virgin media

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
my sky hd box in the bedroom has packed up so i thought as i had been with sky for 11 years with the top package paying on average between £600 to now £800 they may be accomadating and give me a free hd box but no so i tried the cancelation department but no joy they just said no if you want to go to virgin thats your choice so thats what you get for being a loyal customer. anyway i know virgin to free repairs on servicing on there equipment but would like to know from anyone that has changed from sky to virgin is it any better then sky for service picture quality etc i was thinking of the tivo service is it any good any help would be most helpful :)

jjbomber

Sky picture is a country mile better. After you have cancelled for about 6 weeks they will come back with a better offer. Otherwise you can get a second hand HD box for about £30 from FleaBay. The one thing that Virgin's Tivo is good for is Spotify. Customer service is hit and miss with both; you can be lucky and you can also be unlucky. Last week I managed to speak to a guy at Virgin doing an impression of two short planks, who then put me through to the most helpful chappie I have ever spoken to at Virgin. All luck of the draw.

ukdavej

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
I was a Sky customer donkeys years ago so it's probably not relevant to compare what I used to have with my Virgin set-up now. I have 60mb BB, all inclusive phone and XL TV with the Tivo box and free second HD box. I pay £67 a month for that but have no premium Sports or movie channels.

Tivo is great although the fact it records stuff it "thinks" you might like is a bit weird at first. The box is pretty fast, quiet and has tons of space (I have a 1tb version).

The only problem really with VM is the customer support. They do have centres in the UK and Europe which are not bad but the one in the sub-continent is so bad it's laughable really. That said, the only times I have to call them is when I've changed my package or had new kit etc. From a stability point of view, its bob on.

I would invoke your cancellation with Sky as sometimes the deed rather than the threat focuses their minds somewhat

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
When I compare packages Sky sems to win. 60mb seems great but unless yr downloading is serious then I would argue 8mb is fine. I have yet to see DD advertised by Virgin. I would be interested to know about this. All films and many Sky/HD channels are great aounding in DD.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
I have yet to see DD advertised by Virgin. I would be interested to know about this. All films and many Sky/HD channels are great aounding in DD.

I can assure you that you get DD on the HD channels on Virgin, although some programes are not always broadcast with a DD soundtrack.

As to the broadband the whole point of the faster speeds & more bandwidth is dependent on how you use it, 20mb from Sky is certainly not enough for our house as we have 3 ps3's running at the same time occasionally & up to 4 laptops.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Certainly, f1, 7 pcs is a huge demand. I would suggeat however, that those are not downloading simultaneously and the delays in downloading are rarely due to line speeds but more the internet servers. Using a line of 2mb, and later 100mb was great for 100 / 200 pcs in a school environment. Good to know about Virgins dd output but it remains difficult to know exactly what u get. WHF? Lets have a review to compare! Cheers

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Good to know about Virgins dd output but it remains difficult to know exactly what u get. WHF? Lets have a review to compare! Cheers

It can be said the same as Sky it is difficult to know what you get. As Sky, Virgin also sell in packages which for me are of not much use, as i would prefer to pick channels individually.

For example i got told by Sky that the F1 channel is free, well it is not free you have to pay £20 for the sport package & then you get it free so £160 per year for F1 on sky & i am not interested in the rest of the sport package so it is a waste of money.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Hi f1. Agreed packages are confusing. Hence the plea to WHF. Else if others were interested users could compile channels/dd output etc. I would wish to say that Sky F1 channel IS free to HD customers. I dont have sports but enjoy the sky coverage. After a full lunch, a snooze then replay the overtake. :)

daveh75

jjbomber said:
But you don't have to get packages.

F1 means channel packs. You can't pick and choose individual channels, you have to subscribe to various packs, so you end up paying for a load shite channels you don't watch (which far outnumber the watchable channels), to get the ones you do.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Agreed jj. Packages ofcourse give better value usually. I think we all try to get what we want but at the best price. I chose sky hd for quality and choice adding bb and phone for added value a?d convenience. If something goes wrong only one company is responsible. A lesson learned after issues with sky/bt over 12 months. Ultra fast bb is less vital for me

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts