Virgin Media Volume !!!!

camac

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
Curious as to why the listening volume from the Tivo Box through my av receiver is different on HD & SD channels.

I have a Tivo box in the lounge connected by hd cable to my a.v.receiver and on most hd channels (ITV hd being the exception) i have to turn the volume up on my av receiver by 10db to listen at the same volume as sd channels.

In my bedroom i have a V+ HD box connected by hd cable directly into the tv, no volume difference on any channels.

Is anyone in the same situation , or know the answer ?

Thanks.

jeff1967

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
hi CAMAC,

I have the same problem. According to VM forum it is due to the dynamic range of the digital signal on the HD channel.

regards,

jeff.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
The HD channels are encrypted so the Tivo box has no control of the volume for those channels - the decryption happens in the AV amp. The SD channels it can control, so you can probably get the volumes to match by reducing the volume on the Tivo box. I have the same issue with my Humax FreeSat box so the family are under strict instructions to never use the volume control on that.

camac

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
I have found a partial solution.

If you go into "Settings" in the Tivo menu, then "Audio", then change from "Doby Digital" to "Dolby Digital to PCM".

All the volume levels are the same for both sd and hd channels.

Only problem , you wont get Dolby Digital sound on Dolby Digital HD brodcasts.

I think ?????

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts