from Virgin customer service today - following up a subtitle issue we had (ghosting on the screen). Not bad.

A

Anonymous

There are currently no broadcasts in 1080P. 1080i is therefore currently the best picture you can get.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
camac said:
Only downside is that my Harmony One does`nt seem to recognise the tivo box but I am able to use the settings for the v+hd box, maybe it will just take time for Logitech to get it on the database. One Happy Bunny.

I've kept my Harmony One with the same settings as for the V+ box and it seems to work OK with TiVo for now.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
camac said:
Getting mine installed tomorrow (Wed), my concern is the P.Q. as one post said picture quality was not as good and one said there was no difference. Just would`nt like to pay the premium for Tivo only to discover the p.q. was`nt as good as v+hd . Anybody else who has had it installed have an opinion on p.q.

As for picture quality, I'd say it's every bit as good as the old V+ box. BBC One HD's transmission of the royal wedding looked excellent, and the DD 5.1 soundtrack was good too.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I'm considering the TiVO as part of the annual contract re-negotiation with Virgin. ;)
I know it has it's own internet connection, can anyone tell me whether it has the ability to connect a wired internet connection from it to another device, e.g. blu-ray player? Thanks.

camac

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
I had a monkey around with my Harmony One and tried using the Tivo remote to program the Harmony but i only succeeded in messing it up , so it was back to the V+hd settings and as Andy said they work fine but you lose some features like "previous channel", "clear" and a few other minor features, but Heh you can`t have everything.

A

Anonymous

i
PQ issue- there might be a diference between the older sa v+ and the samsung v+,i have the sa+ and i think the PQ is slightly better than then tivo but just SLIGHTLY.
anyway the point in getting the tivo is to have the bigger hdd and the suggestions feature(works fine imo)overall i'm very pleased with my TIVO.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I love Virgin - you think they're improving and then...a letter from "Head of Contact Management" stating that as our balance is a little higher than usual, they will "apply a spending limit on your account, which will prevent you from using your services".

Duh!!! They've just sold me two Virgin TiVo boxes at £149 each this month.... Might be the reason my bill is larger than usual???

I have come to realise, after a long wait on hold, that there are probably a lot of (Scottish) people in phone centres that spend a lot of time apologising for automatically-issued letters from the Virgin Head of Contact Management :)

Apologies for the ethnic reference if inappropriate, Andrew, but enjoying the contact with the north, before Scottish Independence happens and us English south of the border have to try to survive on our own.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
I guess it's worth calling Virgin's sales team to see what kind of a deal they can offer you. As an existing customer, I'm sure they'll be keen to keep you
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

Have any of you managed to get the BBC red button to work? I wanted to watch 125cc and moto2 before motogp yesterday.

I pressed the red button and all i got was iplayer. Is it me or the box?

Cheers.

rob_981

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
That's what I thought Andy, particularly as I'd pre-registered for the 1TB box. But no, no offer of free installation. Which makes the 500GB box not really worth it compared to the 1TB box. Need to decide whether to splash the extra cash for the bigger box now.

A

Anonymous

black dan said:
Have any of you managed to get the BBC red button to work? I wanted to watch 125cc and moto2 before motogp yesterday.

I pressed the red button and all i got was iplayer. Is it me or the box?

Cheers.

When mine was installed recently the engineer stated this would happen with the red button service, but gave no indication that he knew when this would be sorted.

A

Anonymous

At the moment there's no red button on BBC or sky sports on tivo AFAIK later this year.good news for those how have pic quality issues there's a firmware update coming in a few months that should improve pq and other tissues

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Andy Clough said:
I guess it's worth calling Virgin's sales team to see what kind of a deal they can offer you. As an existing customer, I'm sure they'll be keen to keep you
smiley-smile.gif
I'm just out of contract and was going to use a deal on the 30mb broadband (which new XL customers get as opposed to my 20mb on XL) plus a TiVO to sign up to a new 12 month contract. Unfortunately the Retention Dept. don't have access to the TiVO yet, so I'm giving it another month or so.

A

Anonymous

I've had my tivo box for about 4 weeks now and ever since it was fitted, i've had sky sports and sky movies even tho it's not in my package. I also downloaded a movie Just got my bill and there no sign of any of it.
smiley-laughing.gif

Anyone else having is great problem?

If so why and how long will it stay like this?

A

Anonymous

The Tech Specs on the review are incorrect. TiVo has 3 tuners not 2 as stated.
I'm having the TiVo installed tomorrow, let's hope it's as good as they say

A

Anonymous

had my tivo for 6 months now and love it . the £50 rebate was just a bonus to a great bit of kit.

ok some recordings have ended prematurly ,but this seems to be getting better. my only problem is that i have too much great content to watch (350gb at present) and not enough time to watch it all !

f**k sky and the Murdoch scum !

A

Anonymous

had my tivo for 6 months now and love it . the £50 rebate was just a bonus to a great bit of kit.

ok some recordings have ended prematurly ,but this seems to be getting better. my only problem is that i have too much great content to watch (350gb at present) and not enough time to watch it all !

A

Anonymous

rockmanrock said:

You do realise that Sky owns VMTV, which is the content provider for a large number of basic channels on the M, L and XL packages, so some of your cash you pay out a month, will still be going back to Sky.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts