Virgin Media

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
If (like me) you're a Virgin Media customer, they're offering some handy discounts right now. Had a flyer through the post this morning offering the XL TV package (140 channels), unlimited weekday and weekend UK phone calls and 20MB broadband for £56/month, a saving of £20. Just upgraded and the super-fast broadband works a treat. And I'll be able to spend hours on the phone without racking up the charges. And if anyone's interested, they're offering half-price installation on the V+ box, down from £150 to £75. Mind you, doesn't entirely make up for the appalling lack of HD content on the V+ box, but hey ho, means I can post replies more quickly on the Forums...

northantsbloke34

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
If (like me) you're a Virgin Media customer, they're offering some handy discounts right now.

Had a flyer through the post this morning offering the XL TV package (140 channels), unlimited weekday and weekend UK phone calls and 20MB broadband for £56/month, a saving of £20. Just upgraded and the super-fast broadband works a treat. And I'll be able to spend hours on the phone without racking up the charges.

Hi Andy

I'm a VM customer to with v+. Just looked on their web page but could not find the said offer. Wondering if ths is just in your area perhaps?

ps agree about the HD content!

A

Anonymous

Like Andy, I too received the flyer and took up the offer. I'm on Tyneside and it came last week. Broadband speed is excellent, consistently over 18MB.

I agree about the HD content - does anyone know if Virgin Media have anything in the pipeline?

John Duncan

[quote user="Andy Clough"]If (like me) you're a Virgin Media customer, they're offering some handy discounts right now.

Had a flyer through the post this morning offering the XL TV package (140 channels), unlimited weekday and weekend UK phone calls and 20MB broadband for £56/month, a saving of £20. Just upgraded and the super-fast broadband works a treat. And I'll be able to spend hours on the phone without racking up the charges.

And if anyone's interested, they're offering half-price installation on the V+ box, down from £150 to £75.

Mind you, doesn't entirely make up for the appalling lack of HD content on the V+ box, but hey ho, means I can post replies more quickly on the Forums...[/quote]

Can I get them together - ie V+ box and the channel deal? Is it open to existing cutomers? And finally, if it is localised, are you in the same area as me (ie near your office)?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]

Can I get them together - ie V+ box and the channel deal? Is it open to existing cutomers? And finally, if it is localised, are you in the same area as me (ie near your office)?[/quote]
Yes, should be able to. I've always found it's worth haggling with them on the phone, as they seem to be desperate to hang on to customers and stop them defecting to Sky. So haggle hard and see what you can get!

As far as I know the offer is national, not local, although not all areas yet have the 20MB broadband.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
I have the normal package. I am not going to upgrade as I will be moving very soon-hopefully. The one thing I notice when looking at cable is the picture quality is a little poorer then freeview. Also the picture seems a little larger and as a result pixelation problems seems to be more exposed. Has anyone else noticed this?

northantsbloke34

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Anton90125"]
I have the normal package. I am not going to upgrade as I will be moving very soon-hopefully. The one thing I notice when looking at cable is the picture quality is a little poorer then freeview. Also the picture seems a little larger and as a result pixelation problems seems to be more exposed. Has anyone else noticed this?

[/quote]

Sorry i have to disagree. The picture on virgin is fantastic esp now we have v+. It is way better than freeview. The skin tones a so sharp esp through our pani px70. We have freeview on the telly in the conservatory which is fine but i wouldn't have it on the main telly

H

John Duncan

I'm comparing apples and oranges here, but the quality of Freeview from my Humax PVR is better than my (standard, not V+) Virgin cable, on the rare occasion that I uproot the Humax from the kitchen and play it through the big telly. And I don't mean just a little bit. It may just be you just have a relatively lower quality freeview box?

Jonathan Evans

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I find the Virgin + service really good on the whole. Lack of HD content apart, of course.

The picture is very good - better than the freeview tuner in my Panasonic plasma. And there's a scary number of times when having three tuners is just what's required. Probably shouldn't confess that, but still. I'll blame my wife(swap)
But...
I'm a bit miffed that I didn't know about this offer.
I've been a loyal customer (Telewest/Blueyonder/Virgin) for more than 10 years and at the moment I'm paying way more than the offer each month. For an inferior product.

Caveat emptor and all that, but still...

If they don't knock a massive chunk off my bill and bump my BB up to 20meg, I genuinely will think long and hard about jumping ship to Sky.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="Jonathan_E"]

If they don't knock a massive chunk off my bill and bump my BB up to 20meg, I genuinely will think long and hard about jumping ship to Sky.[/quote]
Give it a go. Threatened to go over to Sky myself and suddenly Virgin became very helpful, offering a variety of upgrades/discounts.

A

Anonymous

Confused...

That sounds like the VIP package? Everything max'ed out. I take it this is just one box though?

The VIP is £85 but you do get an extra standard box on top.

I'm on the VIP but it sounds like this offer is different...? Is there a code to quote on the paperwork????

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
I upgraded to the XL package with 20Mb broadband, all-inclusive UK phone calls (weekday and weekend) and the V+ box for £65/month (normally £85). That includes one V+ box, which is an extra £10/mth on the package price.

Considering my last monthly bill was over £100 (mainly cos of the phone), that's quite a saving.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Jonathan_E"]

I'm a bit miffed that I didn't know about this offer.

I've been a loyal customer (Telewest/Blueyonder/Virgin) for more than 10 years and at the moment I'm paying way more than the offer each month. For an inferior product.
Caveat emptor and all that, but still...
If they don't knock a massive chunk off my bill and bump my BB up to 20meg, I genuinely will think long and hard about jumping ship to Sky.[/quote]

The best way to get your package changed is to tell the Retentions dept. you're moving to Sky because of the cost. They will then offer you a deal. Dont take the first offer. Make them ring you back. You'll get a better offer.

You'll find Virgin forums elsewhere with details of all the offers they are getting. .

Retentions dept. Dial 150, then 4, then 2. (Dont go through Customer Services, you'll get nothing out of them!)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andy Clough"]

I upgraded to the XL package with 20Mb broadband, all-inclusive UK phone calls (weekday and weekend) and the V+ box for £65/month (normally £85). That includes one V+ box, which is an extra £10/mth on the package price.

Considering my last monthly bill was over £100 (mainly cos of the phone), that's quite a saving.

[/quote]

I phoned up to moan about a cheaper Sky package available with Sky Sports included. I didnt haggle that much, but I got a V+ box for £30, and no monthly charge.

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi guys, as a Virgin Media customer who works for Sky, I recommend the latter. My experience with Virgin Media since Branson took over has been incredibly frustrating and annoying. Their customer service is nothing short of a joke. The debacle with Wrestlemania 24 is the last straw!

A

Anonymous

For those that get V+ make sure you check your monthly statements. I paid £75 up front by switch for the V+ box in December and the following month's statement included a £150 installation charge.

The pleb I spoke to at Virgin seemed to know exactly what I was talking about (as if it happened all the time) and took the charge off my account.

So all those who don't bother opening their statements up - do!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts