Vinyl to Digital services

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Been thinking for a while about digging out all my old vinyl albums and converting to digital, but rather than buying all the necessary hardware and software, I was thinking about getting it done by a professional firm; has anyone used such a service and was it good value?

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
The process is quite time consuming and any post processing to remove clicks and pops etc. can be laborious.

Here is a Link - Clicky to some (eye watering) prices for vinyl to MP3 / CD conversion ... the prices seem more reasonable but still very expensive when you consider that it's someone's time you are paying for.

How much vinyl do you have and what's putting you off doing it yourself?

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
tino said:
The process is quite time consuming and any post processing to remove clicks and pops etc. can be laborious.

Here is a Link - Clicky to some (eye watering) prices for vinyl to MP3 / CD conversion ... the prices seem more reasonable but still very expensive when you consider that it's someone's time you are paying for.

Hi Tino, what's putting me off is that I don't have any equipment for the job (apart from a pc), and your first sentence!

I've got about 300 vinyl albums but I just want to convert the ones that are either unavailable or sonically superior to their remastered clone, so it it will probably be less than 40 or so.

I figured that the equivalent price of a CD would be fairly reasonable; say £10-£15 but those prices are, as you say, eye-watering. Pay for what you get I suppose; more research needed methinks.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Gusboll said:
tino said:

Hi Tino, what's putting me off is that I don't have any equipment for the job (apart from a pc), and your first sentence!

I've got about 300 vinyl albums but I just want to convert the ones that are either unavailable or sonically superior to their remastered clone, so it it will probably be less than 40 or so.

For £800 you could buy a very capable TT and USB phono stage, do it yourself and then sell them on and not lose anything like that sort of money.

I figured that the equivalent price of a CD would be fairly reasonable; say £10-£15 but those prices are, as you say, eye-watering. Pay for what you get I suppose; more research needed methinks.

Yeah but CDs can be done in a couple of minutes on batch convertors, vinyl's real time, and is much more labour intensive.

nads

you dont actually need to buy anything if you are currently able to play them.

Phono stage RCA to PC and record.

or if the amp has the Phono stage built in. use the Tape out from the amp.

but a new turntable is a better investment and use it.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
nads said:
you dont actually need to buy anything if you are currently able to play them.

Phono stage RCA to PC and record.
Assuming the sound card in the PC is of high quality/low noise (which most aren't).

But as others have said the real "cost" is in time, especially if you go down the murky road of noise reduction as you really need to make real-time comparisons. When I did some many years ago when CD-R first appeared, I found that by the time I'd finished the album I wasn't in any hurry to listen to it again!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts